Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2022, 20:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: A-Lie or Alloy? An analysis of factory alloys available on Indian cars

Interesting thread.

I am terribly confused by how manufacturers mess with buyer's minds when it comes to having cars with alloy wheels. Allow me to elaborate.

I own the new Ertiga BS4 version top end model. I came with some terribly boring alloys. The only advantage it has is the light weight which helps in lifting the wheel up from the underbody during punctures (And believe me, the black steel wheel stepney looks nice and raw on the white car, especially if it is polished well)

Now, I wanted to have nice alloys on a top end car, but Maruti offered something which will make you want to replace them immediately. And, the cost of replacing them better looking ones is high, plus, you are not exactly getting a great bargain on the existing alloys. So I am stuck with boring alloys. In 2022, they launch the top end with better looking design and even if I want to switch to those, I cannot due to cost implications.

Similarly, the Swift Zxi+ has good looking alloys, but the top end costs so much that one cannot justify the price easily (If I remember in 2019, the Zxi+ was a lakh rupees more than Zxi). So it makes sense to go for Zxi model but again, you are stuck with the simpler alloy which you cannot upgrade without a good loss on your existing wheels.

In my opinion, Manufacturers should give the option of having to choose from alloy wheels (including good old steel wheels) if going for a top end model to end this quandry for a buyer. We have a Tata Harrier in our Society which is a base model and the guy has removed the stupid wheel covers off its wheels. The car looks sexy with that shamelessly simple and rugged look of the steel wheels.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 21:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
I am terribly confused by how manufacturers mess with buyer's minds when it comes to having cars with alloy wheels.

In my opinion, Manufacturers should give the option of having to choose from alloy wheels (including good old steel wheels) if going for a top end model to end this quandry for a buyer.
What a great idea! If people can customize their phone specs, laptop specs, etc, why not give an option to the buyer to do the same with some of the features of a car? Each component can have its own additional cost, as you "add them to the cart"

Let's say if I really like a specific brand x and their car y is very well received, the only thing that keeps me from going ahead with the deal is the fact that I am not a big fan of some features like alloys on the xy car. What if they were customizable at source for some premium? Would any day go ahead with the car for that than not have any option but to conform to the "design" the manufacturer finalized for a car.

Interestingly this could be a strategy at the dealer level (with third parties involved), but if the manufacturers do this directly, it would be amazing!
akshaysehgal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 22:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaysehgal View Post
Interestingly this could be a strategy at the dealer level (with third parties involved), but if the manufacturers do this directly, it would be amazing!
Manufacturers won't do this because they need to keep their targets of units/month in their production lines.
It would be like multiple detours and speed breakers on an expressway.
There are some manufacturers which do but they're not mainstream/mass market like Lamborghini and even then the customized car would have a higher waiting time than the standard.

That's why the accessories being the customisable part are left to dealers.
Although it would've been really great to choose the wheels

Last edited by shancz : 21st June 2022 at 22:19. Reason: typos
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:40   #19
BHPian

Thank you for the informative article put together very well. Alloys play a huge part in consumer buying trends and help manufacturers to upsell higher variants. Price difference of different alloys (segmentation through design like diamond cut or different color & design or size) between variants offered on the same car also would make an interesting data set.

These gorgeous 17inch alloys definitely played a big part in choosing Ecosport S variant over others.
A-Lie or Alloy? An analysis of factory alloys available on Indian cars-img_8050.jpg
nightraven is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks