Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2021, 15:52   #16
BHPian

Re: Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
If you are within 2 percent there won't be any effect on suspension warranty, and rest of the warranty would anyway not be affected. The buyback price seems correct and is the usual difference between selling and buyback price.

My suggestion : Go for the Michelins, far ahead of UC6. UC6 is decent in isolation but not a patch in front of the Primacy. And all that at barely 0.5 percent of the price of the car!! And get the damage warranty for the Michelins
Gone through a warranty for Michelin

Warranty shall not apply in case of the following:
1. Road hazard injury (e.g. a cut, snag, bruise, impact damage or puncture, whether repairable or not);

Can damage warranty be purchased separately?

The difference with the upgrade to 21/55/R17 section is 1.7% which is under the tolerance of 2%.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia-trye.jpg  

Old 6th November 2021, 01:27   #17
BHPian

Update: Despite apprehension went ahead and gave a shot. Reliability and availability was factor in choosing the tyres.

Have seen favorable reviews for Continental UC6 in another thread. Michelin was suggested by many, but with supply chain issues lingering around and higher cost was holding me back.

Michelin was 12600 a piece including buy back of the current tyres. With out buy back best price offered was 11900 per piece.

Continental prices varied from shop to shop. Atlast the deal was closed at 10,500 per piece for UC6. Dealer also agreed to buy back current Good Year tyres at the price that i was getting from other dealers in the city.

Short listing of dealer was straight forward, checked on Continental website for dealers at Hyderabad. Some of the dealer were quoting prices equal to Michelin. I thought these folks have lost their mind. I was about to give up and go for Michelin but then gave one last push, google for dealers with good rating. Interestingly there was one dealer TYRELELO who had 5 star reviews. Initially i thought these review might be paid ones. Went through each review and they didn't seem as mocked up. Took a leap of faith and called them up. Mr Anurag from this point was main contact person. He was calm and composed and answered all my dozen of queries. He has flair for sales, knowledgeable and meeting customer expectations. Sales pitch from their end was Continental UC6 also has similar silica compound as Michelin and being locally produced at plant there is cost advantage. Most of negotiations happened over whats app. Before i had coughed up the moolah went to check the setup. They are based out of STUNNERZ on the 100ft road. Owner of the store Mr Aditya is also hospitable.

Final price was locked on store, Anurag was very clear they didn't have stock and have to pay some advance. They will get the stock ASAP. Paid RS 2000/- as advance, returned home and went for diwali shopping chores. With in 2 hours got a call that the tyres were available. It was evening decided against travelling in peak traffic.

Next day went in the afternoon to the shop. They got the work started immediately and everything was done a jiffy. Full marks to the entire team. Requested them to check if there is any area that was touching sides post upsize. Got confirmation everything is good and paid the balance amount. Done and dusted.

Good year: Stock tyres

Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia-img5380-1.jpg

Getting new rubber

Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia-img5382.jpg

Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia-img5385.jpg

Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia-img5386.jpg

Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia-img5390.jpg

Continental UC6:

Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia-img5379.jpg

I was excited to evaluate how much of a change could be felt. Initial impression between good year and UC6 is that, there is hardly any change. Car is still in a run in phase hence there is no way that it is pushed to the limits. Under 100 on speedo both GY and Continental are at par. No change in handling characteristics of vehicle. Long term it might be a different story. Test drive car which had Good year wasn't grippy over mud and had lot of road noise over 100. Hopefully when the time comes to test these UC6 they will trump Good year and investment is justified.

Note: Not associate with Tyrelelo and know them as a customer only.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia-img5380.jpg  

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 6th November 2021 at 01:29.
CircleOfLife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 11:47   #18
BHPian

Skoda Octavia: Wheel and Tire Upgrade

Hey, it’s been a while since I posted a thread. I’ve decided to swap my alloys from the boring stock 16” to a newer set of 17” alloys, like a lot of them has suggested me in the forum in the past. I would’ve surely gone for 18” for that stance and aesthetics, but I’m a sucker for performance, I don’t wanna be loosing out on that either. So the two options are, 225/45/R17 and 225/50/R17, and the stock size is 205/55/R16.

As someone who does keep outright performance in mind, 0-100 and quarter mile times into consideration, and don’t mind losing a very little on it, but at the same time want the car’s appearance to be much better, which one do I go for? I know I can take your trusted opinions into account, as they’ve helped me in the past, they’ll help me now too. Thanks in advance. These are the pics of my car at the moment with stock alloys:
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia-9f0e54b4366b4a5eabbcfbe094f30260.jpeg  

Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia-c1a0641651444182af94ce711727abdd.jpeg  

Old 16th February 2023, 14:34   #19
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia: Wheel and Tire Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhead01 View Post
Hey, it’s been a while since I posted a thread. I’ve decided to swap my alloys from the boring stock 16” to a newer set of 17” alloys, like a lot of them has suggested me in the forum in the past. I would’ve surely gone for 18” for that stance and aesthetics, but I’m a sucker for performance, I don’t wanna be loosing out on that either. So the two options are, 225/45/R17 and 225/50/R17, and the stock size is 205/55/R16.

As someone who does keep outright performance in mind, 0-100 and quarter mile times into consideration, and don’t mind losing a very little on it, but at the same time want the car’s appearance to be much better, which one do I go for? I know I can take your trusted opinions into account, as they’ve helped me in the past, they’ll help me now too. Thanks in advance. These are the pics of my car at the moment with stock alloys:
Hello. 225/50R17 is an upsize of around 5% from the stock size, and will definitely scrape your wheel wells on speed breakers and on turns at full steering lock. 225/45R17 matches the diameter almost exactly but on bad roads, the low sidewall height can pose a problem of increased risk of pinch cuts and resultant damage to your alloys as well.

A better fit would be 215/50R17 (which is the stock size on the Honda Civic), which is taller than the stock 205/55R16s by 2.5% (which is well within permissible limits), and consequently having slightly taller sidewalls than the 225/45R17s. You can again go for Michelin PS4s if you're happy with them, and you also have the option of Yoko Advans as well which are OEM fitted on the Civic.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 15:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
Hello. 225/50R17 is an upsize of around 5% from the stock size, and will definitely scrape your wheel wells on speed breakers and on turns at full steering lock. 225/45R17 matches the diameter almost exactly but on bad roads, the low sidewall height can pose a problem of increased risk of pinch cuts and resultant damage to your alloys as well.

A better fit would be 215/50R17 (which is the stock size on the Honda Civic), which is taller than the stock 205/55R16s by 2.5% (which is well within permissible limits), and consequently having slightly taller sidewalls than the 225/45R17s. You can again go for Michelin PS4s if you're happy with them, and you also have the option of Yoko Advans as well which are OEM fitted on the Civic.
Thank you so much for the input. As much as I’d want a 215/50/17, I’m not able to get them on PS4. I’m sticking on to PS4s itself because I’m currently running on the 16” PS4s. So the only two options available now are, 225/45/17 or 225/50/17, and looks matter too. Which one shall I go for?
Old 16th February 2023, 16:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhead01 View Post
Thank you so much for the input. As much as I’d want a 215/50/17, I’m not able to get them on PS4. I’m sticking on to PS4s itself because I’m currently running on the 16” PS4s. So the only two options available now are, 225/45/17 or 225/50/17, and looks matter too. Which one shall I go for?
215/50R17 PS4s are available on TyreMarket.com. I suggest that you order it online and get it fitted at a tyre shop along with your new rims.
Old 27th February 2023, 08:09   #22
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,
I have completed 80k kms on my Michelin Primacy 3st. Looking to change the tyres even though the tread depth hasn't reached the treadwear limit.
Wondering whether an upsize in aspect ratio from 205/55 R16 to 205/60 R16 would be fine?
Old 12th August 2023, 11:35   #23

Hi,
would any one recommend 215/50 R17 for LnK octavia A8 ?
Or
Has anyone opted for this specification on their octavia ?

I find the 55 wall height too fat.

I am currently running the stock tyre spec on the vehicle. And they are rather slim and not very great on grip levels.

Last edited by Octavia_6793 : 12th August 2023 at 11:47.
Old 12th August 2023, 11:44   #24

Hi,
would any one recommend 215/50 R17 for LnK octavia A8 ?
Or
Has anyone opted for this specification on their octavia ?
Old 5th December 2023, 22:55   #25

Going for 215 50 R17 on my Octavia 1.8TSI

Gents (& ladies), I am reaching out for help!!

I drive a 2018 1.8TSI Octavia, shod in Michelin PS4 tyres (225 45 R17). While these tyres are a hoot to drive on the highways in conjunction with the Bilstein B6s, they are very unforgiving on the alloys on the glorious potholes of Bangalore as well as the upcountry roads. (My work entails regular drives on these roads).

As a result I have busted 2 sets of alloys & am considering the 215 50 R17 from Michelin Primacy 4ST. The various upsize calculators show an error of about 2.3 which while stretching the envelope seems to be within acceptable limits.

What’s your advice folks on this ?? I am fine with slightly less sporty drive in favour of peace of mind

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks