Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2011, 09:47   #511
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

jk havent had any experiences with MRF and no idea how good the Wanderers are. Yoko's are good and get it changed pronto (LOL am being biased here). That said I have been running on the Yoko's for the last 20k plus clicks and yet to hit a flat tire.Only gripe that I faced with these were the aquaplaning, but then they are any-day better than the stock BS HT's.

Why dont you take a look at the BFG's ?The look butch !!
Old 30th June 2011, 10:52   #512
Senior - BHPian

Ditto same situation happened to my brand new Geo. Hit a stone or something and the entire tire ruptured.
Was debating between BFG & Yoko.
Got one new Geo ATS for 6500/-. Yoko's as superb.
Old 30th June 2011, 11:08   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
Had been to Chennai this weekend and I must say that I was some how not comfortable at high speeds at all! I feel that the Bridgestone HTs were better off for me. Braking was decent at times, but sometimes the truck was swaying a lot! Will be traveling a lot in the near future, will have a consolidated review at the end of it.

Tejas
Tejas the Bridgestone HT is a road/highway use tire and hence cannot be compared with the Yoko AT which is an all terrain tire. Having said that, the AT really excels when you have to drive thru slush, offroad, rocks, areas with poor traction, sand, etc. I have done about 20k kms on my Yokos.
I find the wet grip better than the Bridgestones especially when I hit a patch of standing water.
Being a softer compound, the ride is also much better than the Bridgestone. When the tire has work beyond 60%, the Bridgestone ride becomes hard and bouncy.
The Yoko has a 11mm tread depth compared to the Bridgestone's 9mm. This also adds to the Yoko's softer ride.
The swaying while braking that you mention hass nothing to do with the tires. It has to do with your wheel balance, alignment and correct brake distribution, crosswinds, vehicle load, angle at which brakes are hit etc. If you are experiencing swaying while braking hard in a straight line, then you need to have your alignment, balancing, brakes and tie rods checked.
The best test is to find an open stretch of road, drive to 100/120kph and stand on the brakes(full hard braking, no pulsing) Make sure you have your hands on the wheel and be aware of all that you feel when you do this. It will help you diagnose the problem.
Old 30th June 2011, 11:22   #514
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
The tyre did not deflate. I drove down on the same tyre from Shimla to Jalandhar - about 280 - 300kms.

And now the tyre is used as the spare tyre. But still has not deflated.
I have attached two pictures of the tyre

The other thing I have noticed about Conti's is that the outer layer of the tyre is really soft. Yesterday night, something scrubbed against the driver side tyre and again a tiny small white patch is visible. This time though its not a cut just a scrub.
Your sidewall is not damaged. When sidewall damages(i.e. internal belt gets cut), you get a bulge. You just have superficial rubber damage. This just acts as an external jacket.
I have same issue on one tire, and it ran fine for quite some time. Later a big bolt pierced the main tread, and I use it as stepany.
Sharp rocks will damage the toughest tires.
my HTs got hit by stone and developed bulges.
After so much rocky road driving, the contis are free from bulges.
Of course there are minor nicks and cuts all over.
One tire also has a missing rubber "tread block", but going on file
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 14:32   #515
Senior - BHPian

First puncture on the Yoko Geo A/Ts at 104,222 this morning - that makes it over 50k kms; small nail on the front right tyre was making it lose air, got it fixed.

The tyres are tough, no doubt about that! And the tread is pretty good still
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:01   #516

I've crawled through this thread for about an hour now but im still confused!!

My safari 3.0 has just turned 4 and clocked 65k on the odo. Though theres still life left in my current hankooks i agree with what ACM mentioned on the fact that the compound hardens over time and I've had some scary moments recently with the wheels locking up on moderate braking!!

My typical annual usage includes mostly city driving (delhi roads are great) but also a couple of trips upto dalhousie on the brilliant punjab state highways where many miles are crunched at the 3.0's limited top speed of 150. There are also the trips to rishikesh or corbett where the pot-holed dirt-tracks they call UP highways take a huge toll on the tyres every few months. Ive never been cautious of road surfaces during my day to day driving - its a truck and i know what kind of surfaces i can conquer with ease. Im also planning a road trip all the way to leh and back in the next few months.

Now heres the catch, I dont plan to keep my truck for more that a year, max 1.5 years - so longivity is not at the top of my list.

Im not on stock rims and have wider aftermarket alloys so have been running on 255/65R16's with no issues of them hitting the wheel wells at all from day one.

I've shortlisted the following:
Yoko Geolandar AT/S
MRF Wanderer AT
Michelin Latitude Cross

I havent been to a tyre shop yet but have heard the Michelins are priced over 11k a pop!! brilliant tyres yes, but for a new car maybe - not my ageing beast that might be replaced soon.
The Geo AT's are approx 8.5k. Now as per JAY he mentioned 6.5k just TWO days ago. Im totally confused now.
MRF's ive never seen on any of my friends trucks though the tread looks good and im sure well suited to indian road conditions. Pricing im expecting to be a lot lower than the other imports.

There are 2 more tyres that have entered the list and have caused further confusion. TSK's Conti crosscontact and maxxis bravo. Im also not aware if the Conti's are available in 255 since anything smaller will appear odd on my alloys. Plus have heard Maxxis are soft compound and have very few miles in them.

Would appreciate any help/advice from you guys on what to buy.
Cheers!

PS: ruled out BFG as they're not available here in anything over 235
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:21   #517
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a no-brainer to me - the Yoko Geo AT/S, given your usage & the type of roads you have mentioned

Last edited by suman : 2nd July 2011 at 19:23.
Old 3rd July 2011, 17:53   #518

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Looks like a no-brainer to me - the Yoko Geo AT/S, given your usage & the type of roads you have mentioned
Yoko's are what I'm inclined towards at the moment. I figured the price difference was because 235s are priced around 6800 but the larger 255s are more expensive.
Does anyone here have feedback on maxxis - either bravo or marauder? Also do the conti crosscontacts come in 255?
Are there any other good tyre guys in Delhi apart from BS tyres in lajpat or Rama in karol bagh?
Old 17th August 2011, 11:48   #519
BHPian

Mine is running on Michellin LTX AT2 for about 55000 kilometers. The stated life of these tyres are 50000 (dealer speak).
Now the tyres look fine to the eyes. I feel the grip on wet road has reduced a little this monsoon, but I am not very sure of the feeling.
Current State of the tyres -
Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-t1.jpg Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-t2.jpg

I have a trip coming up to the mountains, should I change my tyres?
These tyres have given exceptional service so far.

And also, Yoko Geolanders, are they good at 120-130 straight or slight curve roads?
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:34   #520
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Would still suggest you change the tyres though they look good. You should feel and immediate improvement in grip with the newer tyres even if of the same brand and model / type.

50,000 kms is good enough life for SUV tyres in India and these are definately due for a change soon.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:26   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Would still suggest you change the tyres though they look good. You should feel and immediate improvement in grip with the newer tyres even if of the same brand and model / type.

50,000 kms is good enough life for SUV tyres in India and these are definately due for a change soon.
Went and changed the tyres.
Good tyres are must in rains..
The Michellin LTX At2 costed me 7650 a piece and on four tyres he gave me 2100 back. And gave a nice laptop bag, with that michellin fat tyre guy printed on it. Is this a okay deal?

Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:31   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
The Michellin LTX At2 costed me 7650 a piece and on four tyres he gave me 2100 back. And gave a nice laptop bag, with that michellin fat tyre guy printed on it. Is this a okay deal?
These days you buy tires freebies are a part of the deal thrown in by the manufacturers/distributors. What size tires did you pick up ? At 7 grand INR looks like the Michellins are expensive than the BFG's/Geolanders.
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:53   #523
Senior - BHPian

Michelins have always been more expensive than Yokos or BFGs, 7650 per tyre seems a tad high, but I heard the prices have gone up again recently, what is the month of manufacture of these tyres?
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:12   #524
BHPian

Size is 235/70 R16.
I need to check the mfg date..
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:15   #525
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Went and changed the tyres.
Good tyres are must in rains..

Thanks

Sounds fine overall for AT2, with the goodies.

Michellins are always more expensive compared to Yokos which area also good, had the AT Mich for my safari.

These would be more comfortable and give a better ride. (Softer).
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed