Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2022, 10:55   #1
BHPian

Nitrogen air is rarer than Unobtanium in Mumbai? Need help guys

My car has Nitrogen fills, currently at 32 on all tyres. For long highway rides I only ride at the recommended level which is 36.

Live in Andheri East, and for the past 2 days whenever I head out I stop at every pump in the way to check for nitrogen but no dice.

From Ville Parle to Andheri and Bandra W to Andheri i must have stopped at no less than 10 different bunks and not one has nitrogen.

Please can someone guide me to a pump with Nitrogen in the vicinity?

Alternatively, can I top it up with regular air and then redo the whole thing with Nitrogen once I reach Chennai or enroute in Blr?
Old 10th January 2022, 11:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nitrogen air is rarer than Unobtanium in Mumbai? Need help guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
My car has Nitrogen fills, currently at 32 on all tyres. For long highway rides I only ride at the recommended level which is 36.

Live in Andheri East, and for the past 2 days whenever I head out I stop at every pump in the way to check for nitrogen but no dice.

From Ville Parle to Andheri and Bandra W to Andheri i must have stopped at no less than 10 different bunks and not one has nitrogen.

Please can someone guide me to a pump with Nitrogen in the vicinity?

Alternatively, can I top it up with regular air and then redo the whole thing with Nitrogen once I reach Chennai or enroute in Blr?
Tomorrow morning, drive the vehicle to the nearest fuel station (within 2km is best), use whatever air they have and fill upto the OEM recommended air pressure. That's it, you are good to go for the next 3-4 weeks.

Alternatively you can buy an Mi tyre inflator and do this at home before the vehicle is used for the day (Cold tyre pressure). Nitrogen is what we breathe in for the most part, so don't worry about it.
Kosfactor is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 11:36   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Even normal air is 78% nitrogen. The only real benefit of filling pure nitrogen is that the tire pressure remains maintained for a good 2-3 months at a stretch. With normal air, you need to top up every 15-20 days. That’s the primary and relevant difference.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 11:47   #4
BHPian

My opinion is that Nitrogen is no big deal. If you are unable to get nitrogen just fill regular air.
Get a TPMS fitted and use that to monitor the air pressure. This will give you far more piece of mind than just fill Nitrogen and fele good about it.
deep_bang is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 14:21   #5
BHPian

Hey guys, thanks. That is helpful and as Shreyans said my biggest pro for Nitrogen is that it stays for weeks, even if am not using the car. Normal for some reason I need to top up every 2-3 weeks

But for this trip will be fuelling up in a shell pump and will top up air also enroute. Thanks again
Old 11th January 2022, 09:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, thanks. That is helpful and as Shreyans said my biggest pro for Nitrogen is that it stays for weeks, even if am not using the car. Normal for some reason I need to top up every 2-3 weeks

But for this trip will be fuelling up in a shell pump and will top up air also enroute. Thanks again
Try Sawant tyre service in Santacruz west. Used to go there years ago and the guy pestered me again and again for Nitrogen which I did not want. Finally because of this reason I chose another wheel alignment guy. Do call them ahead and inquire before visiting if they have Nitrogen available still.

https://www.justdial.com/Mumbai/Sawa...P5908775_BZDET

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 11th January 2022 at 09:50.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 10:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Regular air mixed with nitrogen is as good. I have done it on multiple occasions. In fact my FNG guy asked me to get rid of nitrogen during summers. Instead of all the hassles, I just use the normal air but at only one place. I don't have to worry about the psi as my car is equipped with TPMS.
Old 11th January 2022, 11:24   #8
BHPian

IIRC the company owned HP petrol pump outlet at the main Bandra signal (Intersection of SV & Linking Road) has a nitrogen filling machine. Do give a try if you're traveling towards Bandra
Old 11th January 2022, 12:17   #9
BHPian

IOC Coco Pump in BKC also has Nitrogen Filling. It is very close to BKC Chunnabati coonnector.
Old 11th January 2022, 21:06   #10
BHPian

The company-owned HPCL outlet at BKC is my go-to for nitrogen. All our cars have been going here for nitrogen top-up since the last few years. Alternatively, check Lotus Petrol Pump at Oshiwara near Infiniti Mall.
Old 11th January 2022, 23:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nitrogen filling is a scam. Nothing more.

Aircrafts and Formula 1 cars use Nitrogen, so as in an event of accident, air inside tyre doesn't add to the fire.

Best thing is to buy Tyre Pressure Inflator and fill it up by yourself. Majorly many fuel pump pressure gauge aren't properly calibrated.

Doing same for almost 4 years now.

If car is idle, need to check tyre pressure once every 3 weeks.

If car is used regularly, check tyre pressure once every 2 weeks.

el lobo 6061 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 00:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

No real advantage with filling Nitrogen. Few years an acquaintance even measured temperatures on a hot summer day during a drives, and there was no difference in temperature between tyres filled with normal air vs nitrogen.

In Madras, they charge 50 rupees a fill for this.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 10:21   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Even normal air is 78% nitrogen. The only real benefit of filling pure nitrogen is that the tire pressure remains maintained for a good 2-3 months at a stretch. With normal air, you need to top up every 15-20 days. That’s the primary and relevant difference.
Quote:
My biggest pro for Nitrogen is that it stays for weeks, even if am not using the car. Normal for some reason I need to top up every 2-3 weeks

For my vehicles this is not the case, my car and scooters lose 5psi every week.. Same case with normal air too.
Can someone help here on how to proceed further?

Last edited by mr_robot : 12th January 2022 at 10:23.
Old 12th January 2022, 10:53   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_robot View Post
For my vehicles this is not the case, my car and scooters lose 5psi every week.. Same case with normal air too.
Can someone help here on how to proceed further?
You definitely need to have the tires checked. It’s a puncture or a leaking valve or a cracked alloy. Most likely the latter. There is no scenario in which a normal undamaged wheel looses 5psi in a week.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 11:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
It’s a puncture or a leaking valve or a cracked alloy. Most likely the latter.
Thanks for your reply.
Oh boy! I'm confused as how all 3 vehicles can have a valve leak or a cracked alloy. I will get them all checked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks