Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2009, 16:13   #166
BHPian

Thank You Ravi,
One more ques. How does the 155 michelin effect the steering response? does it feel more responsive/heavy??
I hope the day comes when i will change the tyres on our family WagonR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
The Michelin XM1s of my WangoR are still having very good thread even after 26000 kms. The grip is simply great both in wet and dry. They would definitely come for another 10k km easily before replacement needed.
Hi askssh,
please please post some pics of the new alloys and tyres. !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by askssh View Post
After covering 53k Km, one of the tyres of my WagonR ended life yesterday. I noticed that the tyre got damaged, while 2 others were considerably weared!

This resulted in a very quick decision to go for new tyres. This time it was tubeless. I had a passion of alloy wheels for quite sometime and was waiting for a chance to go for it. Here came the time with justification to go for alloy.

I quickly researched on the options browsing various posts in this forum and calculated for possible upsizing along with their effects. I finally zeroed on Michelin 155/65/R13 tubeless and Aura D6350, 13"x5" 100 PCD, normal finish.

I picked up Aura wheels from Aura distributor, MV Enterprise, at Kalasipalyam, at 14800.00 for 5 wheels (they do sell single wheel, if requested for) and got the tyres from Saiyengar, lalbagh road, as being referred to by wheel vendor. Millivision offered 2550.00 for each tyre with balancing, alignment, fitment cost of 500.00 as extra for all 5 wheels, while Saiyengar offered 2600.00 for each tyre including fitment.

It was my fault that I did not make things clear with them about the tyre price. They charged me around 15k+ for 5 tyres! They took 500.00 additional for balancing, though alignment and nitro-filling were free, while added 12.5%, in the name of VAT, over 13000.00 (2600.00 x 5) during billing, escalating the overall 15k (3000.00 per tyre overall).

I am very happy on how my non-human family member is looking like; but pretty unhappy on how the tyre deal went. I did not really understand tyre vendor's price jugglery, before taking it! I am pretty sure that when a price is quoted for something, it includes VAT, as in case of Aura alloy wheels and tyres from Millivision.

I will call up these wheel and tyre guys and ask for clarification (of course, without any expectation for refund). However, the wheels look pretty good and tyres are perfect for quiet and comfortable ride.

Old 8th May 2009, 15:39   #167

Here is an important update:

I called up Alloy dealer and told him the episode with the tyre guy, as he talked to Sai in my presence and fixed the rates. Within 10min Sai person called me and acknowledged that it was their mistake due to some miscommunication and requested me to get the refund (VAT amount). I am planning to go there and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakumarkp View Post
please please post some pics of the new alloys and tyres. !!
Will do, surely. Today I have given it for washing in service station after a quick drive to and fro Vellor yesterday (I has given much better mileage this time).
I will take some more photos and post them here. Thanks for your interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakumarkp View Post
How does the 155 michelin effect the steering response? does it feel more responsive/heavy??
Steering handling was smooth, very smooth and I did not feel that I now have wider tyres. Road grip is excellent.
Old 8th May 2009, 19:26   #168
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the delay, i got the michelins for my wagon r a couple of days back at 2600 a piece. Love the tyres so far, car does not crash into potholes anymore, corners a lot better and most importantly super silent compared to the stock bridgestones.
Old 11th May 2009, 11:38   #169
BHPian

Hi cooldude,
Are you running the new tyres on stock steel rims or alloys? And please post some pics. Thank you
Old 11th May 2009, 20:23   #170
Senior - BHPian

I am running them on stock steel wheels.
Old 11th May 2009, 20:54   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now that I am going for some long drives in this monsoon season in my new WagonR Lxi, I have decided to upgrade the 145/70 R13 stock tyres. After reading all the comments in the relevent sections, i have zeroed in on the following two tyres.

1. Michelin XM1 Engery 155/65 R13. 2300/- per tyre which is well in my budget.
2. Bridgestone Potenza 165/60 R13, which costs 2800/- per tyre and I need to stretch my budget a lil bit.

Thought of fitting 165/60 R13 from Michelin, but michelin does have only 165/65, which does not go well with wagon-R.

If I fit Michelin, I can save some money, and decent Fuel economy, as well as decent performance. But, 155 is a little bit smaller to my target 165. If I have to take Potenza, I will get excellent grip, but I need to strech my budget and loose some fuel economy (Is it true??)

When compared these two tyres, how much will be the performance difference? Which one should I go for? Please advise me.
Dear Ravi, I have a Maruti Omini 2005 used for 58000kms and has Apollo radials set in resonably end of life condition of tread and I want to replace them can I go for a good CHINESE brand tyres available in the market, please give advise and also which brand will be good OR I must go back again for Apollo set of tyres which come with unconditional free replacement guarrantee for three years and the defective,torn,burst,cut tyres are replaced without asking any questions, only after checking treat depth and estimating useage and paying the difference which comes to pittance comparing cost of buying a new tyre.
Old 11th June 2009, 21:03   #172
Senior - BHPian

My friend wishes to upgrade to tubeless tyres from his stock JK. As of now, no mention has been there on size upgrade, but on thinking of Michelin, the stock size is not available.
So the problem now is:
1. In stock size, what are the best options available.
2. Is upgrade advisable to 155/65 R13? He doesn't want any decrease in FE.
3. If upgrade, then which tyres?

I was having Michelins and Yokos in mind, but in the light of the above problems, please brainstorm my questions.

Thanks a lot
Warm Regards
Tanveer Singh
Old 12th June 2009, 07:44   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
My friend wishes to upgrade to tubeless tyres from his stock JK. As of now, no mention has been there on size upgrade, but on thinking of Michelin, the stock size is not available.
So the problem now is:

I was having Michelins and Yokos in mind, but in the light of the above problems, please brainstorm my questions.

Thanks a lot
Warm Regards
Tanveer Singh
Considering all your points, Michelin XM1+, 155/65 R13 fits the bill best. Infact VXi comes with tyres of this rating.

BTW, Michelin is now available in 12inches as well.

Abhi
Old 12th June 2009, 15:00   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Considering all your points, Michelin XM1+, 155/65 R13 fits the bill best. Infact VXi comes with tyres of this rating.

Abhi
Thanks abhi. But can you tell me if the tyre uppgrade will cause any change in the Fuel Efficiency as this is a main consideration for my friend.

Warm Regards
Tanveer Singh
Old 12th June 2009, 15:15   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
So the problem now is:

Thanks a lot
Warm Regards
Tanveer Singh
I have been using XM1's (155/65/13) on my WagonR for almost three years now. I haven't noticed much drop in FE to be honest. Its not much to lose sleep over.
Old 12th June 2009, 16:02   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
I have been using XM1's (155/65/13) on my WagonR for almost three years now. I haven't noticed much drop in FE to be honest. Its not much to lose sleep over.
Thanks a lot. I'll convey the same to him.
Michelins are the most recommended, so they're the final suggestion from my side.

Warm Regards
Tanveer Singh
Old 12th June 2009, 18:20   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

Abhi
There is no XM1+ in the above mentioned size only xm1
Old 12th June 2009, 19:02   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
There is no XM1+ in the above mentioned size only xm1
Thanks a lot for the confirmation on the same.

Warm Regards
Tanveer Singh
Old 29th July 2009, 00:31   #179
BHPian

Small Review of Michelin 155/65/R13 after 29k kms with Wagon R.

Hi,

Recently my Wagon R completed 29k kms with Michelin 155/65/R13, on stock rims. Did extensive trips under harsh conditions too. Awesome grip I can say; improved braking than stock tyres; nice grip in wet conditions too. No punctures till now. Spare tyre is still new. The thread is still near half. I could easily do another 15k with these tyres.

Two years back I visited Tirupathi ghats with stock 145 tyres. I was scared to death while negotiating the hairpins while descending, with 4 people and luggage. I could still remember the anxious moments I faced. I have changed to 155 michelins immediately after the trip. Did many trips to hill areas including Munnar-Kodai trip in heavy rains with completely broken roads. Enjoyed each and every moment with the car in the ghats.

Last week, I visited Tirupathi again, and I was waiting for this moment, as I can check clearly what the difference made by the tyres. It was pure fun ascending and descending. Not a single scary moment. At some points in the ghat did even 90 kmph. Taking even deep curves at 30 kmph.

Now, I can vouch for the Michelins. Only one word, Excellent!!!!

PS: No change in fuel efficiency. May be very slight that you cannot even notice.

I wish there were 165/60/R13 in Michelins. I would look for 165 option at my next change.

Last edited by ravi@64bhp : 29th July 2009 at 00:38.
Old 9th August 2009, 22:44   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Recently my Wagon R completed 29k kms with Michelin 155/65/R13......

I wish there were 165/60/R13 in Michelins. I would look for 165 option at my next change.
Hi Ravi, since you are upgrading your tyre width by 20mm from stock, check if your stock wheels are wide enough, For 165/60 R13, you need a minimum of 4.5" rim width, and 5" would be ideal.

You still can wear 165/60 R13 on 4" rims without problems but you will feel the steering slightly blunt and late to respond, increased steering effort, wobbly cornering and a bit instability during braking. You may not notice all these under moderate driving though. Bridgestone G III Potenza has 165/60 R 13 which would be a good choice for you since Michelins don't have that size.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks