Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2021, 16:33   #46
BHPian

Re: Why I will never drive with any tyre other than Michelins

Having experienced the MRFs, Bridgestone and Goodyear and finally settling down on Michelins! They are the go to tires! On tar roads, it feels the tires have been muted with a fantastic grip.
Ritzvxi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 16:36   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Warranty on tyres doesn't quite work the way it works for other goods - at least it's not in my experience with Michelin.

When I took it up with the tyre shop from where we had bought the tyre he helped log a complaint with Michelin and I even met one of the sales guy from Michelin. His reply varied from 'this is normal' to 'it is the driving conditions' to 'probably car is parked under direct sun all the time' nonsense. When I didn't budge for his nonsense he offered a grand 30% off on next set of tyres [because it's under warranty].Even the shop owner felt that it is stupid. I let him know how I feel about his 'offer' in a polite North Karnataka way and went ahead changed the tyres to Yokos.
When this happened to my JK Tyre, I received an email response within minutes from the RGM. In another hour a technician is at my Wife`s office inspecting the tyres - a prorated warranty replacement is provided in a few days through their dealer nearby (all 4), I did have to pay a certain amount as per prorata warranty terms which is for 5\6 years, which is applicable for this replacement set as well - So I was all set for the next 4 years at least.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 18:01   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
When I just changed my tyres a few days ago, I got a 5 year warranty for them, and option to increase to 8 years by paying Rs 150 more per tyre. This was direct Michelin warranty - I got a text message on my phone from Michelin soon after purchase. It's unfortunate that your tyres failed prematurely - like every product, some are bound to have issues. I am sure Michelin would have sorted you out if you had approached them.
I approached the dealer Kalra tires from whom this set of of 4 tires was bought. He even refused to come out of his shop and take a look at them despite my repeated requests. It was hardly 15 metres of distance. On my insistence, he sent a staff and that guy who used to change tires just took a casual look and said that this issue is due to my low running. Also he told me that it’s absolutely safe to use these tires. The joke doesn’t end here. The dealer told me that life of tires is of 3 years and anything over it is a matter of luck. What a joke! I promised that I’ll never deal with a company or a shop with such attitude towards their customers. This incident is documented on the thread I shared on first page.

Later leoshashi tagged Michelin on social media and sure they sent me a message asking my details for further investigation. I gave them my number in a flash only to never hear from them again.

Quite opposite to this thread title, this is the reason enough why my car will run on anything but Michelin tires.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 24th September 2021 at 18:11.
saket77 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 19:59   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I approached the dealer Kalra tires from whom this set of of 4 tires was bought. He even refused to come out of his shop and take a look at them despite my repeated requests. It was hardly 15 metres of distance. On my insistence, he sent a staff and that guy who used to change tires just took a casual look and said that this issue is due to my low running. Also he told me that it’s absolutely safe to use these tires. The joke doesn’t end here. The dealer told me that life of tires is of 3 years and anything over it is a matter of luck. What a joke! I promised that I’ll never deal with a company or a shop with such attitude towards their customers. This incident is documented on the thread I shared on first page.

Later leoshashi tagged Michelin on social media and sure they sent me a message asking my details for further investigation. I gave them my number in a flash only to never hear from them again.

Quite opposite to this thread title, this is the reason enough why my car will run on anything but Michelin tires.

Regards.
You know what, a case like this should be highlighted - let’s all see what the results will be, if you can keep this thread updated.

If interested, why not send me a PM and I’ll share Michelin’s quality directors email. Mail him this and see what he has to say?
thirdmainroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 20:04   #50
BHPian

Michelins have upper hand over all other mass market brands in quality as well as longevity.
I used Michelin Energy XM2 in my Honda City and those tires lasted for 90K KMS without causing any troubles over 6 and half years.
The ride was bit stiffer with XM2s though.

I was hoping to upgrade to the Primacy 4ST. But unfortunately I couldn't source them due to import restrictions and settled for Yokohama BluEarth GTs last year after long wait for Michelins.
10K KMs done so far with GTs. These tires have too much traction and its affecting the mileage unlike Michelins. But the ride quality is good.

I do hope that Michelin sorts out the tires availability issue soon by setting up manufacturing units here. They are rapidly loosing the market share to rivals in India.
samy1117 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 00:15   #51

My experience with Michelin energy tyres was exceptional in I10. Better than Bridgestone and far better than stock MRF.

Off topic, can we change Tyre size to higher speed and load rating while maintaining the basic dimensions as it is. For example:- From 235 65 R 17 104H to 235 65 R 17 108 V.

@ Mods, request to merge this query in suitable post if it does not belong here.

Best Regards,
A_KP
Old 25th September 2021, 00:54   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I loved my Michelin XM2 tyres and they are still the best tyres for driving experience I have had. But the dry rot within 3.5 years even with medium usage and care was something I was not happy with. Almost everyone on web says that Michelin is known for those cracks after 3-4 years. It's disheartening when you had to give away a tyre with good treads because of these sidewall hairline rot cracks.
I have a similar mixed experience. Went through 3 sets of xm2 tyres on my verna, they all cracked at 40k mark or 3 years of gentle usage. But I still find them to be a silent tyre compared to competition.
BeingHuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 09:37   #53
BHPian

I am aware that there is fan following for Michelin brand but being blind doesn’t help. I had two sets of XM2s , they offer smooth and silent ride.
They are prone to punctures and damages more than any other brand I have experienced.

Titles like this thread is quite misleading and click bait type used in paid media.
Thilak29 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 12:17   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I am aware that there is fan following for Michelin brand but being blind doesn’t help. I had two sets of XM2s , they offer smooth and silent ride.
They are prone to punctures and damages more than any other brand I have experienced.

Titles like this thread is quite misleading and click bait type used in paid media.
I got the same feeling too!. I know Michelin tyres are world class. But are they head and shoulders above all other brands? Maybe yes. Maybe no. Depends on whom you ask!.

What about cost? I had shortlisted Michelin and Yokohama. Decided on Yokohama to save an additional 5800. As it is tyre costs are exorbitant
and if the 'best' tyres happen to be the most expensive, well second or third best is fine .
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 12:31   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
I got the same feeling too!. I know Michelin tyres are world class. But are they head and shoulders above all other brands? Maybe yes. Maybe no. Depends on whom you ask!.

What about cost? I had shortlisted Michelin and Yokohama. Decided on Yokohama to save an additional 5800. As it is tyre costs are exorbitant
and if the 'best' tyres happen to be the most expensive, well second or third best is fine .
The original post was actually misleading and wanted people to believe that Indian brands like MRF and Apollo are far inferior to Michelin’s which is clearly not the case. Of course, quality is different and that shows in the prices as well but no where it can be stated conclusively that Michelin’s will outlast MRF’s and Apollo’s by a long mile, certainly not guaranteed by a visit by top officials to an unheralded shop in Chennai !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 12:44   #56
BHPian

The Michelin's I owned developed cracks on the sidewall very prematurely. At least premature in terms of kilometres (was on a low running car. It did 20,000km over 5 years). Unfortunately, this happened after the warranty expired, so no support from the company. Had to throw out a set of 20k km run tyres.

I'm currently using Yokohama, and they feel much better in terms of ride quality.

Cannot comment on longevity yet, but many people who referred the Yokohama's to me have said that I can expect 40k km easily, and it's up to me if I want to push them till the 50k mark. My father had Yokohama's on one of the cars years ago, and he said he remembered them lasting surprisingly long, so I might as well assume they are durable for now, and later on, share on this forum the km life of my Corolla Altis's Yokohama's once they are due for replacement.

Grip I cannot compare between tyre brands. I don't have the necessary track and testing equipment. Any opinion I give on grip of Michelin vs Yokohama is simply a figment of my imagination.

But overall, given my experiences, I would prefer Yokohama over Michelin.
Attached Thumbnails
Why I will never drive with any tyre other than Michelins-img_20181115_121648213.jpg  

Last edited by kadanaJ : 25th September 2021 at 12:47. Reason: Added photo of my old Michelins
kadanaJ is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 21:17   #57
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have been moving to Michelin tyres from day one for all my 4 cars from last 10 years and these includes XM2, PS3, PS4 and PLC . For two cars, I have got replacement tyres at 42K and 44k KMs. In total 6 full sets of Michelin tyres. With this experience I can certainly tell you the Michelin tyres are good, breaks well, corners well, silent and grippy. But they are also very expensive, prone to side cuts, punctures and Michelin warranty is joke. For that matter in 2007, one my Tata car had JK tyres and got replacement tyres for front two tyres at prorate, don't remember the details now.

So in summary Michelin tyres are good, perform better than others on the road, but is also very expensive compare to others and warranty is pathetic.

Last edited by GTO : 26th September 2021 at 19:29. Reason: typo
manjubp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 06:50   #58
Senior - BHPian

Buddy, I take good care of my tyres, and have clocked 48,000 in them. In the UAE I change my tyre every year since conditions are tough. Over here, I took it to Madhus for inspection wanting to replace and they said 3/4 life is there in them. I was surprised actually
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandavinash View Post
I always believed that tyres usually shouldn't be used over 40-45K km or 4 years whichever is earlier. Running them for 70K or 80K km is quite high. Don't we risk the possibility of tyre imbalance ruining the bearings?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 09:10   #59
Senior - BHPian

Crux of the content is that different tyre brands and series are suitable for different usage patterns.

Had the senior executives not been white/ caucasian, wouldn’t have there been chances that the OP dismissed them as fellow Indian customers and never bothered to talk to them?

We dont spend that much time in the market on daily basis that we would come to know of what senior executives of other brands do or do not. And its not that one tyre shop will see executives from all or many tyre brands.

I appreciate Michelin guys for visiting an average tyre shop to do their analysis etc. But I will certainly not buy Michelin for the kind of roads I use. The best parts are butter smooth but the worst parts (under maintenance ones) are enough to damage the Michelins for sure. The Yokohama Earth-1 tyres that I have in my old car had a large piece of rubber missing from the side wall.

Why I will never drive with any tyre other than Michelins-032510a935d74dd6834a1fab78e2d76e.jpeg

Why I will never drive with any tyre other than Michelins-8649d85241dd418faaf84cd5186fead5.jpeg
PaddleShifter is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 09:45   #60
BHPian

I think it depends a lot on the usage and the dealer as well. We've only had Yokohama for all the family cars - Brio, i10 and i20 Active. All of the tyres purchased have easily lasted more than 40-45k kms on city roads, and the occasional highway drive, without any sort of trouble.
Nothing against Michelin, but I've heard a few cab drivers tell me that Ceat and MRF are more abuse-friendly and value-for-money than Michelin. They might have this perception just because it is relatively expensive, but that is there.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed