Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2022, 10:03   #1
BHPian

Gashed diamond-cut alloy wheel | Now what?

Hello all, looking for some advise on how do I get this fixed to a reasonable extent. I'm unsure if the local tyre shop's equipment caused this or some stone/kerb hit on the highways. I casually asked the tyre shop owner on call if it could by caused by the equipment in use and he calmly denied. I sadly noticed it much later after driving away. He told me "worst case, the equipment can only cause light scratches on the perimeter of the alloy". Also, the Honda body shop executive whom I know well had the same opinion.

At least to my eyes, it's an eyesore and moreover I'm worried if there's any scope of corrosion once the monsoon sets in. Any leads in BLR would be highly appreciated and I don't know if I can go the insurance route and get this thing replaced. Please assist.
Attached Thumbnails
Gashed diamond-cut alloy wheel | Now what?-upload.jpg  

Dead_Pedal is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 10:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Gashed diamond-cut alloy wheel | Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Pedal View Post
At least to my eyes, it's an eyesore and moreover I'm worried if there's any scope of corrosion once the monsoon sets in. Any leads in BLR would be highly appreciated and I don't know if I can go the insurance route and get this thing replaced. Please assist.
Take a deep breath and chill. You will stop noticing it after a few days.

New cars evoke a lot of emotions. This is a small scratch, and you will get used to it in a few days...
2000rpm is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 11:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't recommend leaving it as it is. The laquer will start coming loose and it may look real ugly soon

Officially the way up repair a diamond cut alloy is to have it re cut using a diamond - you can do this only once or twice before the wheel becomes too thin

Another option is to sand the part lightly until the gash is not visible and then paint it with the correct clear coat (not the regular stuff- you'll need something used for alloy wheels)

The hard part is finding such a guy. When i was in the US, i was able to get this done, not sure about India options
greenhorn is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 11:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

That looks like a curb rash even though the scratch looks a bit more cleaner which might have caused by an equipment. Any car will have tons of it in their alloys if you examine closely. I have close to 10 such marks in my car.

I even replaced 2 badly scratched alloys due to my OCD. But they came back with vengeance. So learned to leave them alone.

Alloy wheel repairs are costly which will involve buffing and repainting. This can cost same as painting charges for a panel or more if it is dual toned. Even then quality is a big question mark in India for such works. It is not worth the time and money. So leave it as it is since you will see more of them soon.

Last edited by poloman : 29th March 2022 at 11:46.
poloman is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 13:17   #5
BHPian

Yes, trying hard to get this thing off my mind. But, if this is indeed caused by an equipment slip(I kind of feel so), I'd be more cautious the next time around and would definitely switch to some other reputed outlet. Anyways, I called up A1 car care(wheel shop) in Jayanagar and the guy who works there told me it can be fixed 90% in 2hrs by sanding etc and the patchwork would only be obvious upon close inspection. I'll take a call over the next few days. My only worry is if I indeed try to get this fixed, I shouldn't end up with more problems.
Old 29th March 2022, 14:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is an alloy - it will not corrode.
Definitely not a safety concern also.

Eyesore - only because you know where to look.
My advise would be to overlook and ignore, and within one month you may not even remember.

The deepness of impact suggest a hit with kerb, but then there should've been corresponding mark on the tyres (and most likely a perforation in the tyre sidewall).

On the other hand it is possible that someone dropped your wheel on the tyre removal machine - however, usually the operator holds the outside face of the wheel UP (because it is easier to hold and maneuver that ways) and places the backside down on which tyre removal takes place. So the marks, if they are made, should be on the inside face of the wheel.
alpha1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 16:05   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

It has no implications for safety and handling. Consider it a battle scar and proudly wear it. Get it fixed if you can but if you keep trying to fix every little ding and dent, you will waste a lot of time. Except for you and few of us on the forum, nobody would notice it or give much thought to it.
androdev is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 17:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello all, looking for some advise on how do I get this fixed to a reasonable extent.
---
Leave it as is, given the few 'millimeter damage' length. Corrosion not likely given the metal type.
Speaking of insurance, the advisor/surveyor will also probably suggest to let it be since the claim amount + process may not be worth the hassle.
And you might lose your No Claim Bonus component for the year, which could be a neat sum by itself.
The thumb rule for invoking insurance could be when the repairs amount > premium amount.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 15:32   #9
BHPian

It's easily repairable.

A good body shop can do it.

they will fill with putty , sand it to shape and paint it in dual tone again.

Check out videos by "Brotomotiv" where they paint alloys in dual tone finish. Similar to what Diamond cut wheels look like.

I had my Honda CIty wheels replaced when I scuffed them under insurance free of cost (nil dip). But the next year's premium went up significantly. The amount was smaller than the cost of the wheels but it's still much more expensive than living with a scratch on your wheels.

I think you are a new car owner.

In short, you'll get used to it.

My safari roams without a bumper, I'm kinda used to the scuffs and scrapes by now.
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 17:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
It's easily repairable.

I think you are a new car owner.

In short, you'll get used to it.
Well, yeah maybe I'm worrying about it too much. But, upset at the fact that the mirror like brushed aluminium finish may not be possible to obtain at all. That's what I've been reading unless the whole thing is stripped down and refinished.
Old 30th March 2022, 21:06   #11
BANNED

This is typical of the atrocities that tyre shops commit on alloys. I usually have them use a thick cloth between the alloy and their lever (which is the main culprit).

There really isn’t anything you can do to repair it. You’ll forget it after sometime. It’s not worth replacing it and repairs are not advisable.
EV NXT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 21:24   #12
Team-BHP Support

Is the tire-facing edge of the gash sharp? If so, I'd recommend getting it smoothened out so it doesn't damage the tire while rolling or if you hit a pothole/undulation just there.

When dealing with tire stores in the future, have them use rubber sleeves on the levers they use to separate the tire from the wheel. I've seen these used at Madhus in Bangalore. Best to use a store that has contactless equipment, but those aren't available everywhere.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th March 2022 at 21:26.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 21:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Is the tire-facing edge of the gash sharp? If so, I'd recommend getting it smoothened out so it doesn't damage the tire while rolling or if you hit a pothole/undulation just there.
Yes, it does feel sharp and the damage or chipping seems to have occurred at several spots on that very alloy. I usually get alignment/balancing done at the Honda ASC because if something goes wrong, they do take responsibility unlike these local chaps who couldn't care less about these incidents. But, would machines really cause such deep damages? Just curious, as I'll definitely follow your advise the next time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post
There really isn’t anything you can do to repair it. You’ll forget it after sometime. It’s not worth replacing it and repairs are not advisable.
Replacement is definitely out of question. A single unit costs Rs.16000. Could you please elaborate as why repairs are not advisable? The sanding, filling, polishing etc.

Last edited by Dead_Pedal : 30th March 2022 at 21:56. Reason: Multi quote
Old 30th March 2022, 22:09   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...But, would machines really cause such deep damages? Just curious...
It's possible, if the operator isn't careful while mounting the wheel onto the tire removal or other apparatus. On rotation, the arm that pops the tire off (for example) can rub across the rim edge and depending on how badly off-center the wheel is mounted, can cause some serious surface damage.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th March 2022 at 22:11.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 09:13   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Could you please elaborate as why repairs are not advisable? The sanding, filling, polishing etc.
Alloys are designed to take certain loads and stresses. Reputed / OEM’s provide them with a safety factor that is more than double of what they usually have to endure. For instance if the wheel needs 10 threads to be covered by the nut and bolt for full safety, even if the wheel is fixed on a shorter bolt with just 5 threads covered, it will still be safe.

However, with sanding and filing of the edge, it is possible that the edge might crack under load if the work is not done properly.
EV NXT is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks