Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2007, 14:55   #1
BHPian

Tata Safari : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Guys,

I’ve taken the plunge and have booked a Tata-Safari LX today. I will get the beast in a week’s time. While I am waiting for the delivery, I have a couple of questions:

How good are stock tires? (Stock Tires are: Bridgestone B389 or Apollo HAWKZ )

I am not into serious offroading, but need tires that have very good grip on tarmac and decent grip on gravel. It would be nice if they are quiet too. I was planning to upgrade to Yokohama-255/65 R 16 (which has almost the same rolling diameter as the stock 235/70 R 16). Any other options/suggestions?

One problem is that the sales guy is saying that he can not guarantee that the warranty will remain intact should there be a problem with the suspension. What is the industry practice? With so many people upgrading their tires as soon as the car rolls out of showroom, I find it hard to believe that all are losing warranty coverage.

In http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ing#post381719
DesertFox wrote: “Solution- Go back to the old (TCIC) Rotors and get yourself the self adjusting rear drums,And a very good set of pads.”
Any ideas where can I get this done in bangalore? And for how much?

Misc Questions:
--------------------
1. I am going for the LX model, assuming the roof-mounted blower and cooling coils can be fitted later if required. If this is not possible, please let me know.

2. Does anyone know why the jump seats in safari don’t have seat-belts? Isn’t it a legal requirement to have seat belts for all seats?

Thanks SUV, DesertFox, Godfather and Steeroid! Your posts have been very informative.

Last edited by Su-47 : 21st March 2007 at 14:57. Reason: Formatted for better readability.
Old 21st March 2007, 15:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

When I checked yesterday, I was getting the Apollo Hawkz All-terrain on the safari, by their tread pattern, they are more suited to offroad use. And bridgestones more towards tarmac.

I've asked the showroom guys to exchange them with the bridgestones. As my car will almost always be on the road.

I think the roof mounted unit can be fitted later on, as many dealers were offering that as an accessory on the LX.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 21st March 2007 at 15:06.
Old 21st March 2007, 15:41   #3
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
When I checked yesterday, I was getting the Apollo Hawkz All-terrain on the safari, by their tread pattern, they are more suited to offroad use. And bridgestones more towards tarmac.

I've asked the showroom guys to exchange them with the bridgestones. As my car will almost always be on the road.

I think the roof mounted unit can be fitted later on, as many dealers were offering that as an accessory on the LX.

Drifter
Instead of changing into Bridgestone why dont u try other brands like Michelin, Pirelli, Yokohama etc... They are worth the price.
Typically you need to go in for a LT Rating for the Safari it will give you better traction and the handling improves to a large extent.

The OE's are "P" rated .... which is OK for City Driving ...
Old 21st March 2007, 15:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
One problem is that the sales guy is saying that he can not guarantee that the warranty will remain intact should there be a problem with the suspension.
Pure Bovine Excreta. Upgrade and fear not!

@ drifter - dont exchange with the OE Bridgestones. Get yourself a set of Yokos which arent very expensive.
Old 21st March 2007, 16:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would also suggest trying brands like Yoko/Michelin/Pirelli rather than going in for Bridgestone's. Most of them are leagues ahead of the stock Bridgestone/Apollo's.
Old 21st March 2007, 16:42   #6
BANNED

Quote:
How good are stock tires? (Stock Tires are: Bridgestone B389 or Apollo HAWKZ )

I am not into serious offroading, but need tires that have very good grip on tarmac and decent grip on gravel. It would be nice if they are quiet too.
Congratulations on your new vehicle.

The stock tires are quite good - my EX came with Bridgestone Duelers. They have good grip on tarmac and more than decent grip on gravel. Provided you are not trying to prove a point on either of these surfaces.

They are not the quietest tires around but are satisfactory if you are not finicky. Even under hard braking from 140 kph, I have not encountered any skidding.
Old 21st March 2007, 16:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Godfather (our bangy member) picked up a Safari LX recently and upgraded to Hankook tires.

Check out his gallery and contact him for details.

Alternatively you could possibly look at BF Goodrich too. AFAIK they are really good although a tad costlier.
Old 21st March 2007, 16:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Pure Bovine Excreta. Upgrade and fear not!

@ drifter - dont exchange with the OE Bridgestones. Get yourself a set of Yokos which arent very expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I would also suggest trying brands like Yoko/Michelin/Pirelli rather than going in for Bridgestone's. Most of them are leagues ahead of the stock Bridgestone/Apollo's.
Dont think any TATA showroom ppl can provide Yokos ,Pirellis or Michelins...It has to be an aftermarket fittment...N for the upgrade Bridgestone tyres will give u better exchange value than the crapy Apollo's ...
I think drifter is getting the Apollo's exchanged for Bridgestone Dueller from the showroom ppl before delivery of his car....
@ drifter- Are u paying extra for that??
Old 21st March 2007, 17:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
...N for the upgrade Bridgestone tyres will give u better exchange value than the crapy Apollo's ...
with that
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
@ drifter- Are u paying extra for that??
I doubt it, they're just switching tyres from some other vehicle that has Bridgestones
Old 21st March 2007, 18:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

No Kpzen im getting it without paying extra. I want to drive on the duellers first, if i think i need more grip, then i'l certainly change.

Drifter
Old 21st March 2007, 18:25   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. Does anyone know why the jump seats in safari don’t have seat-belts? Isn’t it a legal requirement to have seat belts for all seats?
The rule should be for front-facing seats only. I have not seen belts for jump seats on any vehicle so far.
Old 23rd March 2007, 16:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Dicor following seems to be increasing.. Congratulations on your vehicle..Drive safe..

Godfather
Old 23rd March 2007, 17:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Su-47 .. Which dealer have you booked your vehicle from??
If it is Prerana then you will not have any issues with the warranties..Trust me on this.. The owner himself has a Dicor with huge wheels.(Also happens to be one of my close friends). also my car is serviced by Prerana though i bought it from Concorde.

Godfather
Old 23rd March 2007, 17:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

My dealer has messed up the delivery dates....looks like business as usual at Tata.

Drifter
Old 23rd March 2007, 18:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
My dealer has messed up the delivery dates....looks like business as usual at Tata.

Drifter
Is it bcos u asked for Bridgestone tyres?? Of late I'm seeing all new dicors with Apollo HAWKZ....

Most Viewed