Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2021, 15:13   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Hyd / Nomad
Posts: 168
Thanked: 269 Times
Default Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia

Requesting the experts and gurus here to help me understand options for rubber swap / upgrade options for Octavia.

As per [ATTACH=Octavia-brochure.pdf]2211673[/ATTACH]

Following is the size.
  • Style variant: 6.5J x 17 H2 ET 46 (Style)

Stock Good year tires (205/55, R17) don't do any justice to this car at higher speeds. Need to be upgrade either on the same size or upsize them. This is where your opinion matters. What are the options on table?

Additionally following is my criteria.
  • Not too soft compound (Don't want to see punctures frequently)
  • Mix of performance & reliability.
  • If upsize increases height then its a plus.

Previously I have used Yokohama earth 1. These holded up well, but did get noisy & hard into 3rd year along with few punctures.

Any helpful recommendation of tyre shops at Mumbai which offers excellent value for getting the swap done?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Octavia-brochure.pdf (5.04 MB, 35 views)
CircleOfLife is offline  
Old 26th September 2021, 17:17   #2
BHPian
 
GranvilleDsouza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 136
Thanked: 309 Times
Default re: Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia

In all honesty, from all the reviews on other threads and from personal experience, either go with Michelin Primacy or MRF Perfinza.

Both are known to be good tyres, with good grip levels, and good durability. Hyderabad has good roads as well (in comparison to Mumbai). Michelin may be a problem due to an ongoing scarcity.

You won't regret either of them.
GranvilleDsouza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 18:29   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Hyd / Nomad
Posts: 168
Thanked: 269 Times
Default re: Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
In all honesty, from all the reviews on other threads and from personal experience, either go with Michelin Primacy or MRF Perfinza.

Both are known to be good tyres, with good grip levels, and good durability. Hyderabad has good roads as well (in comparison to Mumbai). Michelin may be a problem due to an ongoing scarcity.

You won't regret either of them.
Thank you for suggestion.

Michelin Primacy are great combination of performance and comfort however they don't last much. Due to softer compound they are very much prone to punctures & side wall cracks.

For RIM width 6.5J and stock size tyre size 205/55/R17 there is only Pirelli P7 run flat available as option.

Now if i need to upsize tyres on stock rim then is 225/50R17 recommended?

225/50R17 is recommended for 7J.

What are the possible issues of 225/50R17 tyres on rim with dimension 6,5J x 17“ ET 46?

I don't want much fuss with skoda for warranty issue. Car might stay with me more than Zac stint in india. Need some peace of mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia-wheels.jpg  


Last edited by CircleOfLife : 26th September 2021 at 18:54.
CircleOfLife is offline  
Old 26th September 2021, 18:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 5,037
Thanked: 7,229 Times
Default re: Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
What are the possible issues of 225/50R17 tyres on mim with dimension 6,5J x 17 ET 46?
Refer to this thread for a similar discussion, albeit in 16":
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...-thread-6.html (VW Jetta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)

A lot of Jetta & old gen Octavia owners praised the combo. I'd say it's worth a try. Unsure of warranty though.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 23:55   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Hyd / Nomad
Posts: 168
Thanked: 269 Times
Default Re: Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia

Bumping back on this thread. Would really appreciate if the tyre gurus can pitch in with their thoughts.
CircleOfLife is offline  
Old 19th October 2021, 11:22   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 209
Thanked: 292 Times
Default Re: Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Bumping back on this thread. Would really appreciate if the tyre gurus can pitch in with their thoughts.
If in your place I would have changed the alloys to 17 8J and gone for 225/17/50. I think 225 will do justice to the car and also will enhance the looks. Also I do not like the looks of stock alloys. And 225 50 is the best upgrade with only .08% deviation from stock. Tyre options are plenty too. You should not upsize to 225 tyres with stock rims of 6.5J.

Next option, if you want to retain the stock rims, is to go for 215/17/50 or 215/17/55 which gives a deviation within 2% and will improve the performance too. With 6.5J you can still go for 215. And you have decent selection of tyres too including PS4 and Continental.

Personally I would have upgraded the wheels and gone for 225.

Last edited by sunikkat : 19th October 2021 at 11:24.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 12:11   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Hyd / Nomad
Posts: 168
Thanked: 269 Times
Default Re: Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
If in your place I would have changed the alloys to 17 8J and gone for 225/17/50. I think 225 will do justice to the car and also will enhance the looks. Also I do not like the looks of stock alloys. And 225 50 is the best upgrade with only .08% deviation from stock. Tyre options are plenty too. You should not upsize to 225 tyres with stock rims of 6.5J.

Next option, if you want to retain the stock rims, is to go for 215/17/50 or 215/17/55 which gives a deviation within 2% and will improve the performance too. With 6.5J you can still go for 215. And you have decent selection of tyres too including PS4 and Continental.

Personally I would have upgraded the wheels and gone for 225.
Changing stock alloys is not in plan for the moment for a brand new vehicle. It's Skoda and one never knows what fuss the service center make in case of warranty claim. I would like them to retain for initial couple of years.

For future buyers they should take this into consideration on the limitation with Style variant Rims. L&K variant comes with 7J rims for which it is easier to upgrade the rubber.

215/17/50 or 215/17/55 will either of these will result in stiffer ride experience?
CircleOfLife is offline  
Old 19th October 2021, 12:45   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
rocksterraghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,238
Thanked: 200 Times
Default Re: Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
215/17/50 or 215/17/55 will either of these will result in stiffer ride experience?
No, they will be as comfortable if not more.

215 is an odd size in my opinion, 205 or 225 are better especially knowing reliability is a concern for you - it may be easier to find these sizes than a 215 in smaller towns should you have some unforeseen problems with the tyres. Stick to 205 than upgrading to 225 on leaner rims, you may be able to find PS4 or P4ST in 205, both are great tyres though I would recommend the former for a 2.0TSI - with even slightly hard rubber you will experience frequent wheel spins in FWD. If you can retain the stock rims and alloys for warranty sake and use upgraded wheels with 225, nothing like it.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 19th October 2021 at 12:50. Reason: Typo
rocksterraghu is offline  
Old 19th October 2021, 13:33   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 209
Thanked: 292 Times
Default Re: Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Changing stock alloys is not in plan for the moment for a brand new vehicle. It's Skoda and one never knows what fuss the service center make in case of warranty claim. I would like them to retain for initial couple of years.

For future buyers they should take this into consideration on the limitation with Style variant Rims. L&K variant comes with 7J rims for which it is easier to upgrade the rubber.

215/17/50 or 215/17/55 will either of these will result in stiffer ride experience?
215/17/50 will be more stiffer than 215/17/55 which in turn will be slightly more stiffer than the stock. But honestly thats a good compromise to make if you are okay with slightly stiffer ride for a better handling. Suggest go for 215/17/55 which will only be marginally stiffer than your stock. For this size I dont think you have any performance oriented tyres like PS4 or CSC5 but you will get Conti Ultra contact or Michelin Primacy 4 which will still be much better than the stock. Since I have not driven the new Octavia yet, cannot comment on how bad the current tyres are, so there is a possibility that the 215 with good tyres might offer better ride than stock.

To give a perspective, I am running on 225 45 17 on my 2016 Octavia, though the ride is stiffer I am super happy with my decision as the high speed stability, cornering etc have improved significantly.

Last edited by sunikkat : 19th October 2021 at 13:36.
sunikkat is offline  
Old 20th October 2021, 11:40   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Tyre options for the Skoda Octavia

I have used Falken and Hankook in Australia, in India not sure how Falken are doing. But I would recommend quality tyres instead of going for hard compound. It is octavia afterall.
pratyushpks is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks