Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2007, 11:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
- Sunfilm: Not decided again. Need something in light shade with decent heat-blocking performance. Howz LLumar Platinum?
Check it out on my gallery - I have it on mine.

Quote:
- Rear visibility improvement: Suggestions?? How about a mirror which is mounted on top of the rear glass? I think that it would be helpful to see the rear-bottom of car while reversing..
Dont bother with that mirror. If you can spend money get the rear view camera - I think it costs 14k.
Old 30th March 2007, 13:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Sunfilm: Not decided again. Need something in light shade with decent heat-blocking performance. Howz LLumar Platinum?
Why dont you try out "Tint Mart" opposite LifeStyle.. Its right next to PitStop car accessories showroom.. This place has a wide collection of Tints.. what am i saying..he has only tints.

Godfather
Old 30th March 2007, 18:42   #33
BHPian

Thanks for your suggestions iraghava, steeroid and Godfather!
Old 30th March 2007, 22:59   #34
BHPian

iraghava: This is way way OT, but cant resist asking this: Ye "The Mooh Nochwa is back............" kya hai bhai?
Old 5th April 2007, 11:21   #35
BHPian

Ownership Experience....

I started looking for a vehicle with these parameters in mind: -- Comfortable for 4-5 people. Occasionally accommodate 6-7 people over short distances.
-- Capability to gracefully handle our pothole-ridden roads.
-- Decent fuel economy. Diesel preferred.
-- Budget: 9L (max. 11 L)

Naturally, I looked at Scorpio, Innova and Safari.

Innova: Flawless vehicle, but it just didn’t click. May be it has something to do with slightly poor visibility from driver’s seat or the salesman who brought a customer’s car for test drive. But, it just didn’t click!

Scorpio: Great engine! I really loved the power delivery and responsiveness. But, whats the deal with the new 5-zone cushion suspension? Agreed, the shocks have good cushioning effect, but did they forget to put dampers? And, for a vehicle of this size I was expecting a little more space inside.

Safari: Engine didn’t *feel* as responsive as the Scorpio. But, it rides more gracefully. Driving the safari made me happy, don’t know why. The head said go for Innova, and the heart said Safari. And, once in a while, it is good to listen to your heart. [FONT=Wingdings][/FONT]

I was talking to a salesman in Manipal, and when it came to negotiating the deal, he said he will give me side-steps free, and added 7-8K to the discount figure. I came to know that side-steps are standard even on LX model, and *blatant* cheating puts me off.

So, over to Prerana-Motors. They handled the sales process pretty well:
- Car was delivered on-time. (actually I was late by 30mins, and it was a little embarrassing as I had pushed them so hard for a delivery during daylight hours).
- Came with Bridgestone tyres as promised.

Accessories:
Next weekend, went to the performance-club (on ORR between Sarjapur Road and Marthahalli) to change the tyres to Michelins. Got a pretty decent resale-price for the OE-Bridgestones. Had spoken to the shop-owner earlier, so he kept everything ready and the tyre change was handled in a quick and professional way. They also gave a complimentary tyre-pressure gauge. Would definitely recommend this place!

Moved on to get the sun-film, went to Sprocket. They only had 3M and I didn’t like the shades much, so decided to go to some other place. Big Mistake!

En-route to JC-road, dropped in at Prerana to meet our sales-guy. Thereafter, saw an accessories shop opposite Prerana (Hi-Tec Cars), thought lets get work done here itself. Mea-culpa! Should have heeded to godfather’s recommendation and gone to tint-mart.

Liked Llumar Platinum SR50 film. They didn’t have it in stock, so got it from some other place (1-2 hrs). And, the installation looked very adhoc and amateur (took 2-hrs or so). Next time I buy a car, I will go to a place that is known for good installation, even if it is 25% more expensive.

While I was waiting for the film to arrive, chose the music-system from that place. So went with a HU that I had seen in a friend’s car (Pioneer 2950, I think). Quality of installation: Very unprofessional! I think the installation guys are not employees of any shop in that area. They are like a floating population who come and install stuff wherever they are called.

Ownership Experience:
-- Was a little uncomfortable driving it home from the dealership, but things are slowly getting better.
-- Went for an 80-km drive just to get a feel of the machine. The beast glides over potholes, grips the road well and pulls like a locomotive. One unpleasant event that happened: A trucker reversed at a signal and dented my front fender. Not major, but hurts. Had to let him go as Mom and Wife insisted that I don’t pick up a fight!
-- Driving it in dense traffic is not easy yet! I have to be extra careful “with great weight comes great responsibility” (Yeah! flicked from Spiderman, but notice the improvisation: power -> weight)
-- It’s a pain to stick to 2K rev limit for the run-in period (1800 Kms).

Got a feel of *superb* Tata-quality as the rear-right door jammed, and steering started making cheen-cheen sound. Took it to the workshop, where steering sound was corrected (horn-switch touching something) but the lock problem couldn’t be solved as the required spare wasn’t in stock. Two days later, a mechanic came down to my office and fixed it.

After the 80-km drive, we parked for 10mins and cranked up the engine again. A weird noise surfaced under-the-hood (as if some rotating part is picking up speed and touching something). It lasted for 45-60 secs and went away. It hasn’t resurfaced. Don’t know what could it be? Any suggestions!!

BTW, which diesel do you guys recommend? Is oil-change recommended after first 1000Kms?
Old 5th April 2007, 16:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

If it counts...my accent crdi used to perform better with regular diesel....smoke emissions were less when compared to premium diesel like turbojet, extramile etc.

Either ways these premium diesels are supposed to clear up the muck collected over years of use....don't think they'd be useful in a brand new engine....as for the safari im going to be sticking to regular diesel for the running-in period...then probably put premium on alternate fills. Btw im finally getting delivery tomorrow.

Drifter
Old 5th April 2007, 16:55   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After the 80-km drive, we parked for 10mins and cranked up the engine again. A weird noise surfaced under-the-hood (as if some rotating part is picking up speed and touching something). It lasted for 45-60 secs and went away. It hasn’t resurfaced. Don’t know what could it be? Any suggestions!!
Check your engine belts, might be a lil loose
Old 5th April 2007, 18:52   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
If it counts...my accent crdi used to perform better with regular diesel....smoke emissions were less when compared to premium diesel like turbojet, extramile etc.
I tanked up with Turbojet as the owner's manual mentioned "High-speed Diesel". Will try regular fuel next time, and see if there is difference.
Quote:
Btw im finally getting delivery tomorrow.
Congratulations!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Check your engine belts, might be a lil loose
Yep, will get them checked this saturday.

Thanks,
Su-47
Old 5th April 2007, 19:09   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Btw im finally getting delivery tomorrow.
Drifter
Congrats and happy driving buddy. Please share the photographs of the beast with all of us once its in your possession.

-POGU
Old 5th April 2007, 19:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys, will post a review after the running in.

Drifter
Old 5th April 2007, 20:08   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I tanked up with Turbojet as the owner's manual mentioned "High-speed Diesel".
Regular diesel is called as high speed diesel!!!

Diesel=High speed Diesel
Turbojet/Extramile=High speed diesel with additives
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2007, 21:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Regular diesel is called as high speed diesel!!!

Diesel=High speed Diesel
Turbojet/Extramile=High speed diesel with additives

in pune BP HSD is priced higher than the regular diesel. Is there any difference in that diesel as compared to the normal diesel or it BP's version of diesel with additives.....

On the other hand i found that my dicor runs pretty ok and smokes lesser on normal diet diesel. with a/c figure approx 11.5 in city
Old 6th April 2007, 05:50   #43
BHPian

Congrats, Su-47! I do have a question on the colour. What is the difference between Arctic White and Pearl White?

Is the Pearl White similar to Arctic Frost (metallic white) of Toyota or is it closer to the Cadillac Pearl color? The Cadillac Pearl is too creamy and not great in my opinion.

Are there other tires tubeless available in the same size? I don't like Michelins very much, they tend to be overpriced and wear out quickly based on my experience in the US. What is the temperature/traction/treadwear rating for the stock Bridgestone?

Last edited by THE-U- : 6th April 2007 at 05:52.
Old 6th April 2007, 07:29   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. One unpleasant event that happened: A trucker reversed at a signal and dented my front fender. Not major, but hurts. Had to let him go as Mom and Wife insisted that I don’t pick up a fight!

2. BTW, which diesel do you guys recommend? Is oil-change recommended after first 1000Kms?
Hi Su-47.. First of all let me congratulate you on your Safari..

1. Thats bad that the first day the vehicle had a minor accident.. anyways since the first scratch is over and done with you can drive more comfortably.. also time to get a crash guard..

2. I tank up on Shell Diesel.. Pretty decent.. Why Oil change at 1000km??
Let it run all the way to 5000km...
Happy motoring..

Godfather
Old 6th April 2007, 07:33   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post

1. What is the difference between Arctic White and Pearl White?

Are there other tires tubeless available in the same size? I don't like Michelins very much, they tend to be overpriced and wear out quickly based on my experience in the US.
Arctic white is Pure White.. Where Pearl white has a bit of Creamish color..more on the metallic side..

Yes there are other brands of Tubeless Tires.. I have changes the stock Bridgestones to Hankook Dynamics( see BHP garage for more details).. You can also get tubeless in Bridgestones / Pirelli / Michelin / Hankook / Yokohama

Godfather

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks