Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

View Poll Results: Direct or Indirect TPMS | What do you have?
My vehicle has Direct TPMS, and I find it useful 118 40.00%
My vehicle has Indirect TPMS, and I find it useful 29 9.83%
My vehicle doesn’t have TPMS, but I need it 79 26.78%
My vehicle doesn’t have TPMS, but I can still manage without it 69 23.39%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2022, 14:13   #16
BHPian

Re: Direct vs Indirect TPMS | Which one does your car have?

The alarms for exceeding pre set pressure and temperature thresholds in a vehicle equipped with a direct TPMS system can be life saving at high speeds, specially on cement roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulemanP View Post
Confused a little as to which one should i go for hardwired with a display in cabin or go for the sensors with information displayed in Mobile phone.

Guidance will be helpful

regards
Without a doubt the one with the sensors and in cabin display, make sure it has live pressure and temp for each tyre.

Here’s mine-

Last edited by AJ56 : 9th June 2022 at 14:17.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 16:18   #17
BHPian

Can somebody recommend reliable aftermarket tpms options. Thanks.
Old 9th June 2022, 20:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

I have SensAiry direct TPMS and it is very helpful. I have recently completed a long road trip from Bengaluru to North East and return. In my two months long trip, I had to top up air only once due to drop in temperature in Assam.

During return trip, in one of the hotels after parking I saw number of nails in the parking area. Next morning before leaving, I checked TPMS and did not see any pressure difference, then kept on monitoring TPMS for next few hours. While I did not have any problem because of those nails in the parking area, having the TPMS showing tyre pressure in real time was very reassuring during the drive.

I have a phone dedicated only for SensAiry TPMS.
Attached Thumbnails
Direct vs Indirect TPMS | Which one does your car have?-art-102.jpg  

airbus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 21:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I have SensAiry direct TPMS and it is very helpful. I have recently completed a long road trip from Bengaluru to North East and return. In my two months long trip, I had to top up air only once due to drop in temperature in Assam.

I have a phone dedicated only for SensAiry TPMS.
Hey, I have done some web research on the Sensairy product. A few questions :

- once the internal tpms is installed, now does one map the specific sensor to the position like front-left/right rear left/right, and spare? Further, once the tyres are rotated during service, how to change the mapping again?

- is there a risk of damaging the sensor if driving on slightly lower pressure, upon mild puncture? Usually the tubeless tyres don’t go flat quickly, so is it safe to drive to a nearby tyre shop for repair without damaging the sensor?

- since the tyre guys remove the tyre for puncture repair and use water for testing , is there any risk to sensors during puncture fixing?

- how is the sensor attached to the rim? And can it get detached on its own during usage?

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th June 2022 at 12:00. Reason: Typo
Old 9th June 2022, 23:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

I have been using TPMS for a long time and well as dashcam. I currently have 70 Mai external TPMS on both my cars. The fit and finish is fantastic compared to the chinese aliexpresss ones.
Altocumulus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 05:46   #21
BHPian

I also found out about treel. How is the feedback of treel vs Sensairy tpms in terms of quality and warranty support?
https://treel.in/
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 09:59   #22
BHPian

Have installed Sensairy in my Freestyle and it has already alerted me promptly a couple of times — heck one time on a roadtrip, it started buzzing so I moved to the side near a tyre shop but the guy checked a bit and said all is fine. So continued skeptically (and slowly). But the app was still buzzing so after a couple of kms stopped again and this time, the reduction in tyre pressure was very apparent. Have decided to trust it blindly henceforth.
batladanny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 10:03   #23
BHPian

My Ford EcoSport 2018 has a direct TPMS, which is very accurate (+/- 1 psi). Way back in Aug 2019, we were travelling from Kaza to Chandrataal Lake and I had to get very close to the mountain side of the road to allow a bus to pass thru. As soon as the bus passed, I got an low tyre pressure alarm. A jagged rock had cut into the sidewall on the RR tyre. Had to change the tyre immediately.

My earlier Passat Highline & current BMW 520d have the indirect TPMS. Had one case when the Passat showed low tyre pressure. On checking the FL tyre had a very slow puncture. Have been lucky with the BMW so far

Am a bit skeptical of the external TPMS sensors due to theft potential.

Voted for indirect TPMS (could vote for only one)
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 11:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Its a good idea., but it's not there on my current car, Baleno. With city driving and tubeless tires, it is usually manageable, What's the cost differential between a regular and tpms tyre set? And recommended tyre brand(s) with tpms. And are there apps to accompany or some physical hardware to show readings for aftermarket tpms kit?
TPMS can be put to any tubeless tyre regardless of brand and type.

the TPMS sensor is installed on the back side (inside) of the air filling valve.

a kit costs around 3-4k and installation is extra.

you have to remove the tyre from the wheel to install the TPMS valves.
If you're getting new tyres, it's a good time to get TPMS as you would be paying for mounting new tyres anyway!
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 11:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
a kit costs around 3-4k and installation is extra.
Sensairy and Treel are coming around 7k. What justifies their premium?
Old 10th June 2022, 13:03   #26
BHPian

Have TPMS in both my cars, direct one from factory in my Mazda 3. Shows the correct pressure all times and fairly accurate. Has saved me couple of times and not that hard to reset. Would totally recommend.

Back home, I don’t know what’s there inside our Venue but it seems useless. I can’t see the air pressure anytime and it’s supposed to let me know in case of a loss. I have had a puncture and the TPMS was mum about it so I don’t care about it.
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 13:07   #27
BHPian

I got aftermarket TPMS for my Jazz and Civic from Aliexpress(when we could get is easily ). Both of them were battery operated direct hardware on tyres and a remote display inside the car car which was a perfect fit on the spare bracket near headlight controller. I found it to be very useful, it gives me individual tyre pressure and temperature.
sandeep3764 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 13:51   #28
BHPian

My 2017 first-generation prefacelifted 1.6 petrol AT Creta did not have any TPMS by default. However, we added a cheap aftermarket direct solar TPMS with external sensors for around INR 1100 from Aliexpress in 2018. We deliberately chose external sensors because we didn't want to deal with the hassles of the internal sensors. Internal sensors are very susceptible to damage especially on bad roads and replacing their batteries is also a major hassle. As far as maintenance goes, we have had to replace the batteries in the 4 external sensors only once to date.

This was one of the first pieces of equipment that I got for my car after a 12v portable tyre inflator and a tubeless tyre puncture repair kit. Having suffered from innumerable tyre issues due to the treacherous terrain of North-East India in my earlier 1986 petrol Mark IV Ambassador, having a TPMS is a very logical choice. Moreover, with our car-camping situations off the beaten path in nondescript places, a TPMS seemed all the more essential. Here is the monitor unit of the TPMS resting in all its glory on the dashboard of my car behind the smartphone mount :-

Direct vs Indirect TPMS | Which one does your car have?-cabin-view.jpg

The monitor unit of the TPMS can be recharged both by solar as well as by micro-USB. It has both high and low user-settable alarms for both temperature and pressure. It is accurate up to the first place after the decimal and it works on low power Bluetooth technology. And despite its cheap price, it has been working flawlessly, touchwood
Chhanda Das is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 13:55   #29
BHPian

Let me try to answer your questions to my best. I have Sensairy so most of my answers will be with that as an example or my experience using Sensairy

Quote:
- once the internal tpms is installed, now does one map the specific sensor to the position like front-left/right rear left/right, and spare? Further, once the tyres are rotated during service, how to change the mapping again?
Each of the sensors come with its own mapping reference out of the box. The tyre shop will install in the wheels based on that mapping. During tyre rotation, if it is app based its quite easy to remap using the app and if it has its own HUD then a couple of button presses to remap it. The feature will always be there. There is a video in the Sensairy Youtube Channel that you can view to understand the process.

Quote:
- is there a risk of damaging the sensor if driving on slightly lower pressure, upon mild puncture?... is it safe to drive to a nearby tyre shop for repair without damaging the sensor?
If there is visible deflation of the tyre, I would not recommend it. As long as the tyre wall is not touching the sensor it wont damage. But it is not easy to be sure of the tyre dynamics when it is getting deflated.

Quote:
- since the tyre guys remove the tyre for puncture repair and use water for testing , is there any risk to sensors during puncture fixing?
As long as water is not going into the tyre and getting into the sensor it should be fine. If you notice the sensor assembly the airway of the stem and the sensor are not connected.

Quote:
- how is the sensor attached to the rim? And can it get detached on its own during usage?
The sensor assembly comes with its own nuts and attached to the wheel. Highly unlikely in my opinion it would get detached.

Quote:
Can somebody recommend reliable aftermarket tpms options. Thanks.
Quote:
I also found out about treel. How is the feedback of treel vs Sensairy tpms in terms of quality and warranty support?
Quote:
Sensairy and Treel are coming around 7k. What justifies their premium?
There are many with different features and price points. Few are already mentioned in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
JK Tyre Treel, Manatec Tyremate, SensAiry, Blaupunkt etc. And our forum is also abound with reviews for some of these.
You can search the forum for the respective threads but here are few to get you started.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...bluetooth.html (Treel (by JK Tyres) launches internal TPMS sensors with Bluetooth)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ased-tpms.html (SensAiry : An app-based TPMS)
AG-D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 14:49   #30
BHPian

My Amaze did not come with a TPMS system and since I have it in the XUV, there was no way I could treat the Amaze with partiality.

Not a fan of modifications and did not like the idea of opening the tyres for installation of the internal types, I went for the external ones with a Solar charged display. Working as a charm so far. Will post the photos of the installed product and display once I am near the car.

No affiliation with the cheap Chinese product and no advertisement for them. But all cars do need a TPMS system of some type.

Query: the Amaze also doesn’t come with Engine temp gauge. Anything that the forum recommends as an accessory? Would an OBD reader be helpful?
Attached Thumbnails
Direct vs Indirect TPMS | Which one does your car have?-dd58e8bc2d9546bfbd697d08c619c392.jpeg  

Direct vs Indirect TPMS | Which one does your car have?-0d632fa0859a4439889c4e1a30d40055.jpeg  

Last edited by DevilzzzzOwn : 10th June 2022 at 14:53. Reason: Corrected a spelling mistake.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed