Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2007, 05:58   #1
BHPian

Are Multi PCD wheels unsafe ??

Hi guys,I tried to do a google on this,but it only threw up a whole lot of medical stuff. Anyways,what I'd like to know / discuss is whether multi PCD wheels are in any way unsafe compared to Single PCD rims ?? Considering that the wheel centre in the area where the entire onus lies to keep it bolted onto the car.

Also I've noticed that most major brands have few or no multi PCD wheels in production,so what gives ??
Old 27th May 2007, 11:23   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hey,

Interesting topic.... the fact that the extra holes for the multi PCD rims exist, suggests a compromise in structure (as compared to a single PCD rim). Ofcourse, (we would hope that) the manufacturer has increased the structural strength of the design to accomodate those holes, but the area where the holes are is rather small....hence, i feel, no matter what it is a compromise.

The question is, how much of a compromise?

cya
R
Old 27th May 2007, 15:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

interesting question....let us see other rim experts have to say about it...but one thing there is hardly any wheel for any good make with multi pcd hole...
Old 27th May 2007, 16:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

The way I see it is that the Multi-PCD rims are made basically to save on manufacturing cost. So they make the rims with multi-PCD to enable the same rim to be used on various cars.

Have seen quite a few people using them with no direct known disadvantages. But Logic says they are simply a cost cutting measure. I am pretty sure the reinforcement is adequate - as no case of "rim failure" is known to me.....yet.

I am no expert on the subject, but IMHO better to stick to single PCD rims though - it's a safer option I'd say.

Cheers
Old 27th May 2007, 17:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
interesting question....let us see other rim experts have to say about it...but one thing there is hardly any wheel for any good make with multi pcd hole...
Tue,most big names in the business do not manufacture multi PCD wheels,but in the free import regime we've seen umpteen brands popping up,mainly made in taiwan,with diffrent names.Not that I consider thier quality any inferior,I guess over the past two decades improvements in technology and processes have enabled reduction in costs as well as increased quality.Coming back to the point,most retailers stock taiwan made rims alongwith the branded wheels and obviously since margins on imported wheels are higher and the cost to consumers is also low,these are promoted more.even a brand with some repute like Hi-join has many multi-pcd rims on thier line up.So is safety at stake here ??
Old 28th May 2007, 00:51   #6
BHPian

i doubt there will be any safety issues! ofcourse the big brands will make single PCD rims!! i mean if i was paying that price i wouldn't want a compromise any where! also it being a circular section forces acting should be quite low! i haven't heard about a rim failing near the hole!
the taiwanese rims are just good lookers no weightloss, the only advantage i see of them performance wise is better cooling of brakes!
thats my interpretition of it!
Old 28th May 2007, 01:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Now you guys have got me worried. My alloys are multi pcd as well.

But i dont believe there is anything to be worried about for the simple reason that these are alloys & not steel rims. If this could be a cause for concern, so would a 3 spoke alloy. is a multi spoke alloy the safest ? 4 small holes in the center would not destabilize the wheel.
cheers
Old 28th May 2007, 22:10   #8
BHPian

Esteem lover,are these genuine HR wheels or have you put the caps on some local wheels ?? I don't think this is an HR design / wheel.Just curious, 'coz the last catalog taht I got from the company acrried a letter stating that people were passing off cheap chinese rims as HR rims by simply putting the cap and fooling gullible customers.Just double check at the back of the wheel if HR and the design code is imprinted on the metal as in part of the mould.
Old 28th May 2007, 22:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Esteem lover,are these genuine HR wheels or have you put the caps on some local wheels ?? I don't think this is an HR design / wheel.Just curious, 'coz the last catalog taht I got from the company acrried a letter stating that people were passing off cheap chinese rims as HR rims by simply putting the cap and fooling gullible customers.Just double check at the back of the wheel if HR and the design code is imprinted on the metal as in part of the mould.
He got those for 10K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Before anyone starts saying that i actually stole those rims or robbed them at knife point, let me clarify that this tyre dealer (not iraghava) is a nice & friendly chap from whom i had recently purchased my Michelin XM1s & also a set of 5 Pilot precedas for my friend's OHC. During that time I had told him that he was conveniently located (in a residential area) & that he could display more varities of alloys & other accessories. He took up on my idea & obviously made a small fortune. (thats not the reason why he gave this price) Before anyone thinks he is a small timer, he has 4 shops in chennai & 2 in Madurai.

for the last 5 months i have been bugging him for some decent used alloys. i saw a few & did not like them. So one day i visit him & he gives me this offer. He said these wheels have been lying around for a year & this year he has placed a huge order from HR & they had given him a good discount for these unsold wheels.

So he thought (& very rightly so) that he would pass the same to me without his margin so that i would stop bugging him & take those wheels & disappear from his shop forever. So there. Any questions ??
For more read this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...tml#post394221
Old 29th May 2007, 00:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

I had multi pcd rims on my old m800 (Esteem_lover had same rims as yours so i can tell you they are real as i got mine from the whole saler whos my uncle)

the car was totaled after about 4 months of getting the alloys and the only thing which could be used were the rims only so i thing having multi pcd rims have no down factor

running multi pcd rims on my alto again HR alloys for about 4 years now and till now no problem
Old 29th May 2007, 01:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
No, they aren't cheap chinese. Maybe you should try getting some better catalogues in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
He got those for 10K.

For more read this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...tml#post394221
Thank you freeda----bad boy. (i do hope you are helping)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
I had multi pcd rims on my old m800 (Esteem_lover had same rims as yours so i can tell you they are real as i got mine from the whole saler whos my uncle)

the car was totaled after about 4 months of getting the alloys and the only thing which could be used were the rims only so i thing having multi pcd rims have no down factor

running multi pcd rims on my alto again HR alloys for about 4 years now and till now no problem
Thanks for the confirmation as well. Let us drink to that.
cheers
Old 29th May 2007, 01:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
No, they aren't cheap chinese. Maybe you should try getting some better catalogues in future.
Hey no offence meant,I was just re-confirming.Besides I don't think they have any variety in catalogs to try n get 'better' ones
Old 29th May 2007, 01:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Maybe they do have, since you said there were chinese fakes running around. Seriously i am not offended at all, i would be very happy if you could show me that i was cheated so that i could go & get my refund straightaway. Earlier the better & easier, what do you say, wasava ?
Old 29th May 2007, 01:53   #14
BHPian

Whoo,did I touch a raw nerve here ?? Bro I never said that you were running fakes, I just asked you to double check the rims,for your own good.And after reading KPzen's post I realize that these are really old rims,as you'd mentioned in the other thread that they'd been lying around for over a year,maybe discontinued by the company that's why they're not on the catalog anymore.I think they must be H-126 design by Hi-Join.Anyways,I'll let you have the last word on this.
Old 20th June 2007, 20:15   #15

multiPCD wheels are not weaker by any means.... if anything they will be a few grams lighter!

since most of the stress in cornering happens around the edge of the wheel.... there really isnt much going on around the centre of the wheel. During braking and accelaration - yes... thats when the PCD get full load. But in most driving..... unless your braking and accelarating is very aggressive, the centre of the wheels gets no damage.

This is why most DRIFTING wheels are designed with BIG BORE centres. YOu will never see a drift car with Deep dish wheels..... too much flex on the centre studs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks