Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2022, 19:21   #1
BHPian

Mercedes C63S: Michelin Super Sport @ front with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S @ rear

A query for the experts and non-experts to share their views on running new Michelin Super Sport fronts with a new pair of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on rears.

In this part of the world, I am unable to find 4 pieces of Michelin PS4S in the required sizes. My car came with the Michelin Super Sport on all fours. However, as per customer feedback and online expert opinion, the PS4S is a much better tyre then the Super Sport. I consider myself an enthusiastic driver and my car will love any improvement in grip.

I am planning to remain with factory staggered setup and sizes.

Thanks.
Old 13th September 2022, 20:12   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Mercedes C63S: Michelin Super Sport @ front with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S @ rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhaustpipe View Post
A query for the experts and non-experts to share their views on running new Michelin Super Sport fronts with a new pair of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on rears.

In this part of the world, I am unable to find 4 pieces of Michelin PS4S in the required sizes.

Thanks.
Couple of queries;
What is the car?
What is the tyre size?

I am using Pilot Sports 4 on my Mini Cooper S and they are beautiful tyres. However getting proper supply is very difficult. So as I ve stated elsewhere the only option whenever I do need to change these, will be MRF Perfinzas.
Old 13th September 2022, 20:15   #3
BHPian

re: Mercedes C63S: Michelin Super Sport @ front with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S @ rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Couple of queries;
What is the car?
What is the tyre size?

I am using Pilot Sports 4 on my Mini Cooper S and they are beautiful tyres. However getting proper supply is very difficult. So as I ve stated elsewhere the only option whenever I do need to change these, will be MRF Perfinzas.
Hi,

It is a W205 C63s. The front tyres are 245/35/R19 and rears are 265/35/R19. Also, the Pilot Sport 4S is not the same as the Pilot Sport 4. The 4S is a performance tyre while the 4 isn't.

Thank you.
exhaustpipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 20:20   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Hi,

It is a W205 C63s. The front tyres are 245/35/R19 and rears are 265/35/R19. Also, the Pilot Sport 4S is not the same as the Pilot Sport 4. The 4S is a performance tyre while the 4 isn't.

Thank you.
Yes that’s true. Generally for Imported Michelins the supply is terrible. Largely this make in India thing.
But you ought not to have a problem in getting 19 inch tyres.
Please write to Nikhilb2008 on this forum. He is the owner of Madhu’s, a leading tyre dealer and maintenance place here in Bangalore. He should be able to assist you or point you in the right direction for supply. And as a tyre expert, will probably be able to opine on your question as well.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 20:48   #5
BHPian

I can understand your frustration on not being able to source the PS4S tires in the size you require however mixing tires of differing tread pattern (on front and rear axle) even if slightly is not recommended. Yes PS4S is a superior tire as compared to Super Sports however if you are not tracking your car I don’t see why should you not cast your net wide and consider other brands in view of their poor availability.

There are two major criteria in my limited knowledge that should determine the choice of tires and that is handling characteristics and hydroplaning resistance.

Unfortunately, both of these tires differ quite a lot in their ability to displace water on the tarmac as well as how they handle on dry/wet surfaces.

PS4S has an asymmetrical tread pattern and has a lower contact patch thus lower rolling resistance, and has broader voids which results in better hydroplaning resistance but fewer sipes thus poor grip on wet (not waterlogged) surfaces.

Super Sports also has an asymmetrical tread design (though different then the PS4S), forms a broader contact patch thus higher rolling resistance, and has a higher number of sipes thus great handling on both dry and wet surfaces but relatively narrower voids/grooves which results in comparatively poor hydrolplaning resistance

As can be seen, PS4S and Super Sport both differ quite a bit on these important parameters, and thus mixing them is best avoided.

As for availability, I’m told Pirelli P Zero Corsa is available in quite a lot of sizes such as (245/35R20 & 275/30R20 as an example, and also the set up on one of my cars).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 13th September 2022 at 20:54. Reason: spelling correction
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 14:44   #6
BHPian

Re: Mercedes C63S: Michelin Super Sport @ front with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S @ rear

Quote:
Hi,

It is a W205 C63s. The front tyres are 245/35/R19 and rears are 265/35/R19.
Why don't you go for the Pirelli PZero? It is available in both sizes.
Old 14th September 2022, 18:30   #7
BHPian

Re: Mercedes C63S: Michelin Super Sport @ front with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S @ rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
Why don't you go for the Pirelli PZero? It is available in both sizes.
Thanks. I've had the PZero's on other cars. They are great tyres, have considerably less road noise and equally strong grip but they don't last as long as Michelins. Order has been placed. Lets see how the car handles with different models of tyres.

Thanks everyone.
exhaustpipe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 00:09   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Should not be an issue. I have a similar setup in my S and car runs and handles perfectly
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 07:59   #9
Team-BHP Support

As long as the same type of tyre is on the same axle and you are not driving on extreme, you are okay.

Have you considered Continental tyres?
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 11:51   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

In this part of the world, I am unable to find 4 pieces of Michelin PS4S in the required sizes. My car came with the Michelin Super Sport on all fours. However, as per customer feedback and online expert opinion, the PS4S is a much better tyre then the Super Sport. I consider myself an enthusiastic driver and my car will love any improvement in grip.

I am planning to remain with factory staggered setup and sizes.

Thanks.
I don't think it should be a major issue, as each of the axles has the same tyres. Considering the availability issue in India, I think its ok to go ahead, even though it may not be ideal. But functionally you won't face any issue.
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 15:42   #11

Quote:

Thanks.
Having been through this issue myself on my BMW X3, I would not recommend different types of tyres on front and rear. Even a small difference could spoil your driving experience.

The AWD system on the X3 detects the slightest difference in the RPM of front and rear wheels and starts compensating for it during acceleration, leading to pauses and spurts in power (feels like the clutch is slipping in an old fiat). Now Merc C63 might not have that issue, but why take the risk.
psingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 04:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Get different sets, it's not going to make a discernible difference to your driving.

I don't understand how you expect the Michelins to last much longer than the Pirellis (or any other tyres) with 700 Nm going through only the rears. I don't know your driving style, but if you nanny it, it doesn't matter because both tyres will last reasonably long, and if you cane it on that car, even stone will wear out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psingh View Post
The AWD system on the X3 detects the slightest difference in the RPM of front and rear wheels and starts compensating for it during acceleration, leading to pauses and spurts in power (feels like the clutch is slipping in an old fiat). Now Merc C63 might not have that issue, but why take the risk.
All Merc C63 models to date are RWD only. No chance of detecting F/R slip and trying to compensate or rein in.
Old 27th December 2022, 15:02   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Apologies for the late reply, but I would agree with the majority of posters here.

Two different patterns shouldnt make too much of a difference, but ideally, I would still try to make a matching set of tyres. IT's just my OCD rather than any technical suggestion

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks