Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2014, 11:00   #736
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Guys,

Need a quick suggestion. My safari is a low runner, have clocked little less than 30k in last 5+ years. In another 5 years, if I continue to retain it, it will not go beyond another 30k or so., One of the OEM Bridgestone Duelers (was using as spare) has a big (not deep, no bulging) sidewall crack and a puncture which I fixed, but still scared to use on highways. Another one has a smallish side wall split, otherwise, treads on all 5 tires look good for another 30k. Now all tires are Sep/Oct 2008 manufactured, so nearing 6 years. I was thinking to replace a pair (or may be 4 of them if I get a good deal on old ones) to begin with.

With my kind of usage what tires do you recommend? I am leaning towards Yoko A/T or MRF Wanderers. Note: mine is 4x4 and a Ladkah trip is long due, but, I don't want a big dent on wallet.

Tia,
-BJ
bj96 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 15:00   #737
Senior - BHPian

If you are happy with Bridgestone just buy 2 of them. If side wall cut is superficial and does not show bulge you can live with it IMHO. May be un-mounting the tyre and getting it checked will help.

I am also in a similar situation Bridgestone Dullers D689 have done 63K and still look good planning to replace them after 5K or a long trip whatever comes first. Ceat Czar AT 245/70/16 recommended by LionX here seems to be a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Guys,

Need a quick suggestion. My safari is a low runner, have clocked little less than 30k in last 5+ years. In another 5 years, if I continue to retain it, it will not go beyond another 30k or so., One of the OEM Bridgestone Duelers (was using as spare) has a big (not deep, no bulging) sidewall crack and a puncture which I fixed, but still scared to use on highways. Another one has a smallish side wall split, otherwise, treads on all 5 tires look good for another 30k. Now all tires are Sep/Oct 2008 manufactured, so nearing 6 years. I was thinking to replace a pair (or may be 4 of them if I get a good deal on old ones) to begin with.

With my kind of usage what tires do you recommend? I am leaning towards Yoko A/T or MRF Wanderers. Note: mine is 4x4 and a Ladkah trip is long due, but, I don't want a big dent on wallet.

Tia,
-BJ
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 18:38   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
If you are happy with Bridgestone just buy 2 of them.... Ceat Czar AT 245/70/16 recommended by LionX here seems to be a good option...
Thanks Amit. I have a grudge against Bridgestone. This tyre got the sidewall cut in first few thousand Kms itself when my Safari was not even a year old. The same cut has increased over a period of time. Bridgestone customer care then had blamed me... ever since I have decided against paying for Bridgestone again.

However, Ceat CZar looks an option worth considering.
-BJ
Old 6th June 2014, 11:00   #739
BHPian

Any Feedback about Apollo Aptera H/T
Old 7th June 2014, 17:08   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
...all tires are Sep/Oct 2008 manufactured, so nearing 6 years. I was thinking to replace ... Ladkah trip is long due...
Ok, went shopping today. A bit of impulse and some bulge in the wallet due to recent appreciation of PSU Stocks (), ended up gifting four German shoes to the old boy. It is not his fault after all, if he can't roam around much due to his master's occupation.

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20140607_160321.jpg

It was love at first sight with the German treads.

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20140607_154630.jpg

Old shoes fetched 2.5k and balancing, alignment was free from Darshan Tyres . However, I noticed those boys were struggling to clamp the wheel alignment sensor after fitment on OE alloys and had to reduce some nitrogen to squeeze the clamps. Probably new tyres have a little more offset around rims than Duellers.

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20140607_160227.jpg

Initial ride back home appeared sweet. Thanks to the members, especially TSK and others who have posted their reviews on the forum. It was easy to decide.

Cheers,
-BJ
bj96 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 20:48   #741
Senior - BHPian

Anyone driving with Maxxis 255/65R16 AT tyres on Safari ?
Is there any official dealer / warranty on Maxxis or kind of grey market stuff ?

OK I understand 255 is unwarranted and will put pressure on PS but I am just asking feedback about the tyres themselves keeping these issues aside.

I have few thousand KM more before I replace by Bridgestone Dullers so I think I can afford to indulge in seeking feedback on less talked about options here.
Old 26th July 2014, 20:03   #742
BHPian

Hello All,
Read this thread with lot of interest. Time has come for 1st change of tyres for my Safari 2.2 LX, August 2009 model. OE BS Dueller 689 HT did well, I'd say. 67K completed, but, now they are not fit for long drive, partly my faults too (Late and inadequate rotations, poor driving on corners). Though, no long drives are planned due to other pre-occupations....and these days I have reducced my speed being aware of the poor conditions of the tyre (Not crossing 100 kmph). Need your suggestions on several points:

1. One problem is spare tyre is new !! (yes, used for very few kms as replacement only once)! Yes, my mistake not to include it in rotation. Now what to do with it. Want to save on budget too .

2. Oft repeated popular query: which one to go for?
My requirements are
a. a normal confortable drive with medium noise levels.
b. but more emphasis on long life of the tyre (strong side walls)
c. good ride quality, and
d. stability and handling of vehicle on highways at speeds around 120-130.

Usage will be more highway driving on both good and bad roads and city driving with ocassional trips to hill stations, etc... BUT, no real off-roading.

I am getting following quotes per tyre at Lucknow:
1. MRF Wanderer 6500/-
2. Mitchelin LT Cross 8100/-
3. Apollo Attra 6500/- (Dealer told Appolo Hawkz A/T has been dis-continued by company. It is replaced by Attra in 2014.)
4. Brigstone Dueller 689 AT.... yet to get quote.

Its a no-brainer that Mitchellinn would outscore on ride comfort and noise level points, BUT, to me long life (toughness) of the tyre is equally important for two reasons: 1. I'll also need to drive on rough roads (though NOT the major part), 2. Don't want to change them again soon (at least 65-70K kms as this time I'll follow recommended rotation and other tyre care measures).

Pl. give your opinions. JKD dada, Tanveer bhai, Codor, Luckyluster V&V and all others.

JK das dada, how would rate Wanderers on Noise level and ride comfort points? By looks they look tough, I guess!

And pl. don't forget to tell what to do with my spare tyre?

Thanks

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 26th July 2014 at 20:06.
LongDrive lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 18:16   #743
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Well LDL , i am happy with Michelin LT cross. Done about 30+ and 2.5+ year on all kind of terrain my feedback is they are Less noisy and Grippy. Even i am happy with high speed handling and wet road handling too. Cant comment weather it will last 60k, i prefer the change them usually around 50 - 55kkms. You get a decent tradeoff too.
v&v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 19:27   #744
Senior - BHPian

V&V - am running on Michelin and still going well at 70k kms.
HappyWheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 15:51   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Well LDL , i am happy with Michelin LT cross. Done about 30+ and 2.5+ year on all kind of terrain my feedback is they are Less noisy and Grippy. Even i am happy with high speed handling and wet road handling too. Cant comment weather it will last 60k, i prefer the change them usually around 50 - 55kkms. You get a decent tradeoff too.
Thanks v&V.

How to use the spare tyre is also a problem now. Any thoughts on that!!
Old 28th July 2014, 16:36   #746
Senior - BHPian

LongDriver: Get Wanderers instead of stock Bridgestones. They are not grippy as Yokos which I had ( and currently have 2 but will replace to Wanderers by Wednesday). Wanderers look more sturdy than Yokos and Mich and hence looks VFM for the price.

I can give an update by next week since I will have all 4 on Wanderers by Wednesday.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 18:18   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
LongDriver: Get Wanderers instead of stock Bridgestones. They are not grippy as Yokos which I had ( and currently have 2 but will replace to Wanderers by Wednesday). Wanderers look more sturdy than Yokos and Mich and hence looks VFM for the price.

I can give an update by next week since I will have all 4 on Wanderers by Wednesday.
(me)

Thanks dada.

Pl. also suggest what to do with the spare one?

1. Put it to use as one of the 4 new ones, or (2) Keep it as spare (remember it is almost not used, but 5 yrs old!! so keeping it as spare will not be advisable as it'll prolong its use!!), or (3). sale/exchange this spare BS tyre when going for new ones?

Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 15:14   #748
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
(me)

Thanks dada.

Pl. also suggest what to do with the spare one?

1. Put it to use as one of the 4 new ones, or (2) Keep it as spare (remember it is almost not used, but 5 yrs old!! so keeping it as spare will not be advisable as it'll prolong its use!!), or (3). sale/exchange this spare BS tyre when going for new ones?

Thanks
Exchange it. You get decent exchange price on tires with good tread.
That is the best option.

As for AT tires, go for Apollo or wanderer in 6500 range. Decent enough for the tracks your 2WD will do.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 15:44   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Exchange it. You get decent exchange price on tires with good tread.
That is the best option.

As for AT tires, go for Apollo or wanderer in 6500 range. Decent enough for the tracks your 2WD will do.
Thanks tsk bhai,

You cleared my doubt. I was also thinking that now its prudent to go for 4 new tyres and exchange the spare new one too. After jk dada's encouraging words, your opinion is also in same line. I am inclined towards Wanderer AT. Quotes are 6500-6600/- balancing-alignment extra. Dealers saying they'll give April 2014 or later manufacturing ones.

Mitchelin LC (quote 8550/- not 8100/- I mistakenly wrote earlier) and Yokos geolander (8200/-) are certainly a higher quality in terms of comfort, noise level and grip, but as you said for mine limited use, I think saving on budget looks a wise thing at this point.

Thanks again

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 30th July 2014 at 15:46.
Old 31st July 2014, 09:56   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Thanks tsk bhai,

You cleared my doubt. I was also thinking that now its prudent to go for 4 new tyres and exchange the spare new one too. After jk dada's encouraging words, your opinion is also in same line. I am inclined towards Wanderer AT. Quotes are 6500-6600/- balancing-alignment extra. Dealers saying they'll give April 2014 or later manufacturing ones.

Thanks again
Another twist in the tale. No dealer is ready to exchange the almost 'new' spare BS tyre! They say, we won't be able to sale it, so you yourself use it. And there is no Reliance auto zone here. Today also I'll try....but if no one accepts, then I'll have to put it in use as one of the 4 new tyres. I'll buy 4 new ones, and put all in rotation, but this BS spare one will not go as spare tyre. This will always be in use, only one of the new one would be used as spare.

I hope there won't be any problem in having two brands of tyre in use if all are new?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks