Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 15:09   #181
BHPian

Hi guys,

How will be handling if I put 155/70 R13 bridgestone turanza on 13x5.5j alloys?
At the moment I have 165/65 on 13x5.5j on my wagonR.
Old 27th November 2009, 01:54   #182
BHPian

Hi Guys need your opinion,

I have a wagon r vxi 2007 model. 3 weeks back while I was returning home my car's right side tyres(both front and rear) got hit by a iron rod(road construction work), as a result both of them got cut and punctured. Imagine they were MRF ZVTS(stock tyres) and still they could not take the impact, I thought they were one of the toughest tyres around .
They had done 25kms till that day and I had no option but to replace them as I was travelling to Ajanta and Ellora the next day. Moreover the MRF tyres had uneven wear n tear and were making loud noise if i went beyond 70 kms/hr. I wanted to go in for Michelin's but as per the dealers in Pune they were in shortage. Only one dealer had them but that was too far from my place. So I had to go in for Maxxis 165-65-R13(dealers recommendation). These tyres are not outright performers but in the 3 weeks that i have driven my car with them they seem to perform nicely. Atleast they provide better grip, less noise and low rolling resistance as compared to the MRFs(handling was good throughout the ajanta and ellora trip).

I was going through the forum and have seen members suggesting that 165-65-R13 is not the correct upsize for Wagon R as they tend to touch the body of the car. In these 3 weeks I have not faced a problem with them so just as a precaution I wanted to ask the the following 2 questions:-

1. Does this tyre size really touch the body of car. If yes how do I know?

2. Provided the above point is true shall I get my tyres changed to the stock size of 155-65-R13 . And If i were to change the tyres,(they have done 750 kms on them) what exchange price should I expect for them. I got them for Rs 10000( 4 tyres + wheel balancing + wheel alignment + nitrogen filling).

Gurus please advise.....

Thanks
Old 5th April 2010, 16:46   #183
Team-BHP Support

My car needs new tires.

Its a Wagon R Vxi.
Currently running on Bridgestones.
Set of 4 Bridgestones with tubes cost about 10k in Hyderabad.

What other options do I have.
I am not planning on installing alloys. Happy with the steel rims.

What other tire options should I consider for my car?

Please note:
I don't want to upsize/ downsize.
Important thing is safety and road grip.

I do drive to Chennai and on Nh5, I generally do a 120.

The bridgestones have worked like a charm.
I would like something better than them in the road grip department.

But not so soft that they wear out in less than 20k kms.

Also note that my tires (04 Sept) with almost 50k have a lot of tread left in them.
I never wheel spin. Nor do I brake harshly.

Last edited by bblost : 5th April 2010 at 16:49.
Old 5th April 2010, 17:40   #184
Senior - BHPian

bblost

145/70-13 Bridgestone Turanza ER60
155/65-13 Michelin XM1 or Yokohama A drives

IIRC, the Vxi's came with 155/65-13 size tires.

cheers
Old 5th April 2010, 17:43   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
bblost

145/70-13 Bridgestone Turanza ER60
155/65-13 Michelin XM1 or Yokohama A drives

IIRC, the Vxi's came with 155/65-13 size tires.

cheers
Yes, the Vxi comes with the 155/ 65-13 size.
So I am looking for 155 size.

Between the Bridgestones, Yoko and Michelin.
Which tires will give me the best in terms of
Road Grip.
Least Noise.
Comfort.
Fuel Economy.
IN that order.
Old 5th April 2010, 18:03   #186
BHPian

Hi bblost,
Why don't try the Continental tyres for Wagon-R? I've completed nearly 6K with those 155/70 R13 Conti tyres. I would say those best bet for Wagon-R from my experience. Not even got a single puncture and all. Had lot of bad road trips and all. Also, you will get 8mm increased Ground Clearence as well. Just have a try.
Old 5th April 2010, 18:57   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Between the Bridgestones, Yoko and Michelin.
Which tires will give me the best in terms of
Road Grip.
Least Noise.
Comfort.
Fuel Economy.
IN that order.
Both michelin XM1 and yoko A drives would meet the above requirements.
Michelins would be slightly better in terms of road noise.
A drives would cost u approx 200rs lesser than michelins.
Both the tires are equally good u won't go wrong with any of the two. Rest depends upon your budget and choice.
Cheers
Old 5th April 2010, 21:15   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

you could also give a serious thought to the Conti CEC. It's a pretty good tyre for the price.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:46   #189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
you could also give a serious thought to the Conti CEC. It's a pretty good tyre for the price.
Is this available in the 155 65 R13 size that is currently used in my Wagon R Vxi.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...irefinder.html
Shows only 155 70 R13 as available.
Can I use this on the Wagon R.

Bridgestone is 2.5k including tube.

What would be the approx price for Michellin, Yoko and Conti?

And from your update in another thread.
That using steel rims is ok for tubeless.
How can I find out the health of my rims.

Thanks,

Last edited by bblost : 6th April 2010 at 10:55.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:53   #190
BHPian

Hello BBLOST,

My wagon r VX is running on Bridgestone Potenza G111 165/60 R13 tubeless on 10 year old OEM steel RIMS. These tyres runs like a dream and had even saved my life few times on hard braking.They have done 8k kms now and wear properly. Few of my friends are using Michelin Xm1 and complains about less tyre life.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:32   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

bblost --- You can find out by removing the tyres and seeing the rims. See how much rust is there, if any, and if there is any rust on the rim where the beading of the tyre sits.

Also, if there are a few minor bends near the lip, it shoul be ok.

Go to a tyre guy and he will tell you best.
Old 12th April 2010, 15:18   #192
BHPian

hey bblost.. Pontenza and XM1 are really having different qualities.

Potenza- Perfomance tyres, 1.will be having tyre noise, 2.low profile-will be more bumpy on pothholes, 3.Will be having excellent grips on higher speeds 4.Costs High 5.Long lasting

Xm1 - Comfort Tyres 1. Less tyre noise 2. Soft side wall- Will be more comfortable on pothholes 3. Will be having above average grip 4. Cost less than Potenza's 5. Lasting will be little bit less compared to potenzas

So now you can consider the way you use the car, so that you can get the matching one
Old 25th May 2010, 18:22   #193
BHPian

New tyres for Wagon R Lxi?

Hello,
My 2004 WagonR Lxi has done nearly 47,000 kms and needs a change of tyres. The current tyres are OEM JK Ultimas (tube-type) in 145/70 R13 size, riding on stock pressed steel rims. One of the tyres recently suffered a deformation, probably due to excessive wear. That tyre is a write-off, and it is the reason why I'm looking to change all the tyres, since I feel it is only a matter of time before all it's siblings give up too, since they are also worn-out to the same extent (tread has almost reached wear-out marker, about 1/2 mm depth left). Also, micro-cracks are visible in the treads of all the tyres, especially in the grooves. As of now, I'm driving around without a spare tyre, and I urgently need to implement this change. I am planning to upgrade to 155/65 R13 size for better ride and handling. I had even considered the 165/60 R13 BS Potenza G3, but I have heard that it is too noisy and gives a hard ride, so I dropped the idea.
Now here is my predicament. I visited 3 dealers over the weekend (4 actually, but the fourth one, Anand Trading Corp. at Phugewadi was least interested in my business. He just gave a cursory arm-chair quote of 2300/- for Bridgestone S322s, so I just let him be). Here I list my experiences with these dealers.

Dealer 1 - Maharashtra Tyres, Pimpri.

I would call this is a "shop" rather than a showroom. It doesn't have an air-conditioned glass display area, hydraulic car-lifts (with a high-end fancy car propped up by default, as is always the case with tyre "showrooms"), alignment/balancing equipment and all the fancy toys and gizmos you would normally find in a tyre "showroom". It's just a small store with tyres put up on metal racks and wooden desk for the owner. He does have the tyre mounting/unmounting machine though. All the work is done on the sidewalk by a few employees.
When I told him of my requirement, he asked how old the car was. When I told him 5 years, he suggested going for tube-type tyres only, as such old rims might not be perfect and may cause leakage in tubeless tyres. He implied that I can have tubeless tyres at my own risk. Here are his quoted rates (which haven't been negotiated):

1. Bridgestone S322 tube-type Rs.2300/-
2. Bridgestone S322 tube-less Rs.2150/-
3. Apollo Amazer tube-type Rs. 2100/-
4. Apollo Acelere tube-less Rs. 1950/-
5. There was one more tube-less pattern in Apollo for which he also quoted Rs. 1950/-.

I think he also had an MRF tube type, about which I dont recollect much, except it cost more than Rs. 2000/-.

These rates do not include any wheel balancing/alignment/nitrogen, for reasons already mentioned above.

Dealer 2 - Tyre Plus, Kasarwadi.

This is a relatively new store. I think he is a Michelin Priority Partner or something, because his store sported a huge Michelin signboard (other brands were also displayed on a separate board in smaller size). Air-conditioning, proper service bay, the works. The guy who attended to us was very friendly, said there will be no problems whatsoever in using tubeless tyres with steel rims. He said most cars which are used within the city for personal and home use (like mine) do not have any rim problems. He claimed that they had even fitted tubeless tyres on 10 year old M800s without any issues. His (again, not negotiated) quotes:

1. Michelin XM1+ tube-less Rs. 2750/-
2. Yokohama A-drive tube-less Rs. 2500/-

This rate includes wheel balancing, alignment and nitrogen filling.

Dealer 3 - Darshan Tyres, Balewadi.

Again, a proper "showroom" with all the fancy toys. The same Michelin signboard, this time in jumbo size (other brands were also displayed on the same board in smaller size). Sales guy was quite friendly, said he would "check" the rims on my car and then determine whether I could go tubeless or not. I had my bike that day, so he kept insisting that I get the car to his showroom so that we could "sit across the table and discuss" (read negotiate). His (non-negotiated) quotes are:

1. Michelin XM1+ tubeless Rs. 2750/-
2. Continental tubeless Rs. 2450/- (cant recall sub-brand)
3. Bridgestone S322 tubeless Rs. 2250/-

Rate does not include wheel alignment (Rs.250/-) and balancing (50 paise per gram, no labour). Also, no nitrogen (no machine).

Now, me being a VFM type of guy, am already leaning towards the Apollo Aceleres (dealer 1). But I am apprehensive about going tubeless on account of what the dealer said. If I do go for them and face any problem later, he will probably adopt the "I-told-you-so" line. Also, he has no facilities for checking or straightening the rims. So, that is a risk I have to take. Now, here are my questions:

1. Given the above scenarios, what is the correct approach to take if I want to install tube-less tyres, considering the age of the rims?

I do not wish to hear the word "alloys", my car is too old for that now.

2. Is it really justified paying 1.5 times as much for Michelins than for Apollos?

I found the Acelere tread pattern to be almost similar to XM1+, except that the latter is asymmetrical. The fellow at Darshan Tyres told me about the "silica versus carbon" thing, but I still feel 1.5 times is too much of a price difference for an intangible feature that the customer cannot actually "see". Thats just my opinion, maybe it's the VFM side of my brain speaking, I may be wrong. Please don't shoot me!
(In any case, I have serious apprehensions about Michelin after reading the numerous threads here about sidewall bulges on those tyres. Even the Darshan Tyres fellow fleetingly referred to "driving carefully" with Michelins to avoid answering my "Michelin sidewall issues" query. The tyre dealers I spoke to plainly declared that warranty claims for sidewall bulges/cuts are directly rejected by ALL manufacturers. If that is the case, I will go for the cheaper ones. That way, I won't regret losing as much money as I would on a "premium" tyre. Not that I expect to have sidewall issues, but why take the chance . There is nothing I hate more than losing my hard-earned, 9-hours-a-day, TDS-deducted peanuts.)

3. Assuming I go ahead with the tubeless Aceleres, I would first like to get my rims checked and also treated for rust. How do I go about doing this?

4. If I just go ahead and change to Aceleres without any rim checks/treatment and then run into issues with air loss, I assume the best thing to do would be to change the rim(s) in question. In that case, what does a new WagonR rim cost?

Thank you for your patience in reading my post. Any opinion/feedback is highly appreciated.
Old 27th May 2010, 21:24   #194
BHPian

@Bullitt

I would suggest you to go ahead with tube-type tyres than tubelss tyres on your old wagonr with stock discs.

In your vehicle rather than enjoying the benefit of tubeless, I feel there can be issues if your discs are rusted and if it have bends also.

If you consider tubeless, Michelin will give you good comfort when Potenzas will give you more life.

Better stick on to tube-type tyres, else if planning for alloys, try tubeless.
Old 28th May 2010, 12:22   #195
BHPian

Hi thelightening,
Thanks for the input. But I wish to find out and address beforehand the possibility of the very issues you have pointed out, namely bends and rust on the rims.
Considering the various benefits of tubeless tyres, I would, as far as possible, not want to forego them in favor of tube-type tyres. Part of the reason is also the frequent punctures (and resultant instant flat tyres) I have faced with the current tube-type tyres.

I would like to frame it like this "If my rims are not bent and rust-free, I would like to go for tubeless tyres."

Then the logical question that arises is, how do I make sure my rims are round and rust-free? It is this answer that I am looking for.

And if indeed the rims are found to be round and rust-free, I would like to treat them for rust before I fit the new tyres. Where and how can I get this done?

Here is the approach I plan to take:

1. Install all 5 Apollo Acelere tubeless tyres, then watch for leaks for a few days. (I ruled out Potenzas and Michelins already in my previous post. Feel free to suggest any other good brand in the budget range.)

2. If any leaks are found, investigate. Based on this:

a. If 1 or 2 rims are found to be problematic and cannot be fixed, replace them with brand new rims.

The question here is, what is the cost of a WagonR stock rim?

b. If all the rims are found to be problematic and cannot be fixed, I will purchase 5 tubes and insert them into all the tyres, rather than buy 5 new rims.

As I had mentioned before, I do not intend to buy any jewellery for the old lady, it simply wouldn't make her look any younger now , though I am willing to buy a new stock rim or two to solve any issues I may face with the tubeless tyres.

Please let me know the answers to the questions in bold.

Also, is the approach I am taking correct? What are the possible issues I might face (say, after putting tubes in tubeless tyres)?

Tyre gurus? Anyone? TIA.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks