Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 14:34   #496
Team-BHP Support

re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Good choice! They are really really tough. Have used them in the toughest of conditions, on sharp rocks and tough trails. Never let me down!
Old 25th May 2011, 14:51   #497
BHPian

I still haven't been able to upgrade due to various personal reasons and now unavailability of Yokos Geolander ATS. Sai Iyengar (Indiranagar) has promised me and so I am still waiting for them.

@tsk: Saw the Cross Contacts today. The first impression was that it was too hard and would be very difficult for me to drive on the highway (even though I am planning on a leh trip sometime). I am still gunning for Yokos but Michelin LXT AT/2 too doesn't look bad .

In the mean while, I just got this graph which I thought was pretty interesting. Guess, it can be of help to a lot of people here:

Consumer Survey Results By Category

Tejas
Old 25th May 2011, 14:59   #498
Team-BHP Support

I have done extended highway trips (eg Delhi Ahmadabad and beyond) and high speed driving, and they are pretty okay.
Old 25th May 2011, 15:46   #499
BHPian

It surely looks like it can withstand 70 - 80k easily. Too damn expensive: 7700 for one! Yokos are 6700 per piece.
Old 30th May 2011, 18:53   #500
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

bantejas on Indian roads using an SUV tyre for 70-80 k would not be advisable. Also a tyre should not be used beyound 4 years for sure, and preferable changed every 3 years as it hardens with time and looses its properties. Incase of Safari tyres yes thread would still be there even after 60 k kms if one keeps doing the allignment on time but unless one is a taxi operator the fun of driving on these tyres would be lost at max at 60 k kms across all the options that are avaialble, for some brand versions even at 45k kms. A taxi operator normally does a lot of highway driving and they do not push the vehicles too hard so it is stil ok for their kind of usage to take the tyres further, besides it is a business for them and safety somehow is not parmount in their business plans.
Old 31st May 2011, 16:09   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
bantejas on Indian roads using an SUV tyre for 70-80 k would not be advisable. Also a tyre should not be used beyound 4 years for sure, and preferable changed every 3 years as it hardens with time and looses its properties. Incase of Safari tyres yes thread would still be there even after 60 k kms if one keeps doing the allignment on time but unless one is a taxi operator the fun of driving on these tyres would be lost at max at 60 k kms across all the options that are avaialble, for some brand versions even at 45k kms. A taxi operator normally does a lot of highway driving and they do not push the vehicles too hard so it is stil ok for their kind of usage to take the tyres further, besides it is a business for them and safety somehow is not parmount in their business plans.
I have seen some people running their cars on a 70k old tyres and I was like . The tread pattern of contis looked too rugged and thought that may be this cud last for atleast 60k.

Anyways, I got myself the Yokos and the initial impressions is pretty good. i can't predict anything as of now. Though I got the tyres rotated every 10k, but still only 10% if the treads remained with odo at 40k. The guy asked me to drive for 5k more, but I had already made my mind because of it skiddish nature.

I hope that the yokos would last me a little longer :-).

Thanks a ton guys! Will probably write up after a few thousand kms (I am pretty bad at writing though).

Tejas
Old 31st May 2011, 16:16   #502
Senior - BHPian

Well in most of the places I have noticed people say 6 years from date of manufacture and not 4.
Old 4th June 2011, 18:42   #503
Senior - BHPian

A little update on the continentals cross contacts on my Safari. They are now 3000 odd kms old.

1) They are good highway tyres.

2) The grip levels are at a couple of levels above than, those provided by Bridgestone Deuler HT. The grip on wet roads is especially an improvement for me.

3) The best point about the tyres and something that is total paisa vasool for me is the grip levels provided while driving in slush. I just did a 400 km road trip to rural Himachal Pradesh, while it was raining cats and dogs. Almost every time I have got stuck in the hills if slush is encountered. This was my first trip that I did not get stuck in slush and believe me the slush encountered was bad.

I give the whole credit to the tyres. Amazing difference they have made.

4) But, after all the praises I had heaped on the tyres, the one on the rear of the driver side got cut while I was reversing. I was reversing on a rather steep and tight slope, and a momentary lapse in concentration later, the rear tyre hit a protruding rock on the driver side of the road. I didn't realise then that it could have cut the side of the tyre. Later when I was passing through the car, saw a small white colour rubber piece coming out from the tyre. So, probably the sidewall of the trye is comparatively soft. Because I still dont think that the impact was so hard as to cut the tyre. The tyre dealer says, its not much of a deal and has put elfy on the cut.

My question is it safe to ride on this tyre. Will putting elfy on the tyre work?
Old 4th June 2011, 20:26   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
4) But, after all the praises I had heaped on the tyres, the one on the rear of the driver side got cut while I was reversing. I was reversing on a rather steep and tight slope, and a momentary lapse in concentration later, the rear tyre hit a protruding rock on the driver side of the road. I didn't realise then that it could have cut the side of the tyre. Later when I was passing through the car, saw a small white colour rubber piece coming out from the tyre. So, probably the sidewall of the trye is comparatively soft. Because I still dont think that the impact was so hard as to cut the tyre. The tyre dealer says, its not much of a deal and has put elfy on the cut.

My question is it safe to ride on this tyre. Will putting elfy on the tyre work?
Sidewall repair is not recommended as the tire flexes a lot during driving and is dangerous to drive with a sidewall repaired tyre. Get it replaced.
Old 6th June 2011, 15:36   #505
BHPian

Had been to Chennai this weekend and I must say that I was some how not comfortable at high speeds at all! I feel that the Bridgestone HTs were better off for me. Braking was decent at times, but sometimes the truck was swaying a lot! Will be traveling a lot in the near future, will have a consolidated review at the end of it.

Tejas
Old 15th June 2011, 19:34   #506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post

Did the tyre deflate? Sometimes it is just the outside rubber which is damaged. If you can post a pic, it will be easier for us to let you know what you should do.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 09:49   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Did the tyre deflate? Sometimes it is just the outside rubber which is damaged. If you can post a pic, it will be easier for us to let you know what you should do.
The tyre did not deflate. I drove down on the same tyre from Shimla to Jalandhar - about 280 - 300kms.

And now the tyre is used as the spare tyre. But still has not deflated.
I have attached two pictures of the tyre

The other thing I have noticed about Conti's is that the outer layer of the tyre is really soft. Yesterday night, something scrubbed against the driver side tyre and again a tiny small white patch is visible. This time though its not a cut just a scrub.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-17062011.jpg  

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-17062011001.jpg  

Old 18th June 2011, 09:55   #508
Senior - BHPian

rrsteer quite a risky thing to drive with a sidewall damaged on a tire. It can be repaired, however not recommended.Get it patched up and use it only as the spare when in need. The yoko's that ways have stronger sidewalls.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 10:49   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
rrsteer quite a risky thing to drive with a sidewall damaged on a tire. It can be repaired, however not recommended.Get it patched up and use it only as the spare when in need. The yoko's that ways have stronger sidewalls.
I had no choice then but to ride on them. Though, I stopped regularly to monitor the tyres. The other thing is that as Nikhilb2008 suggested, I think its the outside rubber which is damaged.
Old 30th June 2011, 09:24   #510
Senior - BHPian

From Sam's fb post : 'Geo 235/70/16 for 6900 each.'

I will be buying one or two soon since one tyre blew when bro was taking a turn and hit a sharp stone.

Should I try HTS? And how good is the MRF one?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-yoko.jpg  

Last edited by jkdas : 30th June 2011 at 09:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks