Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2021, 18:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bulging on Tyre : Can I repair it?

Guys, my Vento running on 2-year old Yokohama BluEarth's has developed a bulge on the LHS Front Tyre. What possibly could be the reason and what are the options for this to be fixed?
Old 29th August 2021, 18:59   #2
BHPian

re: Bulging on Tyre : Can I repair it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
2-year old Yokohama BluEarth's has developed a bulge on the LHS Front Tyre. What possibly could be the reason and what are the options for this to be fixed?
The reason must be damage caused while driving and the cords are damaged. Nothing else to do than replace with a new one of the same brand and threads.
Indian2003 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 19:02   #3
BANNED

Quote:
.... Yokohama BluEarth's has developed a bulge on the LHS Front Tyre.
Would be great if you can add a few images of the tyre and the bulge so as to assess and suggest a way forward.

AFAIK, there is no real repair option, just have to replace that tyre IMO. Not sure if Yokohama would address the issue under their warranty terms. Do check with the dealer where you bought these tyres.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 19:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, my Vento running on 2-year old Yokohama BluEarth's has developed a bulge on the LHS Front Tyre. What possibly could be the reason and what are the options for this to be fixed?
Replacing the tyre is the only option. Cant take the chance of driving with the bulge, since it may result in a blowout anytime.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 14:36   #5
BHPian

Re: Bulging on Tyre : Can I repair it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
The reason must be damage caused while driving and the cords are damaged. Nothing else to do than replace with a new one of the same brand and threads.
Just out of curiosity, what can be the negative(or positive, if at all possible!)implications of using a tyre from different brand and a different tread on the same vehicle.

For example: Using two different pair of tyres in the same vehicle. Completely different brands and similar treads(not same!).

Would there be any impact on the driving behaviour and feedback from vehicle?
Would the said impact(if any) vary with permutations and combinations of tyre position i.e. A pair on either side of vehicle/A pair on either axle of vehicle/Cross position(X) of tyres in a pair?
pgoyal1996 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 21:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
In the absence of a picture for better clarity of its condition, I suppose the 'only' option is get it replaced going by tyre manufacturer recommendation.

It is a form of tyre separation.
https://www.google.com/search?client...yre+separation
Old 2nd September 2021, 05:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoyal1996 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what can be the negative(or positive, if at all possible!)implications of using a tyre from different brand and a different tread on the same vehicle.
Mixing tyres are not allowed. Even mixing different tyre depths on the same axle are not recomended. This for uniform grip on both tyres. At low speeds you might not notice anything but at speeds on wet roads can be dangerous.

A few years ago I went on a trip to Sweden on 4 brand new tyres and I drove onto something that fell off a trailer in front of me, damaging 1 tyre with a bulge on the front tyre. The bulge was as big as 1/4 ping pong ball coming out of the side and could see that the cords were torn inside

The tyre shop did not have the same Hankooks I had on the car so I had to get 2 Hankooks with different threads for the front axle.
You can read more about mixing tyres here:

https://www.protyre.co.uk/news/may-2...0each%20other.
Old 2nd September 2021, 07:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
Mixing tyres are not allowed. Even mixing different tyre depths on the same axle are not recomended. This for uniform grip on both tyres. At low speeds you might not notice anything but at speeds on wet roads can be dangerous.

A few years ago I went on a trip to Sweden on 4 brand new tyres and I drove onto something that fell off a trailer in front of me, damaging 1 tyre with a bulge on the front tyre. The bulge was as big as 1/4 ping pong ball coming out of the side and could see that the cords were torn inside

The tyre shop did not have the same Hankooks I had on the car so I had to get 2 Hankooks with different threads for the front axle.
You can read more about mixing tyres here:

https://www.protyre.co.uk/news/may-2...0each%20other.
Thanks.
Although this article did a little to quench my thirst still, got to know that the practice is totally illegal in UK.
Old 5th September 2021, 00:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

I guess I ought to update everyone on the issue.

- Sunday: We were about to leave for Mumbai and I was just completing the visual inspection (regular practice for me) before leaving. Spotted the bulge immediately.

- Brought it to the attention of dad, who promptly drove over to Lonkar Tyres (authorised Yokohama tyre dealers). But, Lonkar Tyres has closed down/shifted down and some other guy sits there. Told him to take a look at the tyre and he confirmed it to be due to the internal wiring. Also asked him to put on the 80KPH limited spare and headed off.

- Monday: Car remained at office
- Tuesday: Returned back to Pune, no problems with spare. Car has remained in it's parking spot till now.

Planning to throw on a set of Michelin XM2+'s since P3/4STs are not available for the given size (185/60R15). If not Michelins, will revert back to Apollos Alnacs (although I absolutely don't prefer them).

Couldn't post a picture because the bulged tyre has been sitting in place of the spare wheel. Will do so once they are changed.

Last edited by akash_v12 : 5th September 2021 at 00:47.
Old 27th July 2023, 23:56   #10

The Curious Case of the Mysterious Puncture at KIA Service Center

Imagine discovering a puncture on your car's tire after a routine service, only to be met with conflicting explanations from the service center. This is precisely the unique story that I encountered at the CAR KIA service center in Gachibowli, Hyderabad.

I entrusted my Kia Sonet service center for the 5000km service on July 1, 2023. To my surprise, on July 2, 2023, I noticed excess rubber protruding from the rear left tire. I reported the issue on July 4, 2023 after confirming that it is the remains of a puncture repair.

During subsequent discussions with the service advisor and service manager at the service center on July 14, 2023, they confirmed that no puncture was present when the car was handed over for service after comparing the tire's current state with photos taken at the time of drop-off.

Bulging on Tyre : Can I repair it?-image1.png

The service center responded that they reviewed CCTV footage and claimed that no puncture occurred during the service. They mentioned that the vehicle underwent a final inspection and road test on July 1, 2023, and there was no possibility of a puncture being fixed during a short 6-kilometer road test which was done in 10 mins.

The service center's claim is that the puncture might have occurred after the delivery and not at their workshop. Why will anyone raise such false claims after spending close to 15L in purchasing the car?

I am absolutely certain that the puncture did not occur after the delivery, indicating that it must have happened during the time my car was at the service center. There is no doubt about this.

In fact, what raises more suspicion is that I have a dashcam installed in my car and interestingly, I observed that there is an unexplained gap in the footage, starting from the moment the car entered the workshop.

The service center continues to maintain their stand that the puncture happened after the delivery and mentioned they are willing to support in the insurance claim process if required.

Since, I know it didn't happen after taking the delivery, I want to figure out what actually happened. If not, I will always be apprehensive about potential changes to my car and don't want to live with constant suspicion hanging over me during each visit to the service center in the future.

Any suggestion on how to take this forward is most welcome!
longdrives0903 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 04:33   #11
BHPian

Re: The Curious Case of the Mysterious Puncture at KIA Service Center

I would replace the tyre. Sidewalls should not be plugged and it is illegal. Is plugging legal in India? It has been outlawed in the EU. They use a mushroom type plug from the inside these days.

Last edited by Indian2003 : 28th July 2023 at 04:34.
Old 28th July 2023, 06:22   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (6)

Hi @longdrives0903, hope you are doing well..

Kia has been notorious for a long time with these issues from customers, either damaging a car or making it imperfect after service. But hey, that's not what we paid for! I suggest you escalate this matter to higher authorities. Kia usually provides Ultra Contact UC6 with the car, is it the same? If yes, one tire would cost around 13000 rupees INR ( I had a sidewall hole in my Astor, but MG replaced it with them covering 75% cost, saying that it was a manufacturing defect).

If you want to live a happy life without problems, go ahead and change the tire to a cheaper brand.

Cheers!
Old 28th July 2023, 08:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is a non issue. A car is meant to be driven on the roads and punctures do happen. Its true that service center could have been forthcoming with this information in case they found it and fixed it themselves (even if it happened during road test). But why lose peace over it? No one has ever reported Kia service centers changing parts or doing something unethical while the car was with them so relax and enjoy the drives.

Its quite a coincidence that the position of the puncture was exactly over the area captured by you in the photo. Else you wouldn’t even have a reference photo for comparison.

I have had punctures near the side wall at this location before and I have driven such tyres till the end of their life without any concern. Claiming insurance for such minor stuff will make you lose NCB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgastor2022grey View Post
If you want to live a happy life without problems, go ahead and change the tire to a cheaper brand.
I guess its a sarcastic post? Do Kia really provide UC6 tyres? I doubt it. I have mostly seen Kumho and JK tyres as factory fitted options on Kia (Seltos).
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 16:26   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
I have had punctures near the side wall at this location before and I have driven such tyres till the end of their life without any concern. Claiming insurance for such minor stuff will make you lose NCB.

I guess its a sarcastic post? Do Kia really provide UC6 tyres? I doubt it. I have mostly seen Kumho and JK tyres as factory fitted options on Kia (Seltos).
Definitely not safe mate! Change the tire once a sidewall puncture happens, never drive with that, it's very unsafe.

That's not sarcastic! I really mean it. I have seen 3 or 4 carnivals with UC6's and my friend's Seltos is just 7-8 months old and it has UC6 shoes! So, justifies my point!
mgastor2022grey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 08:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdrives0903 View Post
Imagine discovering a puncture on your car's tire after a routine service, ......

Attachment 2482671

In fact, what raises more suspicion is that I have a dashcam installed in my car and interestingly, I observed that there is an unexplained gap in the footage, starting from the moment the car entered the workshop.

The service center continues to maintain their stand that the puncture happened after the delivery and mentioned they are willing to support in the insurance claim process if required.

Since, I know it didn't happen after taking the delivery, I want to figure out what actually happened. If not, I will always be apprehensive about potential changes to my car and don't want to live with constant suspicion hanging over me during each visit to the service center in the future.
This sidewall 'rubbing' on rear left likely happens in a sharp left turn during forward driving mode.

I wouldn't call it a 'puncture' though as there isn't any (perpendicular) penetration into the sidewall.

You may want to go over the dashcam video (for the duration of the 6 km test drive by Kia on public road) looking out for presence of raised sharp 'curbs' seconds before a sharp left turn.

If it were me, I would pay to a visit to the site where the suspect 'curbs' sits for a visual inspection/photo shots and move from there assuming you're familiar with the local routes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks