Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2015, 02:11   #91
BHPian

re: Toyota Corolla : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
1. What are you looking to get out of your new set of tyres? Comfort? Grip? Noise levels? VFM etc etc. There are lot of brands to choose from. Earth 1 is a good option and its reasonably priced as well.
Just wanted good performance, so that includes comfort and grip. I am not too sure on what 'Noise levels' mean. As I mentioned, largely city driving, and one big drive coming up. I got the Yoko Earth 1. The first drive back home felt like new shoes.

Quote:
2. Can't help with you this. Sorry.
Got these from Asian Tyres at Malad W. Rs. 5000 each incl alignment and balancing. And I also got an air inflator. Seems pretty useful. And when I was not looking, he also added a free tissue box. Small gestures impress. Just one point - he does not take card payment. Was however okay if I sent him a cheque, that was pretty trustworthy.

Quote:
3. Not required. Out of your current set, keep one which is in a good condition. Buy a set of 4 and rotate only those 4. When you use your spare wheel, get it changed asap instead of continuing using it.
Did that. Retained the Bridgestone as a spare.

Quote:
Hope this helps.
Of course, thanks.
Old 14th May 2015, 23:30   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackr View Post
Just wanted good performance, so that includes comfort and grip. I am not too sure on what 'Noise levels' mean. As I mentioned, largely city driving, and one big drive coming up. I got the Yoko Earth 1. The first drive back home felt like new shoes.
What size did you opt for. Looks like the tyre inflater was the deal clincher : )

These are good tyres I ve heard, fairly good on comfort and grip, do let us know how they behave.
Old 14th May 2015, 23:35   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Got these from Asian Tyres at Malad W. Rs. 5000 each incl alignment and balancing. And I also got an air inflator.
What is the size that you opted for?
Old 15th May 2015, 21:11   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Opted for Michelin XM2 205/65 R15 finally @ Rs. 5900 per tyre.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Corolla : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20150515_145223.jpg  

drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 10:49   #95
BHPian

Quote:

Got these from Asian Tyres at Malad W. Rs. 5000 each incl alignment and balancing. And I also got an air inflator. Seems pretty useful. And when I was not looking, he also added a free tissue box. Small gestures impress. Just one point - he does not take card payment. Was however okay if I sent him a cheque, that was pretty trustworthy.

Did that. Retained the Bridgestone as a spare.

Of course, thanks.

Yoko Earth 1 is a good choice indeed. It's a good balance of grip, comfort and VFM. Plus a free air inflator, what else do you want.

Enjoy your upcoming drive with the new set.

And I noticed your cars which are very similar to the ones I've owned and have at present!
Old 27th May 2015, 01:39   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
What size did you opt for. Looks like the tyre inflater was the deal clincher : )

These are good tyres I ve heard, fairly good on comfort and grip, do let us know how they behave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What is the size that you opted for?
Opted for the 195/65/R15. Yes the inflator may have been the deal clincher. I was initially sceptical on going to a local shop instead of the authorised service centre as it was a question of tyre fitment. Called up Lakozy to enquire about brands and prices. Did not get an immediate reply and they said someone would call back. Plus, I had come across good comments and recommendations for the Earth 1. And the urgency. So searched for an authorised dealer for this brand and went ahead. It was only after I got the tyres fitted that I got a call from Lakozy. Surprisingly he said that they have now started keeping Yokohama in stock (surprising because this was not the case with Madhuban Toyota when I had enquired some days back). Upon asking the reason, he said that more customers are demanding Yokohama. Not sure how true that statement was.

Quote:
Yoko Earth 1 is a good choice indeed. It's a good balance of grip, comfort and VFM. Plus a free air inflator, what else do you want.

Enjoy your upcoming drive with the new set.
Oh yes. The drive was great. Did a bit more than 2300 kms. Mumbai Chikmagalur Coorg Kabini and back.

Quote:
And I noticed your cars which are very similar to the ones I've owned and have at present!
Glad to join the club!!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th May 2015 at 11:58. Reason: Corrected quotes, removed unwanted spacing.
Old 16th June 2015, 00:36   #97
BHPian

Re: Toyota Corolla : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Our 2004 Corolla is due for its second set of tyre changes, and this time I wanted to move away from the mediocre Bridgestone Potenza RE88.

I'm happy with the stock tyre size of 195/60 R15. All suggestions welcome.

I personally wanted to go with the Yokohama Earth 1. It comes with a slightly higher profile than standard (195/65 vs 195/60), but I don't think that will cause any tyre rubbing problems.
Old 16th June 2015, 08:48   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartyasg View Post
Our 2004 Corolla is due for its second set of tyre changes, and this time I wanted to move away from the mediocre Bridgestone Potenza RE88.

I'm happy with the stock tyre size of 195/60 R15. All suggestions welcome.

I personally wanted to go with the Yokohama Earth 1. It comes with a slightly higher profile than standard (195/65 vs 195/60), but I don't think that will cause any tyre rubbing problems.
Corolla is a grossly under tyred car, the new altis which is basically the same platform is now coming with 205/55 R16 tyres which IMO are the correct tyres for old Corolla as well. That said many don't want to change the OEM alloys including me. So I have experimented with 195/65 R15 on my 2005 Corolla, result: no positive difference since this car already has ample GC, this size increases it further, good if you are driving daily on mud roads filled with stones or where potholes are deeper than 5-6 inches. Drawbacks: driving at 140 kms and beyond the car feels very lightweight since there is more air under the car because of extra GC which builds extra pressure. So stick to OE size.

Option 2: get the nearest to the right size. 205/60 R15, the best on good roads, highways etc. I never tried this size though.

My Solution: I got 205/65 R15, now it feels like an SUV, for Bangalore roads you need that extra GC, luckily even the high speed dynamics did not change, 140-160 on highways is a piece of cake. Steering feels better (very slightly heavier) on highways. Corolla comes with a light steering which makes me nervous on highways at higher speeds which is now taken care of. Plus got water draining tyres of Falken for killer price, and the tyres are really awesome, have done about 8K kms so far.

Advantage: car feels more stable at higher speeds, takes on bad roads with ease and slightly better speeds without worries.

All the above sizes will not rub your car, remember that your car is under tyred.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 22:00   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Opted for the 195/65/R15. Yes the inflator may have been the deal clincher. I was initially sceptical on going to a local shop instead of the authorised service centre as it was a question of tyre fitment. Called up Lakozy to enquire about brands and prices. Did not get an immediate reply and they said someone would call back. Plus, I had come across good comments and recommendations for the Earth 1. And the urgency. So searched for an authorised dealer for this brand and went ahead. It was only after I got the tyres fitted that I got a call from Lakozy. Surprisingly he said that they have now started keeping Yokohama in stock (surprising because this was not the case with Madhuban Toyota when I had enquired some days back). Upon asking the reason, he said that more customers are demanding Yokohama. Not sure how true that statement was.
Oh yes. The drive was great. Did a bit more than 2300 kms. Mumbai Chikmagalur Coorg Kabini and back.

Glad to join the club!!

Has anyone used online ordering for tyres like the below site which allows you to choose the type of tyres:
http://www.tyreonwheels.com/car/tyre...t/vm/12/Indore
If yes what was your experience in terms of delivery and service, fitting etc
Old 8th December 2015, 12:53   #100
BHPian

Need a change of tires on my Altis. All recommendations are for the Earth 1. However, after reading a little bit about upgrades on the Altis, i want to check on the possibility of upgrading one size on the tire from 195 to 205/65 R15. I hope there wont be any downsides of doing a minor upsize that i mentioned.

My need from the upgrade is as per the order of mentioning.

1. Handling and road holding (Grip)
2. Longevity
3. Build quality
4. Road noise
5. Comfort

Experts, please advise.
Old 8th January 2016, 14:42   #101

Hi all

I am getting a Corolla automatic in a few days time, and am looking for suggestions on upgrading tyres. I have read good reviews about the stock Yokohamas, but am keen to improve further if possible. Cost is immaterial, criteria is noise + safety (braking/cornering/handling).

Would appreciate any suggestions, many thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 15:57   #102

Request for suggestions on the latest available options for Toyota Corolla 1.8E (2008) model. Stock tyres changed once earlier (after considearbly good km / time), need one more change now due to 'cracks' on the edges! I was told that this is due to 'hardening' of rubber! Not sure why it happened! The car is running regularly! I was also told that the Bridgestone Potenza quality is the culprit! The tyres have hardly done 10k - 15k!

1) Yokohama Earth 205 or 195 (stock)? I do plan to upgrade size if your recommendations don't have any negatives
2) Michelin (which type)?
3) Continental (type)?

I was strongly recommended 'Continental' by a dealer and mentioned that there is a discount scheme going on for the remaining stock! Don't believe him in general! Look forward to your suggestions...
Old 16th June 2016, 01:08   #103
BHPian

Just got a 10 year old Corolla 2006 model. Still running with original tyres and 35k mileage done on the car. Need to change all the 4 tyres out . Have gone through multiple threads and posts and decided on the following 2 options. Either the Yokohama Earth 1 or Turanza Er 60. For tyre size still contemplating between 195/60/R15 or 205/60/R 15.

Wanted to know which one is recommended out of the two the OEM size of the 205 one. I know 205/60/R15 has lot of advantages over the stock size. Are there any negatives in going for them any issues regarding drop in Fuel efficiency or handling.

Looking for inputs and feedback on the same to make the right decision.
I drive out of station quarterly on long distances, city driving is less. Also drive at 120 to 150 Kmph speeds and tyres should be able to handle bad roads. So keeping the above in mind please guide which brand and tyre to go for.
Old 16th June 2016, 08:37   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheersHonda View Post
Request for suggestions on the latest available options for Toyota Corolla 1.8E (2008) model. Stock tyres changed once earlier (after considearbly good km / time), need one more change now due to 'cracks' on the edges! I was told that this is due to 'hardening' of rubber! Not sure why it happened! The car is running regularly! I was also told that the Bridgestone Potenza quality is the culprit! The tyres have hardly done 10k - 15k!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Just got a 10 year old Corolla 2006 model. Still running with original tyres and 35k mileage done on the car. Need to change all the 4 tyres out . Have gone through multiple threads and posts and decided on the following 2 options. Either the Yokohama Earth 1 or Turanza Er 60. For tyre size still contemplating between 195/60/R15 or 205/60/R 15.

I have replaced all 4 tyres of my 2006 Corolla in last September to Yoko Earth 1 stock size and have done 10.5k KMs till now. Quite happy with the performance of the tyres including wet grip. I drive mainly in the city and occassional long drives so, I did not consider upsizing.

I have heard XM2s are lower on the noise levels, but have also heard that they have a softer side walls, so did not take a chance with XM2. But I have felt that Earth 1 too is good on the noise levels and don't feel any noise if the windows are closed and mild noise if they are open.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 09:01   #105
BHPian

I changed tyres on my 6 year old Altis recently. Though the general recommendation was for Yokohama Earth 1, the dealer pushed for Michelin XM2. Did a quick-check on team-bhp and went ahead for XM2 205/65-15.

The overall difference in noise-levels between stock, Bridgestone ?ER60? and these is marginal on typical roads. In order to stress-test, I drove over the road-markers for a short while and then the difference was more perceptible.

Just to correctly set the expectations of future buyers.
anupgangwar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks