Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2022, 20:39   #16
BHPian

Re: Nitrogen air is rarer than Unobtanium in Mumbai? Need help guys

Regular air is 78% Nitrogen 21% Oxygen and 1% Argon. You should be fine with regular air. Just ensure that the pressure is right and keep a regular check.
Old 14th January 2022, 20:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
From Ville Parle to Andheri and Bandra W to Andheri i must have stopped at no less than 10 different bunks and not one has nitrogen.

Please can someone guide me to a pump with Nitrogen in the vicinity?
As other members have pointed out, filling the normal air too isn't a problem.

Also, many people won't come to know even if the normal air is filled into their tyres in the name of Nitrogen.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 09:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...can I top it up with regular air and then redo the whole thing with Nitrogen once..
Don't bother filling nitrogen.
From my own experience of filling only nitrogen for several years and then switching to regular air, I haven't found any difference.

Since the last 3 years, have filling it myself using air inflator and it has been the best experience without having to worry about wrong air calibration at pumps.
Old 15th January 2022, 13:11   #19
BHPian

Like everyone else said, fill the air using a pump. We use this for bicycle and motorcycle for the last 4 years. We usually carry this with us on a long ride, along with puncture kit. I check the air every morning and top it up once in a week.

Cycling Foot Pump 520
Old 15th January 2022, 13:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
Like everyone else said, fill the air using a pump. We use this for bicycle and motorcycle for the last 4 years. We usually carry this with us on a long ride, along with puncture kit. I check the air every morning and top it up once in a week.

Cycling Foot Pump 520
I visited the link and found the description of this item as follows - _Designed for inflating the tyres on hybrid bikes. Also suitable for city and kids' bike tyres_
I doubt it can inflate a car's tyres with durability on the long run.
Old 15th January 2022, 13:38   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Going against the the tide here. I have been filling nitrogen for a long time now and while I know a lot of the so called benefits are not really true, the fact that the pressure does not drop even a single point for atleast 2-3 months is a good enough reason for me to stick to the nitrogen fill. I like that convenience of not having to check it every couple of weeks.

On the topic, am surprised that it is hard to find. In Bangalore, most fuel stations in my area have it and they don't charge anything also.
Old 15th January 2022, 16:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Going against the the tide here. I have been filling nitrogen for a long time now and while I know a lot of the so called benefits are not really true, the fact that the pressure does not drop even a single point for atleast 2-3 months is a good enough reason for me to stick to the nitrogen fill. I like that convenience of not having to check it every couple of weeks.
Get an inflator or just a pressure gauge and cycle pump (that's what I have), keep topping up. Even if the belief that nitrogen molecules are bigger and other gases escape easily is true, in one year all tyres will end up with 99+% nitrogen. If the pressure gauge is good, the readings will be accurate and consistent compared to filling stations.

Last edited by nandrive : 15th January 2022 at 16:06.
Old 16th January 2022, 18:40   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Pingua View Post
I visited the link and found the description of this item as follows - _Designed for inflating the tyres on hybrid bikes. Also suitable for city and kids' bike tyres_
I doubt it can inflate a car's tyres with durability on the long run.
Don't worry about the technical description. I have been using it for motorcycle for more than 3years. This pump is relatively easier to operate compared to a foot pump. So, if you don't want to carry it around on a motorcycle, you can buy this.

Cycling Floor Pump 500 As it says in the website, it can Inflate up to 8 bar / 116 Psi.

Give it a bit of time for heat dissipation, if you are filling all 4 tires. Pump cylinder will heat up a lot. If you want to make it an easier task, buy MI pump. But not sure how long it will last.
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 21:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

I am using normal air and I visit fuel station for refilling air every 2 - 3 months. I have TPMS and know when to visit for air refilling.

If you are driving even a couple of kilometers, there may be some variation from recommended cold tyre pressure. The fuel pump I visit regularly got a calibration problem and fills less. Considering these factors, I fill up 39 psi (recommended 35 psi), which my TPMS will show around 37 psi. When tyres are sufficiently cooled, I would adjust to 35 psi using TPMS and digital pressure gauge. I think we should not rely only on pressure gauges of fuel stations as those may not be regularly/properly calibrated.
Old 17th July 2022, 19:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
My car has Nitrogen fills, currently at 32 on all tyres.
The Indian Oil Petrol Station at vile parle domestic airport has 95-octane and nitrogen available. It has had both for a while.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th July 2022 at 20:16. Reason: Please quote only relevant portion and proofread before posting.
Old 21st July 2022, 19:23   #26
BHPian

Almost all company -owned petrol pumps have the Nitrogen Air facility now. Have been using Nitrogen for all my cars and happy with the peace of mind for a longer term as compared to regular Air.

Most Viewed