Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2011, 17:33   #16
BHPian

Re: Should I upgrade tyres for Optra Magnum

what do you have on your killer brajj? I might also go your way with the remap;-)
Old 17th January 2011, 17:53   #17
BHPian

As there is not much performance tyres options available in 15" had to go with Maaxis Vectra MA-Z1 205/55/15 which is average.
But after driving remapped cruze with Hankook Ventus evo V12 at 220kmph and there is no squeal at all while braking at that speeds i guess its best for high speed. Still i have to check if Hankook Ventus evo V12 is available in 15" or not. Curze had 17".
Old 21st May 2011, 12:15   #18
BHPian

Even I need to change the wheels on my car. Need some urgent advice. 1 tire is out of service . Thinking of getting a new set of 4.
Priorities :
Ground Clearance (Similar is fine I don't want to lose on GC)
Comfort
Long Lasting
Hopefully somewhat better performance than the OEM's

Options :
1. 195/60/15 - Stock Size - Michelin Primacy LC or some Yoko's (Yoko availability in Lucknow might be an issue and could not find any India specific information on their website.)
2. 205/55/15 - Might lose on GC (4mm if I remember correctly but dunno whether that would really matter)
3. 205/60/15 - Sidewall scraping issue. Is it true? Otherwise seems to be a good upgrade option.

Kindly advice on what should be rubbers I should l consider. Want to upgrade the profile but not without any concrete information.

Cheers
Old 21st May 2011, 12:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Stick to 195/60-15. The Primacy LC is a good option. Yoko C drive is also nice and much better VFM.
Old 21st May 2011, 14:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

@ Nikhilb2008,

For the same size 195/60R15 between the PrimacyLC the Yoko C drive and the Yoko AVS dB which one would be the most silent of the lot.
Old 22nd May 2011, 15:57   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

To be very honest, all 3 would be very very silent. I dont think most of us would even realise the difference between the 3. And among these 3, I would think the Primacy LC and the AVS dB would be tied.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 13:48   #22
BHPian

Yoko C drives are not available in Lucknow. A drives were damn expensive. Michelin PLC is for 5500 with installation and balancing in the stock size - 195/60/15.

Another option I have is Bridgestone G3 which is available for 5050. I might just go for a second hand tyre to have it as a spare right now (short of my spare currently) and upgrade in another 2-3k.

The upsize I'm looking at is 205/60/R15 for Michelin PLC. Don't know whether its a good call and it would again increase the costs upwards of Rs. 5500. Confused as hell even with just 2 options I have.
Old 29th June 2011, 14:40   #23
BHPian

Guys am planning to buy an Optra Magnum in the next two weeks so wanted to get some tyre advice for it. The stock tyres are 195/60 R15, either Apollo Accelere or Goodyear GT3. Now if i get the Acceleres would mostly stick with them, but have heard bad things about the GT3 so would change those (Looking at Yoko C drive or Michelin PLC). But are 195 width tyres sufficient for the car, or would you guys advise upsizing? The car is mostly going to be used in city with the occasional long drive (say once a month). Are 195's sufficient or would a wider patch be advisable?

And do any of you have any issues with the GC of the Optra? (specifically the Bangalore guys as you know what lovely speedbreakers we have here). If there are indeed issues with the GC then would an upsize to 205/60 help? Please advise.

Thanks!
Old 5th February 2013, 01:01   #24
BHPian

whats happened finally?

I am planning to upgrade tyres on my Magnum LT ( 205 * 60 * 15)
Probably Yoko DB 550 or Bridgestone MY02 or some cheaper options.
My OE tyre is Apollo. I had scratched the humps in B'lore many times due to low ground clearance.
Hope this will help improve the GC and grip n control.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
Yoko C drives are not available in Lucknow. A drives were damn expensive. Michelin PLC is for 5500 with installation and balancing in the stock size - 195/60/15.

Another option I have is Bridgestone G3 which is available for 5050. I might just go for a second hand tyre to have it as a spare right now (short of my spare currently) and upgrade in another 2-3k.

The upsize I'm looking at is 205/60/R15 for Michelin PLC. Don't know whether its a good call and it would again increase the costs upwards of Rs. 5500. Confused as hell even with just 2 options I have.
Old 8th October 2013, 19:18   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
whats happened finally?

I am planning to upgrade tyres on my Magnum LT ( 205 * 60 * 15)
Probably Yoko DB 550 or Bridgestone MY02 or some cheaper options.
My OE tyre is Apollo. I had scratched the humps in B'lore many times due to low ground clearance.
Hope this will help improve the GC and grip n control.

Regards
any news on tyre upgrade
Old 8th October 2013, 19:34   #26
BHPian

Yes upgraded the front ones to new yoko and the steering felt light and I could really feel a positive difference, especially going over the humps in bangalore city.
Usually wider tyres make steering a bit harder but I this case its the opposite.
I have noted that few other BHPians also had similar experience.
Old 8th October 2013, 20:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
But are 195 width tyres sufficient for the car, or would you guys advise upsizing? The car is mostly going to be used in city with the occasional long drive (say once a month). Are 195's sufficient or would a wider patch be advisable?
Unless you're planning on high speed cornering, 140kmph+ driving or hard breaking, 195 treads should prove more than sufficient.
As the sidewall size of both the tyres that you mentioned, the GC shouldn't pose a problem. I do not know about the stiffness of rear springs on the optra but my swift with 205 width and 4 average weight individuals at the back had absolutely no problem such as tyres scraping the sidewall etcetra.
Oh, i have driven my car in Hassan roads with 205's. If you think bangalore roads are badass, you should check out the roads in hassan.
Cheers!
Old 13th October 2013, 23:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Yes upgraded the front ones to new yoko and the steering felt light and I could really feel a positive difference, especially going over the humps in bangalore city.
Usually wider tyres make steering a bit harder but I this case its the opposite.
I have noted that few other BHPians also had similar experience.
what size and model in yoko did you go far, if its 205/60/15' does it rub on th edges?
Old 14th November 2013, 15:47   #29
BHPian

Sorry for the delay in response. I was busy these days.
It does not touch the sides often, but if you rotate the steering fully to one side then it will touch in a mild manner. But such occasions are very few and we can avoid turning the steering fully. I heard from experts that its better to avoid rotating the steering to the maximum limit as it is not good for power steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ555 View Post
what size and model in yoko did you go far, if its 205/60/15' does it rub on th edges?

Most Viewed