Team-BHP - Michelin XM1 or Potenza for WagonR??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Michelin XM1 or Potenza for WagonR?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/25577-michelin-xm1-potenza-wagonr-7.html)

Hi Itzzme
Well i dont have that much knowledge abt tyres, so just wanted to know if silica based tyres are good or non silica based tyres are good. And which are silica based tryes as I am running on Michelin XMI series too for my santro
Thanks a ton in advance

Chao

Quote:

Originally Posted by cancerm (Post 611230)
Hi Itzzme
Well i dont have that much knowledge abt tyres, so just wanted to know if silica based tyres are good or non silica based tyres are good. And which are silica based tryes as I am running on Michelin XMI series too for my santro
Thanks a ton in advance

Chao

Silica based tyres are better than non-slilica based tyres. Michelin XM1's are non-slica tyres and Michelin MX1 Energy's are silica-based tyres. The 'Energy' range starts from above 175 size tyres.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp (Post 611898)
Silica based tyres are better than non-slilica based tyres. Michelin XM1's are non-slica tyres and Michelin MX1 Energy's are silica-based tyres. The 'Energy' range starts from above 175 size tyres.:)

Silica based tyres in India

Energy XM1(14" and above)
Energy MXV8

Complete range of YOKOHAMA India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cancerm (Post 611230)
And which are silica based tryes as I am running on Michelin XMI series too for my santro

Your Santro tyres(assuming 13") are non silica ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpzen (Post 610539)
Congrats Neeraj..!
Good choice.

Thanks, Prajesh! Actually with your experience i was convinced about 155/65. But, michelin recommends 5.0j rims for this tyre size & surprisingly 4.5j rims for 155/70 ( refer michelin web site). Could be due to lower profile!
BTW, another option as 165/70 R12 ( KUMHO ) was available but fitting them on 12" stock would have been a crime. I think, if fitted on 5j 12" alloys these tyres would be a perfect combination of ride & handling.

Hi all,

This event has set me thinking if I should seriously consider changing from stock Bridgestone S322 tube-type tyres on my Wagon R (155/65 R13) to Tubeless.I am not certain if I should upsize. When I last asked vendors in town, they said this was the best size (155/65 R13) for the Wagon R. Ride comfort is priority and I do a lot of bad roads. A lot of them.

I have 13" x 5" Aura alloys.

Any and all suggestions are most welcome sirs.

I have been contemplating on an alloy and tyre upgrade.

So is Michelin XM1 still an worthy upgrade or is there any new contender ?

I enquired about the price with BK Tyres, lajpat nagar, Delhi about the Michelin XM1 series.

The price quoted,

Michelin XM1 155/65 R13 = 2600 :eek: (new prices for new stock)
Michelin XM1 165/65 R13 = 2500 (old stock)

I wanted to upgrade to 165/65, but they said that it would scrap the body, so they suggested 155/65.

Is the price justified ? Does anyone have any "contacts" for a lesser price :D

The Neo Dozen 13 alloy, black finish have been quoted @13000 for 5 set.

P.S. I am upgrading from stock WagonR LXi tyres.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakensoul (Post 924361)
I wanted to upgrade to 165/65, but they said that it would scrap the body, so they suggested 155/65.

Potenza comes in 165/60/R13 which will be the correct fit for WagonR. I dont think same specification is produced by Michelin. I have been using Potenza since 1 year, so far no complaints. You can check my garage for pictures. :thumbs up

Quote:

That is indeed correct.

Quote:

Is the price justified ? Does anyone have any "contacts" for a lesser price

I have contacts but if he says the prices have increased, he's right. The increase happened a day or two ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shajufx (Post 924387)
Potenza comes in 165/60/R13 which will be the correct fit for WagonR. I dont think same specification is produced by Michelin. I have been using Potenza since 1 year, so far no complaints. You can check my garage for pictures. :thumbs up

So whats the verdict ? Is it performing ok, or excellent :D, does it touch the body ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 924404)
That is indeed correct.

I have contacts but if he says the prices have increased, he's right. The increase happened a day or two ago.

But @shajufx is using the 165/60 on his WagonR :confused:

I am mainly looking for VFM and ride quality, better grip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakensoul (Post 924412)
But @shajufx is using the 165/60 on his WagonR

I am mainly looking for VFM and ride quality, better grip.

It's a 5% lower profile, so chances of touching are lower. And I was talking about 165/65.

Oh..ok. I understand. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 924445)
It's a 5% lower profile, so chances of touching are lower. And I was talking about 165/65.

Chances of touching are higher :) not on the car body but on the road !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakensoul (Post 924468)
Oh..ok. I understand. Thanks.

As you reduce thickness of the tire, it gets closer similarity to sports tires. When you look at 165 tires from the front angle, few millimeters are bulging out already !cheers:

Went to BK Tyres again to check some alloy designs and tyres.

I have shortlisted the following design for alloys from Plati.

However he said that its not available in size 13 from Plati, but has the exact same replica from a different brand. I have attached the pic from HR and the Plati looks exactly the same. He said that the logo can be changed to any logo I wish. So the question is, is the build quality the same for all the chinese alloys or do I specifically ask for HR or Plati?

Has anyone heard of an alloy company called Fly King, i don't remember the exact name.

The tyres I have selected are Yokohama A drive 165/65 and Michelin 165/65.

The price quoted were

Plati alloys -9500 for 4
Fly King - 8500 for 4
Yokahama A Drive 165/65 R13 - 2350 each
Michelin 165/65 R13 -2600

I was offered 4000 for the existing stock 4 tyres (run 17k kms) and 1500 for the spare wheel which is brand new.

So effective cost

9500 + 9400 = 18900

18900 - 5500 = 13400

Or should I go for the michelin ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakensoul (Post 926147)
Has anyone heard of an alloy company called Fly King, i don't remember the exact name.

The tyres I have selected are Yokohama A drive 165/65 and Michelin 165/65.

I have heard of a brand 'Flying Eagles", supposed to be having many good designs. May be the shop guy mentioned that.

Your selected sizes are again 165/65 which might touch the body. May be you are not clear with the difference discussed above. Please check with someone who is using the same size before finalising.