Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 11:19   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Yoko H/Ts are just like the A/Ts. Only that they are marginally more silent on the road. I would somehow suggest the A/Ts simply because they have proven themselves on the roads again and again.
Old 29th October 2009, 11:33   #287
Team-BHP Support

I knew a few people who put on Yoko ATs and suffered cuts when used in extreme conditions, for example rhandle, and a guy who was a marshal in desert storm(suffered 4 punctures).
Thats why I chose contis as they are supposed to have a tougher sidewall.
I guess for bad roads Yokos are great, but for offroad application with thorns/rocks etc., Continentals may do better as the sidewall bulges out much less than that of Yokos
Old 29th October 2009, 12:23   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I knew a few people who put on Yoko ATs and suffered cuts when used in extreme conditions, for example rhandle, and a guy who was a marshal in desert storm(suffered 4 punctures).
Thats why I chose contis as they are supposed to have a tougher sidewall.
I guess for bad roads Yokos are great, but for offroad application with thorns/rocks etc., Continentals may do better as the sidewall bulges out much less than that of Yokos
That is very true. Also, from what I've learnt(by feeling the tyres), the Continentals are harder in all respects. Even the tread is harder, so the tread will not be cut by sharp rocks, etc. Also, I would expect fewer puncture on the Conti.

But for normal road use, I would say the Yokos are better.
Old 29th October 2009, 13:06   #289
Team-BHP Support

I agree, Yoko ATs are definitely better for normal use as they offer better braking in wet.
Contis are like hard core AT tires.
I have lots of stone marks and chips all over the tires, but no bulges, and no other issues like puncture etc.,
Old 29th October 2009, 13:39   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have lots of stone marks and chips all over the tires, but no bulges, and no other issues like puncture etc.,
IIRC, you also spent some money getting your tyres "Slime"d, right?

No bulges, marks or punctures so far (touch wood) on my Yoko AT/S either, 20k kms old including a Ladakh trip - and No Slime!
Old 29th October 2009, 13:44   #291
Team-BHP Support

Slime will not help at all against rocks, only against nails and thorns.
Moreover, my ladakh routes had much much tougher trails(I bent the foot guards on rocks, damaged by bullbar slightly, and totally bent the radiator sump guard).

For standard use, your Yokos are better. A softer compound will ensure better braking and handling. Infact I remember having a conversation with you about braking in wet, and on tarmac, where your tires are better than mine!

I guess a very hard AT tire will not have the on road manners of the Yoko AT tire which has softer rubber.

After ladakh I also did a detailed visual inspection to find any nails and thorns, thankfully nothing. Just hit marks from stones on the sidewalls(Padum and Kyun Tso trails, and spangmik attempt being main culprits, apart from the horrendous Marismik La trail)
Old 29th October 2009, 13:46   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Slime will not help at all against rocks, only against nails and thorns.
That is what I was referring to - the Slime will help against punctures.....
Old 29th October 2009, 13:47   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
No bulges, marks or punctures so far (touch wood) on my Yoko AT/S either, 20k kms old including a Ladakh trip - and No Slime!
Maybe Im wrong here but I dont think TSK treats his safari like a 'ghar ki bahu' like you do. His travelogues point at quite some terrible usage, which was not very evident in your Ladakh trip.

On a comparitive note, at 36k kms, my Factory Bridgestone HT's have held quite well too with a lot of offroading. Lots of marks but no cuts on the sidewalls yet. But the offroad grip is nothing to write home about.
Old 29th October 2009, 13:50   #294
Senior - BHPian

What is the opinion on Michelin LTX AT2's!!! They are sligtly expensive than BF AT's, but does anyone has any experience with on road use!!!
Old 29th October 2009, 13:59   #295
Team-BHP Support

Talk to Sudev, he uses LTX2 on his GV
I almost went for LTX, but the price kept me away!
BFG All terrain was my first choice, but unfortunately only long trail ta tour is available now, no TA KO AT
Old 29th October 2009, 14:11   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Maybe Im wrong here but I dont think TSK treats his safari like a 'ghar ki bahu' like you do.
You're absolutely correct Jay. If using a vehicle as a daily ride of 100 kms & an occasional outstation trip is like treating it as a "Ghar ka Bahu", I'm totally guilty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
His travelogues point at quite some terrible usage, which was not very evident in your Ladakh trip.
And you're right again - I'm bad at stopping & taking pics of roads, rocks, snow walls & stones when on a trip. Besides, Ladakh at the end of May, beginning of June is a cakewalk - beautiful black tarmac tops, no stones, no rocks, no slush, no ice, no mud, heck, nothing!

And by the way, in case you haven't got the reference of 20k kms, it was in comparison to the Contis that Tanveer fit a while back, before his Leh trip. My original Stones had lasted a little over 50k IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
What is the opinion on Michelin LTX AT2's!!! They are sligtly expensive than BF AT's, but does anyone has any experience with on road use!!!
I think Suresh (Happywheels) has them on his truck - you could PM him as well.

Last edited by suman : 29th October 2009 at 14:17.
Old 29th October 2009, 14:16   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
I fitted Yokohama A/T on my TCIC few months back and they are pretty good. Worth considering. Not sure about the Yoko H/T? Haven't seen/heard about them either.
Check my post for a pictorial comparison between the two..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1501672-post281.html
Old 29th October 2009, 14:23   #298
Team-BHP Support

My tire story is much more tragic.
With my truck barely a year old, one of the Bridgestone HTs blew up on the highway.
Then on an OTR another developed a bulge.
I replaced both with JK Elanzas, and around that time, tie rods got changed(but no alignment was done).
So I lost the rear two bridgestones to uneven wear.

When I went in for new tires, it was discovered that my Elanzos had cracks on the inside(main tread). They were a high speed disaster waiting to happen.

So that that point(20,000kms) I decided to get the toughest tires I could find. Hence the Contis. They are hard core offroad tires, and are not as good as the Yokos on roads.

For the record with 20,000kms on the odo, my safari had eaten up 6 tires.
Thankfully, she has taken a liking to the Contis, and has spared them.

Now you understand why she is called the white elephant
Old 29th October 2009, 15:12   #299
AVR
BHPian

Thinking aloud...

Hi everybody,

Not sure if I am digressing but the intent of this thread is for someone to be able to have an informed decision and hopefully a recommendation when it comes to Safari tyres (also applicable to other threads). While a discussion can go on forever, Wouldn't it help that at a certain point in time, we reach a conclusion (of sorts) and spell it out for people who just want a recommendation. (The bell curve of the efficiency of discussion )

From what I read I think we all are on to fair conclusion that for the Safari (TCIC/Dicor) the usual suspects are:
1) Yokohama A/T
2) Michelin LTX

Just a thought. let me know what you guys think.
Of course I personally love discussing this and could do it forever but just thought that for those who would rather just want an answer from our gang of experts we could spell it out

Cheers,
Adi
Old 29th October 2009, 15:18   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
From what I read I think we all are on to fair conclusion that for the Safari (TCIC/Dicor) the usual suspects are:
1) Yokohama A/T
2) Michelin LTX
LOL, well said Adi!

I think the TCIC comes with 15 inchers whereas the Dicors come in 16. For the 15 inchers, we also have Dueller A/Ts (which are presently not available in 16 inchers) - not sure if ACM currently has A/Ts or the H/Ts though.

Last edited by suman : 29th October 2009 at 15:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks