Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2014, 10:58   #751
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Another twist in the tale. No dealer is ready to exchange the almost 'new' spare BS tyre! They say, we won't be able to sale it, so you yourself use it. And there is no Reliance auto zone here. Today also I'll try....but if no one accepts, then I'll have to put it in use as one of the 4 new tyres. I'll buy 4 new ones, and put all in rotation, but this BS spare one will not go as spare tyre. This will always be in use, only one of the new one would be used as spare.

I hope there won't be any problem in having two brands of tyre in use if all are new?
Well you need to realize almost new tyre is lying unused for 5 years so it's nearing end of shelf life so dealers are not buying it. Probably you should also write it off in another year or so.
Old 31st July 2014, 11:23   #752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
LongDriver: Get Wanderers instead of stock Bridgestones. They are not grippy as Yokos which I had ( and currently have 2 but will replace to Wanderers by Wednesday). Wanderers look more sturdy than Yokos and Mich and hence looks VFM for the price.

I can give an update by next week since I will have all 4 on Wanderers by Wednesday.

JK dada,

Did you get 2 more wanderers yesterday?
Old 31st July 2014, 17:56   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Another twist in the tale. No dealer is ready to exchange the almost 'new' spare BS tyre! They say, we won't be able to sale it, so you yourself use it. And there is no Reliance auto zone here. Today also I'll try....but if no one accepts, then I'll have to put it in use as one of the 4 new tyres. I'll buy 4 new ones, and put all in rotation, but this BS spare one will not go as spare tyre. This will always be in use, only one of the new one would be used as spare.

I hope there won't be any problem in having two brands of tyre in use if all are new?
Finally finished this long pending task today. Went for Wanderer AT @ 6500/-+ balancing, alignment extra. Three old tyres went for just 500/-. which went in balancing. They were really in poor condition, due to poor rotation. One of them was reasonably okay. No dealer was willing to exchange spare BS dueller, they said, you use it, but don't keep it as spare. Had no choice, but to put it in use. Wt. used was 140, 105, 80 & 75 gms for 4 tyres (including my BS one). For alignment I am giving it to my regular TASS tomorrow morning that will also include break pad change as well.

Last 2-3 days, I searched a lot about tyres in Lucknow. One fellow was even willing to give Wanderer AT in 5800/- each . he was the lone one who even offered to give 5000/- for my 5 yrs old BS spare tyre!!. All others quoted 6500-6600/-. I didn't go to him as fraudulent cases of spurious tyres are commonly heard at such places. This shop I went for is an exclusive MRF dealer, relatively newly established in outskirts of the city (not in the popular hub of tyre shops where all sorts of tyre activities go on), very near to my office and home, has a very impressive new well equipped set-up for all tyre-related jobs including nitrogen filling. Tyre is 2514 manufactured.

This time, I am not going to repeat the mistake I did last time. Will follow proper rotation and other aspects of tyre care. Infact, I wasn't un-happy with BS tyres as even after such poor care by me they lasted 67.5K kms...had I gone by book in tyre care and also the fact that in earlier yrs my driving was also little harsh for tyres, otherwise, they could have easily gone for 75K kms, I guess!

For feedback on wanderers, you would have to wait. I'll certainly update when enough experience is gathered as these days, it is only city driving.

Thanks all for taking your time in answering my queries.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 31st July 2014 at 17:59.
LongDrive lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 19:48   #754
Senior - BHPian

I am done with testing the Falken Wildpeak Ht on my safari and i must say i am mightily impressed with the tyres. Earlier the stock bridgestones used to aquaplane as soon as the beast used to enter the puddle. The steering used to tilt as per its wish and it was damn scary.
Since then i was searching for Sedan type pattern tyres for the Safari. None of the manufacturers have a sedan type tyre.
Finally i found the Falkens- they are extremely good on cost and VFM. The water easily gets out owing to the sedan type pattern and there is no aquaplaning. The icing on the cake is that the steering feels precise and the body roll is minimized a lot.
Cannot forget to mention that the grip is excellent.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 20:53   #755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One of them was reasonably okay. No dealer was willing to exchange spare BS dueller, they said, you use it, but don't keep it as spare. Had no choice, but to put it in use. Wt. used was 140, 105, 80 & 75 gms for 4 tyres (including my BS one).
@Longdrive Lover, I dont think it is advisable to mix brands / models - and especially tyres with so much age difference. I am surprised that they did not advise you about this.

I suggest you replace the BS with a Wanderer. Once you do that, you can use the BS as a temporary spare, but not a regular spare. For the remaining 4 tyres, please do the rotation / balancing / alignment regularly.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 22:25   #756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
JK dada,

Did you get 2 more wanderers yesterday?
Had some lower arm work for LHS which I could do today only and hence got tyres today ( 12600 for two tyres).
rt
Quote:
Finally finished this long pending task today. Went for Wanderer AT @ 6500/-+ balancing, alignment extra.

equipped set-up for all tyre-related jobs including nitrogen filling. Tyre is 2514 manufactured.

For feedback on wanderers, you would have to wait. I'll certainly update when enough experience is gathered as these days, it is only city driving.

Thanks all for taking your time in answering my queries.
Ha! thats pretty new
I might ride a bit this weekend and hence will update by next.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 11:36   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Longdrive Lover, I dont think it is advisable to mix brands / models - and especially tyres with so much age difference. I am surprised that they did not advise you about this.

I suggest you replace the BS with a Wanderer. Once you do that, you can use the BS as a temporary spare, but not a regular spare. For the remaining 4 tyres, please do the rotation / balancing / alignment regularly.

Thanks Codor. yes, technically, that's the right thing to do. However, as at least for next one year, no long drive is planned, even an out of city run of 200-300 kms is unlikely, it will be just routine city drive within 70-90 kmph speed. So, I'll use this BS tyre for few months if no problem is felt, will also keep a close watch on this specially. And then will replace it early with a wanderer so that the new one can match with these wanderers. As I said running in this year is going to be much below what is expected from a Safari in a year. And yes, I won't forget the lessons learned on rotation, etc.,
Old 1st August 2014, 16:50   #758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. at least for next one year, no long drive is planned, even an out of city run of 200-300 kms is unlikely, it will be just routine city drive within 70-90 kmph speed.
even that is not a good idea. You have 3 good tyres, and 1 hard tyre. I will still suggest to get the 4th Wanderer and be at peace.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 22:46   #759
BHPian

Guys,

Its time to replace the tyres on my Feb 2011 Safari 2.2 which has completed 70k on the ODO on the stock Bridgestones.

A dealer in Delhi has quoted me 42k to replace all the four tyres along with stock rims in exchange for four Silverstone tyres and new alloy wheels (Prestige rims).

I must say, the alloys and the new tyres look great and the deal seems tempting but pardon my ignorance but I haven't heard about Silverstone as a brand! Anyone using them?

Cheers,
Ankit
Old 2nd September 2014, 07:50   #760
BHPian

My friend wants to upsize his Storme tyres. They are 235/70/R16. What should he go for. I am convinced of 255/55/R17. Should he change his rims too. Basically, he is looking at aesthetics or lack of it. He wants his truck to look like one of those monster trucks. Any help
Old 2nd September 2014, 08:07   #761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitwanchoo View Post
A dealer in Delhi has quoted me 42k to replace all the four tyres along with stock rims in exchange for four Silverstone tyres and new alloy wheels (Prestige rims).
Ankit, havent heard of that brand of tyres.
For a tyre-alloy combo, I would expect close to or above 50k.
Old 10th September 2014, 10:43   #762
BHPian

Hi,

Any one has used Goodyear Wrangler HP AW on safari. I am planning to change my stock duellers as it has done 1.05 L kms. A tyre guy near me is quoting 6500 per tyre.

Thanks,
Ajith
Old 17th September 2014, 20:01   #763
BHPian

Query: Best all-terrain tyres for Safari Storme

I am planning to change the stock Bridgestone Dueler H/T tyres with a set of good all-terrain tyres (235/70 R16). Some of the roads I usually drive on become almost off-road track during rainy season. Following are my priorities in order.

1. More than average performance in mud/slush
2. Good breaking on road.
3. Good mileage on road.
4. Low rolling noise.
5. Price

I am considering the following options. Any other suggestion is also welcome.

1. Michelin Latitude Cross
2. Bridgestone Dueler D689
3. Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S
psurelia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 08:51   #764
Team-BHP Support

Re: Query: Best all-terrain tyres for Safari Storme

I believe Storme and the Safari have same tire size. You can post your query here

The Scorpio too has the same tire size, may be a Universal 235/70 R16 thread can be started
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 10:39   #765
Senior - BHPian

Re: Query: Best all-terrain tyres for Safari Storme

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
2. Bridgestone Dueler D689
Isn't the Bridgestone Dueler D689 the same as the stock tyre that comes with the Safari/Storme?

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed