Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2013, 21:56   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
it is a problem seen in the Stormes, I agree, unidirectional tyres cannot cause the pull, but Condor and a few others faced this issue and the tyres were latitude cross .
We said unidirectional instead of asymmetric

The Storme pulled even when:
1. After doing a Road Force balancing & using a combination where the bias was to the right

2. Rotation of the tyres (after RF balancing)

Hence, the tyres should technically be taken out of the likely causes of the pulling issue.

Coming to Stormes shod with Latitudes, what if we change the perspective and explore the possibility that the Latitudes helped bring out the problem ? May be the Latitudes were more refined than the OE BS Dueller's and hence did not mask the problem like the Duellers did.

Possible ?

During trouble shooting, I have driven a VX with OE alloys & Latitudes - and that vehicle stayed true to it's line of travel.
Old 30th August 2013, 22:05   #722
BHPian

I have been using michelins for the last 6 months on my Storme and have not faced any problems yet. I do get the occasional vibrations on the steering at 3 digit speeds but nothing alarming.
Old 1st September 2013, 15:55   #723
BHPian

Dear All,
So overall we all agree to the fact that the tyres are not the reason for the pull. So what exactly is it? Has anyone able to sort this out? What is the ASC's take on this?

Water seeking inside and now the car pulling. The Storme seems to be storming in the wrong direction.
Old 1st September 2013, 16:50   #724
BHPian

Decided to replace OEM bridgestones as the ride became so hard and i was not that confident to drive in tripple digits as before. It has served me well for the part 5 years and ran about 60k kms. I wanted a hard tire with good highway performace especially on wet roads for my usual Kerala-Bangalore drive.

The following were considered as a replacement,
1. Yoko A/T - 235/70/16 - 7.5K
2. Michelin Latitude Cross/ LTX - 235/70/16
3. MRF Wanderer A/T - 235/70/16 - 6.9K
4. Hankook Dynapro - 235/70/16 -6.8k
5. CEAT Czar A/T - 245/70/16 -6.5k
6. BFG Long Trail - 235/70/16 - 7.1K

Yoko
it was the default choice but i was a little skeptical about the soft sidewall after reading many reviews. Just before going for the purchase I received a call from my friend who had put yoko in his safari last month asking to come and check his tire. He got a sidewall cut and the tire was comletely flat. It was only driven on highway and never been abused, not even a single scratch on the sidewall otherthan the puncture. RULED OUT

Michelin
LTX A/T2 was not avialable in the market even though it is listed in their site which was confirmed by the customer care as well. Was not that keen on the Latitude cross because of the low life. RULED OUT.

MRF Wanderer
Tough tire and looks mighty, but got mixed reviews about the highway grip and road noise. PUT ON HOLD

Hankook Dynapro
Got very nice reviews online and was very much interested on these as it is the only tire with white lettering available for safari. Looks lovely, but only highway tire was available, i wanted A/T. The tread was so shallow and I was not sure how it was going to perform our non-existant roads. So RULED OUT

CEAT CZAR
Came to know about this from the Scorpio thread. 245 was available at a very competitive price, but no reviews available. Looks good and wider.

BFG
Good reviews for the A/T tire but not so good opinion about the Long Trail. Long gone from the market and only 2010 make was available. Decided agaist it considering the age.

Didn't consider Bridgestones as I was not confident about their wet grip(past experiences). Continental was also ruled out as i didnt want a hard core AT tire.

Finally decided to take chance on CEAT as it was avialble for 6.5k per tire and on top of that they were 245. No modifications were required to fit them, not touching the mudflaps on full turn. Initial impression is good even though I didnt take it for long drives for a detailed review. Medium hard tires and not much noise as well, better than Bridgestones but ride was not so soft as Yokos.

Got 850/tire for my old Bridgestones, so the total bill was 22500/- for 4 tires including balancing and alignment.
LionX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2013, 18:06   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Hi Sunit, congrats on the Storme,
The OE alloys are pretty good if you like the design, coming to tyres, if its only for good roads, Latitude cross is perfect, I personally have Continental Cross Contact as I need rugged AT tyres for my kind of usage.
But, recently there have been issues in Stormes shod with Michelin Latitude cross, the vehicle pulls to one side is the most common complaint, its still not clear why ( one theory could be the unidirectional tread) the same Stormes shod with OE tyres did not have the issue. Kindly check with Condor about the Michelins before you make the change.
Hi Luke, thanks for your reply..I didn't liked the looks of current stock alloys, check with dealer if they have aria styled alloys for storme, but no.

If i install alloys from outside, will it void warranty or tata guys create fuss in handling any issue related to alignment etc.

My driving is mostly highway & village road (office in SEZ Jaipur), have to go through pretty rough roads with big poholes etc. so which tyre would be best.

Thanks,
Sunit.
Old 1st September 2013, 18:52   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit5 View Post

Hi Luke, thanks for your reply..I didn't liked the looks of current stock alloys, check with dealer if they have aria styled alloys for storme, but no.

If i install alloys from outside, will it void warranty or tata guys create fuss in handling any issue related to alignment etc.

My driving is mostly highway & village road (office in SEZ Jaipur), have to go through pretty rough roads with big poholes etc. so which tyre would be best.

Thanks,
Sunit.
There will not be any warranty issues if the alloys fitted outside are having the same specifications as the OE ones. For your tyre, I suggest Conti Cross Contact, I've done some 8k Kms on these now and am happy with the performance both on as well as off road and in dry as well as wet conditions.
Old 9th October 2013, 16:50   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Got 850/tire for my old Bridgestones, so the total bill was 22500/- for 4 tires including balancing and alignment.
Nice info posted. Do share where did you change your tyres from? How is the overall performance with ceat. Me too due for a shoe change, had a scary experience last week with a side skid. Duellers are giving good life, but not good on wet roads..Thx..
Old 9th October 2013, 17:09   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Nice info posted. Do share where did you change your tyres from? How is the overall performance with ceat. Me too due for a shoe change, had a scary experience last week with a side skid. Duellers are giving good life, but not good on wet roads..Thx..
I got it from JC road, don't remember exact name of the shop but its almost at the end of Arumugam Mudaliar Road.

I would rate Ceat much higher than BS any day. I have completed more than 3K KMs with Ceat including long highway trips which includes some really bad Kerala-Bangalore highways. The tires seems to hold well both on dry and wet roads with minimal road noise. I would definitely recommend these as per my experience till now .
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 17:15   #729
BHPian

Quote:
I got it from JC road, don't remember exact name of the shop but its almost at the end of Arumugam Mudaliar Road.

I would rate Ceat much higher than BS any day. I have completed more than 3K KMs with Ceat including long highway trips which includes some really bad Kerala-Bangalore highways. The tires seems to hold well both on dry and wet roads with minimal road noise. I would definitely recommend these as per my experience till now .
Thanks for the info. I just checked CEAT website and they dont list this tyre for Safari..Hope it is R16.
Old 9th October 2013, 17:31   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Thanks for the info. I just checked CEAT website and they dont list this tyre for Safari..Hope it is R16.
Their site is useless, doesn't even list the CZAR range. Both 235/70R16 and 245/70/R16 is available. I opted for 245.
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 11:14   #731

Does a wider tyre amount to external modification from a legal standpoint. I am using Yoko 255 R 16 on my Safari Dicor 2.2 instead of the stock tyres. I was stopped by a policeman in Chandigarh saying that i was in violation of the rulebook as fat tyres are a modification. Is that correct? What are the legally permissible limits for tyres width upgrade?
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:28   #732
BHPian

Snapdeal is running some promo for sometime now.
Saw this Hawkz at Rs.4390 a piece and additional 10% discount

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/apol...550391?pos=0;6
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:50   #733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandeep View Post
Does a wider tyre amount to external modification from a legal standpoint. I am using Yoko 255 R 16 on my Safari Dicor 2.2 instead of the stock tyres. I was stopped by a policeman in Chandigarh saying that i was in violation of the rulebook as fat tyres are a modification. Is that correct? What are the legally permissible limits for tyres width upgrade?
Nonsense;every second SUV in chandigarh runs on Upsized tires.
You were stopped because you were probably running an AP registration,and the Cop was not able to find any other reason to extort money,hence took up the issue with tires.
Old 25th March 2014, 10:48   #734

Quote:
Decided to replace OEM bridgestones as the ride became so hard and i was not that confident to drive in tripple digits as before. It has served me well for the part 5 years and ran about 60k kms. I wanted a hard tire with good highway performace especially on wet roads for my usual Kerala-Bangalore drive.

The following were considered as a replacement,
1. Yoko A/T - 235/70/16 - 7.5K
2. Michelin Latitude Cross/ LTX - 235/70/16
3. MRF Wanderer A/T - 235/70/16 - 6.9K
4. Hankook Dynapro - 235/70/16 -6.8k
5. CEAT Czar A/T - 245/70/16 -6.5k
6. BFG Long Trail - 235/70/16 - 7.1K

Yoko
it was the default choice but i was a little skeptical about the soft sidewall after reading many reviews. Just before going for the purchase I received a call from my friend who had put yoko in his safari last month asking to come and check his tire. He got a sidewall cut and the tire was comletely flat. It was only driven on highway and never been abused, not even a single scratch on the sidewall otherthan the puncture. RULED OUT

Michelin
LTX A/T2 was not avialable in the market even though it is listed in their site which was confirmed by the customer care as well. Was not that keen on the Latitude cross because of the low life. RULED OUT.

MRF Wanderer
Tough tire and looks mighty, but got mixed reviews about the highway grip and road noise. PUT ON HOLD

Hankook Dynapro
Got very nice reviews online and was very much interested on these as it is the only tire with white lettering available for safari. Looks lovely, but only highway tire was available, i wanted A/T. The tread was so shallow and I was not sure how it was going to perform our non-existant roads. So RULED OUT

CEAT CZAR
Came to know about this from the Scorpio thread. 245 was available at a very competitive price, but no reviews available. Looks good and wider.

BFG
Good reviews for the A/T tire but not so good opinion about the Long Trail. Long gone from the market and only 2010 make was available. Decided agaist it considering the age.

Didn't consider Bridgestones as I was not confident about their wet grip(past experiences). Continental was also ruled out as i didnt want a hard core AT tire.

Finally decided to take chance on CEAT as it was avialble for 6.5k per tire and on top of that they were 245. No modifications were required to fit them, not touching the mudflaps on full turn. Initial impression is good even though I didnt take it for long drives for a detailed review. Medium hard tires and not much noise as well, better than Bridgestones but ride was not so soft as Yokos.

I am also looking to replace the stock tyres with 245/70/16. Can you please let me know if these have been behaving well for you.
1) Do they go in to the well in case of bumps?
2) Are there any alignment/vibration problems? Is the turning radius affected in any way.
3) Can you please share a picture of your ride with the tyres.

Regards
Old 27th March 2014, 21:38   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandeep View Post
I am also looking to replace the stock tyres with 245/70/16. Can you please let me know if these have been behaving well for you.
1) Do they go in to the well in case of bumps?
2) Are there any alignment/vibration problems? Is the turning radius affected in any way.
3) Can you please share a picture of your ride with the tyres.

Regards
I am extremely satisfied with the performance of these tyres till now. They grip much better than BS both on dry and wet surfaces, I am much more confident while doing triple digits now.

I have not noticed any vibrations or alignment problems and the turning radius is just the same.

As requested, they have already completed 4K.

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-p1100277.jpg
LionX is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks