Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2007, 16:25   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't mean to sound like a spoilsport but a small word of caution -

PLEASE AVOID PURCHASING WHEELS WHICH HAVE 2 PCDS MACHINED IN THEM (100 / 114.3 OR 139.7 / 160 ETC). IT AFFECTS THE STRUCTURAL RIGIDITY. ALSO, PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH THE NUT PROFILE (118 DEGREE TAPER OR SPHERICAL SEAT). AND THE VALVE CONSTRUCTION. THERE ARE STANDARDS AVAILABLE. IN PRODUCTION, WE ARE RUTHLESS FOR COMPLIANCE. PLEASE DO NOT PAY GOOD MONEY TO SPOIL YOUR CAR. ALL OF YOU PLEASE BE VERY VERY CAREFUL EVERY TIME. IF YOU WANT ANY FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT ME, I WILL DEFINITELY HELP.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Note from Mod : Hi Behram, i have made a copy of your post here from another thread since it was relevant and very useful for this thread as well. Please also avoid typing in ALL CAPS! Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th August 2007 at 02:16. Reason: Please see my note that i have put in your post. Thanks.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2007, 02:25   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
ALSO, PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH THE NUT PROFILE (118 DEGREE TAPER OR SPHERICAL SEAT).
I have seen both kind of lugnuts, but i was always told that they were interchangable and never really thought about the fact that there were meant for entirely different seats!!

Which is the more commonly used one?
What is the reason for the two different types (where did which originate etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
AND THE VALVE CONSTRUCTION. THERE ARE STANDARDS AVAILABLE.
What are the valve standards and the different types??
I have heard of tyre bead profiles, but never different kinds of valve construction? valve seats on wheels?

Also, could you please talk a bit about tyre bead profiles and what we need to keep in mind, (J vs JJ etc)

Thanks,
R
Old 21st August 2007, 03:07   #18

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

what do you mean by 118 degree taper and spherical seats.?
and how to identify between them.

Last edited by hellspawn : 21st August 2007 at 03:08.
Old 21st August 2007, 06:08   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
what do you mean by 118 degree taper and spherical seats.?
and how to identify between them.
Hellspawn,

The seat is the part of the lugnut that makes contact with the wheel.

The spherical seat will have a rounded surface (with a hole for the bolt to screw into). Almost like a hemisphere with a hole in it.

The 118* taper will have an angle on it with a hole in the middle (like if there was no hole it would make a 118* cone). Kindof like a chamfered edge.

cya
R

EDIT: Pics >

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st August 2007 at 06:09.
Old 26th October 2009, 07:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Guys reviving an old thread , any conclusion to multi PCD alloys being safe or not.
Sai mag wheels is offering a 100 + 98 PCD alloy by HRS ,
is it safe on install it in a Punto
Old 26th October 2009, 10:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

I don't really think that it is correct to say that good brands do not offer multi pcd wheels.
Mine are from Plati and they are multi PCD, and also another bhpian tejas has multi pcd konig on his i10.
Old 27th November 2010, 20:56   #22

8-hole alloys

Has anyone had any problems or bad experiences with 8-holed alloy rims ie rims with two pcd circles with 4 holes each? The specific rim in question is a Plati 12" magnesium-aluminium alloy rim.
Old 28th November 2010, 17:19   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

nvpF1crazy, Plati makes wheels of decent quality. You shouldn't be worried. I used 8 hole multi-PCD wheels on my Vtec over all kinds of driving conditions, without a single issue.
Old 17th February 2012, 11:55   #24
BHPian

Re: Are Multi PCD wheels unsafe ??

Hi guys,

just to add my two bits here. (adding to a thread that hasn't seen much activity recently)

I understand that there have been no reported problems with multi PCD wheels - even guys like BK tyre at Lajpat Nagar, New Delhi say there is no problem with them.

However, (without any technical backup whatsoever), it seems that structural rigidity may be affected if your car has 4 or 5 bolt holes.

Multi PCD with a total of 8 bolt holes seems ok - but if you have 10 bolt holes, the holes are much closer to each other in the central section.

see these photos to see what I mean

Are Multi PCD wheels unsafe ??-4-bolt.jpg Are Multi PCD wheels unsafe ??-5-bolt.jpg

Plus, I've seen many multi PCD wheels gather a lot more muck (solidified brake dust etc) - on the empty bolt holes - makes it that much harder to clean.

Most Viewed