Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2007, 15:26   #61
BHPian

Hi KP,

I run an Indica Turbo V2 DLG 2007. I upgraded my shoes from the stock 165/65 R14 to 185/65 R14s right during vehicle delivery.

And now, since am contemplating alloys, and ran into the Samurai range of Lenso alloys, it caught my interest a bit.

Hence wanted to know if I could upgrade to 15inch alloy rims and new set of G3s

Advice please..
Old 28th November 2007, 15:40   #62
Senior - BHPian

Shrikanth
195/50-15 would be the best 15" upsize for Indica. Ride quality with this setup would really go for a toss.
So, if u can manage that then go for 15" else stick with 14".
Regards
Old 28th November 2007, 16:26   #63
Team-BHP Support

Indica is a front heavy car. Even on the stock rims and tires(high profile setup) a nasty pothole can lead to bent rims(have bent 4 rims till now, and I am very careful)
In case of a low profile setup, there is a good chance that on one dark night you will crack the 15" alloys.
Old 1st December 2007, 17:45   #64
BHPian

New Tyres for my Turbo DLX

Hi Guys!

thanx to all of you specially tsk1979 for all the help and guidance. Today i purchased a new set of Tyres Appolo Acelere 185/65/H/14 + Eagle Alloys for my ride!.They are just awesome... had the rear drum and front calipers painted red and now it looks like a beauty...am updating the pics in my gallery..

regards and thanx once again.
Old 1st December 2007, 17:50   #65
BHPian

Pic

Old 5th December 2007, 22:43   #66
BHPian

help me guys!

hi.. i want to change tyres and stock rims of my indica dlx turbo.
after much enquiry on forum, i zeroed down on upgrade of
185/60 r 14 . stock ones are 165/65 r 14.

please tell me which steel rims to buy? what are the prices? i got a quote of 700 from one dealer ... i dont want to go for alloys.. too expensive.

also, in tyres, lot of people reccomended apollo acclere ,price 2800/-

any other options, are goodyear good tyres, why they cost so cheap- 2000?
Old 26th May 2008, 13:21   #67
Team-BHP Support

25K kms update

The car ran fine with no punctures, no tire damage, until recently.
Been to many remote himalayan areas, with twisty roads and screaming tires.
Had one major emergency braking experience, locked the tires, and the car skidded dead straight.
Never had a puncture or sidewall damage issue on any of the trips.
Recently(few 100kms before) found air low in both front tires.
Got them checked, and found 2 punctures(one in each tire).
There were big nails in the tire. Since I drive a lot around the metro construction area, maybe this is expected.
Then yesterday the front RHS tire had low air. got it checked, and found a nail in the tire.
Three punctures in a span of a few hundred kms

The tread depth is still decent, with the tire markers now showing any replacement need. I guess they are good for another 10K or 7-8K at most.
The Potenza's lasted 40K, these will last around 32-33K. But then the Potenza's had never seen so many himalayan adventures.
Mountain roads really take a toll on the tread.

I am happy that I did not face any tire damage issues on non existent roads, and even after driving on sharp stones and all the tires hold up.
But as far as nails are concerned the story is different.
I wonder whether all people who frequently drive around metro etc., construction areas face frequent punctures.
To sum it up
1. Tire noise - Great performance as compared to GIII
2. Dry grip and braking - Excellent! Even locking wheels at 90kmph the car kept a straight line, stopping 2 inches before the biker who decided to take a U turn in the middle of the road. Lot of smoke and burning smell, but no severe flat spotting
3. Wet performance : the V tread of potenza wins here. Water fording ability of the potenza was definitely better
4. Tire life - Potenza held up better, and at this stage had deeper tread left, but then potenza never saw the conditions this tire has seen

Verdict : Good bang for the buck. Nothing exceptional about the tire, a good scorer in all parameters, but nothing exceptional.
I may go for accelere sport as replacement, or maybe Yoko's lets see. Price and deal and freebies will determine the outcome now
Old 26th May 2008, 13:36   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I hope they are right about long life and puncture resistance too!
I had acceleres on my 2004 Indica DLS (sold the car). These were installed on 13" - 5.5 wide Aura alloys
I had upgraded from Apollo amazer tubetype to this. I had found the grip levels much superior and braking had improved. The steering also felt much lighter. I had used the tyre for 18 months and about 15K kilometres before I sold the car.
I did not have a single puncture in this duration. One tyre had a slightly chipped side wall. The wear and tear was very high. The tyre had lost almost 75% of its tread depth. This was after following a 6 monthly balancing and alignment schedule including one when the tyres were changed.
Old 26th May 2008, 15:06   #69
Senior - BHPian

tsk bhai, that assumes you'll keep indica for that long no?

What of all the glow plug replacements?
Old 26th May 2008, 15:33   #70
Team-BHP Support

Glow plug replacements? Well they the glow plug timer started working on its own again.
And yes, the indica will stay for another 10K atleast
Old 26th May 2008, 16:28   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I may go for accelere sport as replacement, or maybe Yoko's lets see. Price and deal and freebies will determine the outcome now
Tanveer
Acelere Sportz starts from 14". Planning to upsize??

Nice update. Keep them coming..
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:00   #72
Team-BHP Support

30000 kms later, two new Aceleres!

I have changed 2 tires on the indica.
One tire had gone bust due to alignment issue. The other tire suffered 8 punctures all very close to each other. Looks like some "nail bed" sort of device hit the tire. Looks like some puncture wallah trying to make some money.
So I decided to get 2 tires.
So out of the 4 Aceleres I had put, 2 went away.
1 of the old ones is the spare now since treat depth is very low in that one(this was the other alignment casuality). The other one is at rear and will go easily for another 10K

To be honest I am happy with tire life, considering that these tires have done very very tough terrain in the himalayas.
I have got punctures but every time it has been due to nails etc., never due to sharp rocks etc.,
Even on very very bad roads, I have never had sidewall damage issues, and on couple of occaisons I have locked up at 100kmph, the car used to track dead straight.
Even after lot of sound and smoke, no flat spotting.
Grip in wet is nothing awesome, but not too bad either. This tire is like the Hyundai cars. Its "best" in no particular category, but performs well in every category. An all rounder.
If I was putting tires on a new car, I would have tried to find some potenza's but since indica will do city duty only, this is the best tire in 185/60R13 size.

In the Himalayas, even on the indica downhill, I never felt lack of grip, dry or wet.
These did duty at with slushy snow at jalori pass, and at that time they had done 18K kms. No issues whatever.

These are by far the most VFM tires I have owned.
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:23   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These are by far the most VFM tires I have owned.
Tanveer right said buddy, absolute VFM tyres. I have changed and tried over 3 brands of tyres on my car and found these to be the best in terms in pricing.
Old 26th August 2009, 20:40   #74
BHPian

After getting inspiration from this thread, I decided to get the same size for my Indica. A lot has already been talked about the performance, ride quality, road grip etc, so I will not repeat that but one thing disturbing me that there is noise coming out from front left hand side tyre on certain speed of 60/70 km/h. I do not think this is due to any issue on the tyre as I have closely checked the tyre and didn't notice any issue there. May be some issues in the suspension, will get it checked
Overall I am a satisfied customer.

Last edited by anonymous : 26th August 2009 at 20:41. Reason: Grammer errrrrrr Grammar, what else
Old 25th September 2009, 16:29   #75
BHPian

Have been following this thread closely. My earlier plan of upgrading to Aceleres had to be dropped for lack of money, and the stock ones were serving fine. But after 46k kms on the odo now and cracks and bulges on 3 tires, am finally planning to go for 185/60/r14 Aceleres for my Turbo Indica v2. A casual enquiry at a tire shop in old airport road, Bangalore the person quoted 3300/ per piece. What should be the right price currently??

cheers

Most Viewed