Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2022, 23:06   #1
BHPian

Bridgestone India launches Sturdo tyres, claims 29% longer life

Bridgestone India has launched India specific STURDO range of tyres. The company claims that the Sturdo-branded tyres have up to 29 percent longer life and would improve ride quality on uneven roads as well.

Quote:
Bridgestone India has launched the next-generation tyre, Bridgestone STURDO, in the Indian market. This set of tyres will specifically cater to the Passenger Vehicles Segment. Bridgestone mentioned that this tyre has a special tread compound that helps to extend tyre life by up to 29 per cent. Furthermore, it also helps in improving the ride quality on uneven roads as well. Bridgestone STURDO is currently available in 27 sizes ranging from 12″ to 16″ with multiple variants. With these tyres, Bridgestone will target it for the Hatchbacks, Sedans and certain CUVs market.
Source
Old 14th September 2022, 23:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Bridgestone India launches Sturdo tyres, claims 29% longer life

That's indeed a tall claim given India's road conditions! 29% longer life is real long.
Old 10th October 2022, 20:49   #3
BHPian

Wanted to check if anyone got these installed? How is the performance?
Recently went to check for available options similar to Michelin, was advised Sturdo over B250.

Got these installed, 4 tires 185/65/R15 for 25k including balancing and alignment.
The ride has become silent in comparison to 55k kms old Ceat Securadrive which were pathetic from the start (lot of noise and punctures).

Let's see how these perform and hold up!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th October 2022 at 13:48. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 2nd November 2022, 20:53   #4
BHPian

Re: Bridgestone India launches Sturdo tyres, claims 29% longer life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
Wanted to check if anyone got these installed? How is the performance?
Recently went to check for available options similar to Michelin, was advised Sturdo over B250.

Got these installed, 4 tires 185/65/R15 for 25k including balancing and alignment.
The ride has become silent in comparison to 55k kms old Ceat Securadrive which were pathetic from the start (lot of noise and punctures).

Let's see how these perform and hold up!
Thanks for sharing. Looks like it has been only a month that you got them installed but how is your review of the tyre ?
Old 11th November 2022, 16:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Thanks for sharing. Looks like it has been only a month that you got them installed but how is your review of the tyre ?
Too early to give a proper review. But the ride is pretty silent now (have only used Michelins previously), much much better than stock Ceat Secura Drives which were crap.

Hoping for a puncture free, less noise experience with these. Did not observe any drastic change in city mileage.

Will take it out for a highway trip for mileage update.
yogiii is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 07:32   #6
BANNED

Got them installed at 6500 per tyre. 4622 is the date of manufacture. Size 195 / 60 R15. Car 2015 Global Fiesta.

Initial road noise present. Will update after a long drive coming up this weekend.

Mod Note : Please proof read your post for typo / formatting errors before submitting the post.

Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd December 2022 at 10:28. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
Old 7th December 2022, 13:02   #7
BHPian

Got 4 nos Sturdo Tires for my Etios Platinum V, Size 185-60 R15. Done around 7000 km with them on Highways, Hills, Muddy, and Rough tracks.
Road grip - Good
Braking - V Good
Road roughness cushioning Good (better than stock tires)
Cornering No side slip on hills
Road noise on > 100 kmph Very Low (biggest concern)
Rough road (bad roads) performance Good
Price Rs 5500 per tire (special discount due to past relationship)
dgoyle is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 20:11   #8
BHPian

I got Bridgestone Sturdo for my new car as well, absence of Michelin is leading to lack of options.

I got Apollo Alnac 4G from showroom on Toyota Glanza, replaced them with same size Sturdo 195/55/R16, had to pay Rs 14,000 in addition for the exchange.
Old 27th December 2022, 10:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
I got Bridgestone Sturdo for my new car as well, absence of Michelin is leading to lack of options.

I got Apollo Alnac 4G from showroom on Toyota Glanza, replaced them with same size Sturdo 195/55/R16, had to pay Rs 14,000 in addition for the exchange.
Do post your initial impressions and comparison w.r.t. Alnac 4G
Old 27th December 2022, 13:10   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

29% longer life compared to what? Without reference it is a useless number.

I don’t think there is a standardised test for tyre life, I might be wrong of course.

I do know in the EU all tire manufacturers need to rate their tires against standards. So each tire has a rating for fuel efficiency, noise and wet weather brake performance. I don’t think I have ever seen anything on tyre life.

Even so, many Bridgestone tyres are good tyres. But it appears a bit of an empty claim to make without evidence or reference.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 14:09   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
29% longer life compared to what? Without reference it is a useless number.

I don’t think there is a standardised test for tyre life, I might be wrong of course.
The only standardised test for tyre life is the UTQG which is done for tyres sold in the US. It's pretty expensive to get it done (as it is done on a particular course which is effectively a monopoly and charge heftily, I'm attaching the test procedure (which is available on public domain on the NHTSA site)

[ATTACH=TP-UTQG-W-01.pdf]2394758[/ATTACH]

There's however the caveat that the "Treadwear" number stamped on the tyre sidewall - which should ideally be derived from this test - is a good indicator only for tyres sold in the US (as a result of how expensive the test is to conduct). On tyres sold in other markets, manufacturers usually just mention a low enough number that will not fail the test in case it is picked up by the US DoT to do an audit from a non-US market.

But yes to answer your question, this is as close as it gets to a standardised test where variables are limited - the test is done on a standardised course with a mix of different terrains, driving speed is specified, and results are measured against "Course Monitoring Tyres" provided by the NHTSA.

Quote:
I do know in the EU all tire manufacturers need to rate their tires against standards. So each tire has a rating for fuel efficiency, noise and wet weather brake performance. I don’t think I have ever seen anything on tyre life.
You're right, in Europe (where tyres have to comply with Reg. 117), it only specifies the 3 parameters you mentioned and there is nothing on tyre life.

Quote:
Even so, many Bridgestone tyres are good tyres. But it appears a bit of an empty claim to make without evidence or reference.

Jeroen
I think the below Disclaimer from the Bridgestone India site would answer your question - their claim is against their existing B290 sold in the Indian market.

Name:  Sturdo.JPG
Views: 2564
Size:  69.2 KB
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TP-UTQG-W-01.pdf (1.22 MB, 248 views)
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 15:23   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
The only standardised test for tyre life is the UTQG which is done for tyres sold in the US. It's pretty expensive to get it done (as it is done on a particular course which is effectively a monopoly and charge heftily, I'm attaching the test procedure (which is available on public domain on the NHTSA site)
Thanks, I was not aware that tires sold in the USA got tested for wear. Interesting.

I did find out, to my expense, tires in the USA differ from those in Europe. In 2012 when we were leaving the USA I had four brand new Michelin Pilot sport tires fitted to my Jaguar before shipping it to the Netherlands. Tires are a lot cheaper in the USA then in the Netherlands and these are quite expensive tires to start with. So I thought it would make sense.

Unfortunately, very soon afterwards with the Jaguar in the Netherlands I had a bad puncture which could not be repaired. So I had to get a new one. But the tire guy could not figure out why his Michelin PilotSports looked completely different from the ones on my Jaguar. Turns out the same tire is very different in term of profile and composition in the USA compared to EU. Long story short, I had to replace two tires to ensure a matching pair right and left

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 16:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I was not aware that tires sold in the USA got tested for wear. Interesting.

I did find out, to my expense, tires in the USA differ from those in Europe.

Turns out the same tire is very different in term of profile and composition in the USA compared to EU.

Jeroen
Absolutely, I'm not surprised. Wear testing is just one part, the US has very strict product recall laws and for a tyre manufacturer, it costs a lot of money to establish suitability of a product for the US market. Once released, a tyre in the US has a much longer product life cycle than in Europe or other geographies. This is why you rarely see the latest generation product of any brand being sold in the US.

Even when a latest gen. product is launched in the US, tyre manufacturers take a safety-first approach - in terms of composition and construction (like you mentioned). It's common to see products first launched in 2005 still on sale in the US market (navigate to oldest reviews on tire-rack and check) whereas even 7-8 years is a long time in Europe.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 14:08   #14

I replaced my four years old Yokohama earth 1 tyres on my Ford Ecosport Trend Plus Ecoboost size (195 65 R15) three months back. There is certainly a reduction in the tyre noise and much better comfort in rough roads. The braking has improved as it should be, since its a newer tyre. But could not compare it with Yokohama which I had to change at 23K Kms. So far so good and I had run 5K Kms with Bridgestone and will need to look at long term reliability and the comfort.
Old 25th February 2023, 14:53   #15
BHPian

I got the Bridgestone Sturdo tyres(size: 205/55/R16) for my 2016 skoda Octavia. It was earlier running on the Michelin Primacy 3ST which I had installed immediately after delivery of my new car. My car has covered more than 55000km on these primacy 3ST tyres and still a healthy tread was left. I had to change as the tyres had gotten old and had visible cracks. And from one of the tyres, air was slowly leaking out through a puncture which could not be repaired even after repeated attempts.
Unfortunately, I could not get Michelin Tyres in the same size, otherwise I would have opted for it. Opted for the Bridgestone sturdo tyres over the MRF Perfinza as I was not totally convinced with MRF.
axe_deo is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks