Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2023, 10:29   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Apollo Tyres to manufacture high-performance Vredestein tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
- My first pick was Yokohama Geolandar; things have changed since the last set
- Michelin LTX Trail - Softer compound and hence, prone to cuts on rocky/gravel trails.
- BFGOODRICH ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2 - an overkill; quite heavy and high levels of road noise.
- Continental ContiCrossContact LX 2 - more tarmac biased
- Pirelli Scorpion ATR - tread is more tarmac biased
- MRF Wanderer - Performance was quite satisfactory but road noise was on the higher side.
- APOLLO APTERRA AT2 amazing VFM proposition.
- Vredestein Pinza AT - different compound, rendering it more comfortable and less noisy on tarmac
Thank You for this informative post, @cool_dube. I completely endorse what you've said about the Geolandar. I have a set of the older G012s on both my cars - 235/70R16 Made in Japan on one and 265/65R17 Made in Thailand on the other. The 265/65s are surprisingly silent while the 235s are more noisy. In fact I've found them a tad noisy from when they were new and associate this with the AT tread pattern. However from a pure longevity standpoint, the Made in Japan ones are holding out really well (pics attached - zero hairline cracks). About the same time last year, when we were looking at a change of tyres on a friend's old Fortuner, it was a close choice between the Continental CC LX2 and the Geolandar G015 and knowing my friend's usage requirements, told him to go with the Continental.

On your new shoes, I suggest you take the steed out at 90-100kmph on some open stretches of roads to check how "silent" they are.

SUV tyres for Indian Roads - Poll-geolandar_1.jpg

SUV tyres for Indian Roads - Poll-geolandar_2.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 1st September 2023 at 10:54.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 00:01   #77
BHPian

Re: SUV tyres for Indian Roads - Poll

Quote:
My responses below:

I'd say you have gone slightly above the km threshold of getting a good buyback value but still not too late. If you hesitate now and miles keep piling up, you will have to wait till at least 40,000-50,000 km, essentially the entire life of your current set. I changed mine at ~3,000 km on the odometer and got a decent deal.
May i know how much you got in comparison ? And what were you expecting ? Could be a DM.

Quote:
For your current use case, OE tires should be just fine but I strongly believe that a 4x4 SUV should be shod with ATs in case you decide to take it off the beaten track. After all, that is what you bought a 4x4 for, isn't it?
OE tires being A/S, how differently will they behave as compared to A/T ? With the same thought that occasional off-roads should not be a concern, i am thinking of changing.

Haven’t given serious thought to Apollo Apterras AT2.

I have got below quotes:
  • Yokohama Geolandar - ₹16,400
  • Michelin LTX Trail - ₹17,500
  • Continental CrossContact CCLX2 - 16,300
  • Pirelli Scorpion ATR - 18,500
Old 6th November 2023, 11:41   #78

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgalways View Post
Thanks! I reached out to the contact. He mentioned the 235/55R18 in Primacy would be only available in 2020/21 manufacturing. He did offer me latitudes from 2022.
Can you please share contact details for Bangalore. I am looking for these as well.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th November 2023 at 12:08. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 6th November 2023, 13:34   #79
BHPian

Hello Friends,
Can someone kindly point out , what would be the best tyres to upgrade in the new safari top end Accomplished Plus in 245/55/R19 size. Cannot find any tyres of this size online. It comes with MRF Wanderer tyres as stock.

Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 12:26   #80

Quote:
[b]Disclaimer: This is a longish post but hopefully should help folks considering a tyre swap for their SUVs.
Hey @cool_dube, thanks for the pearls of wisdom on selecting the right shoe for the best that the Fortuner is. I believe the tyres decide what the SUV can do when needed. Once cannot just jump on the decision to replace just any tyre when it comes to an SUV like Fortuner and that too a 4WD.

You rightly put across that even if one is not exploring offroading more often, the vehicle has to be kept ready to go anywhere. At the same time, one cannot also have only an offroading / MT tyre on always. Something which balances in between.

For past 2 days, I am thoroughly searching and reading through the posts and experiences on the tyre replacement. Found your post to be quite informative, descriptive and useful. Thanks a ton!

Just one more piece of info required - now that your tyres are few months old, do share your expereince on the performance. And what is teh life expectancy of these ones per your experience?

Thanks once again
AMIT SINGHAL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 15:46   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIT SINGHAL View Post
Found your post to be quite informative, descriptive and useful. Thanks a ton!
Glad that you found it useful. Thanks for the appreciation

Quote:
Just one more piece of info required - now that your tires are few months old, do share your experience on the performance. And what is the life expectancy of these ones per your experience?
Have not been able to clock as many miles since the tire change as I would have liked to, given certain personal commitments. However, did get a chance to do a couple of 1000+ km runs on the new footwear, with a mix of 4-lane smooth highways, 2-lane country roads, and some really bad trails - glad to report that the Pinza's have come out in flying colors so far across all fronts. Few highlights:
  • On-road grip is excellent, very impressive for an AT. High speed sweeping curves on highways are much more confidence inspiring now.
  • Road noise at triple-digit speeds is very low.
  • Ride on bad roads/trails is well-cushioned.
  • Excellent traction on gravel and loose rocks. Have not had a chance to try these yet on slush or snow.
As for life expectancy, cannot say at this point. Will report in due course, after putting some more miles on these.

Last edited by cool_dube : 5th December 2023 at 15:47.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 16:09   #82

Quote:
Glad that you found it useful. Thanks for the appreciation
Already searching for dealers selling vredestein Pinza. Now spoke to company corporate sales office and getting helped out by them.

Your inputs are quite helpful. Thanks once again.
Old 5th December 2023, 16:13   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgalways View Post
I ended up changing all 4 tyres to Michelin Primacy 245/50 R18s today.
Am little apprehensive of tyre upsizing. Michelin Primacy in my fortuner upon upsizing didn't do well. Wearing out happened only at 40K kms. hope it works out good on your vehicle. In my case, the side wall did not get reduced , maybe that could be the reason.

All the best!
Old 5th December 2023, 21:28   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Already searching for dealers selling vredestein Pinza. Now spoke to company corporate sales office and getting helped out by them. Your inputs are quite helpful. Thanks once again.
That's great! Let me know if you need any help - I can check with my Bangalore vendor too.

Quote:
Am little apprehensive of tyre upsizing
Stick to stock size

The Pinza looks aggressive and stylish at the same time:
Attached Thumbnails
SUV tyres for Indian Roads - Poll-pinza.jpg  

Old 6th December 2023, 10:52   #85

Quote:
That's great! Let me know if you need any help - I can check with my Bangalore vendor too.
The dealer is quoting 16500/- including GST, wheel alignment, balancing etc. The only dealer I could get hold of was through the Apollo corporate office. There are only 4 spare tyres in the company's sales office in Delhi which they intend to send to this particular dealer for me. June 23 manufacturing date!

You mentioned a higher price of this too almost 6 months back.

Could you please check the price with your dealer? And some lead of any other vendor out here in Delhi/Noida?

That will be of great help.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th December 2023 at 10:55. Reason: Grammar, Capitalisation. Please proofread before posting. Fixed quote.
Old 28th December 2023, 21:29   #86
Senior - BHPian

My apologies for a delayed response. Missed this message somehow.

Quote:
The dealer is quoting 16500/- including GST, wheel alignment, balancing etc.
This is a good deal

Quote:
The only dealer I could get hold of was through the Apollo corporate office.
Please check here for pan-India list of authorized dealers.

Quote:
June 23 manufacturing date!
That's less than 6 months old. Not an issue at all.
Old 18th January 2024, 12:50   #87
BHPian

Hi all. Greetings for the new year! I have a concern for my tyres on Scorpio N 4x4. The stock tyres, Bridgestone Ecopia are great for light trails and ruts. Thus shall not upgrade to AT tyres right now.

However, I noticed that both left tyres and both right tyres have opposite tread patterns. Also, the tyre serial number along with ISO mark is on the outside wall on the RIGHT side tyres and on the inside wall on the LEFT side tyres. Is this normal? Or something to be concerned about? It has been as such from the factory.

Attaching a picture showing the opposite tread.
Attached Thumbnails
SUV tyres for Indian Roads - Poll-img_6461.jpeg  

SUV tyres for Indian Roads - Poll-img_6460.jpeg  

Old 23rd January 2024, 00:42   #88
BHPian

My choice of A/T tyres would be as follows(in the order of preference)

1. Yokohama Geolander A/T G015: Best overall tyre - recommended for 70-80% road, 20-30% offroad
Plus: 3PMSF tyres, low road noise, decent FE, decent performance offroad
Minus: Average ride comfort, moderate sidewall protection

2. Bridgestone Dueler A/T: More road-biased - recommended for 80-90% road, 10-20% offroad
Plus- Very good FE, low road noise, easy to balance, good traction
Minus- Average off-road performance, poor sidewall protection

3. BF Goodrich A/T KO2- Beefy,rugged offroad tyres - recommended for 60-70% road, 30-40% offroad
Plus- 3PMSF tyres, great overall performance offroad, 3-Ply sidewall(good protection)
Minus- Average FE, hard to balance, moderate road noise

Last edited by HighOnSpeed : 23rd January 2024 at 00:50.

Most Viewed