Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2022, 20:52   #16
BHPian

Re: Dealer sold me 4-year old tyres!

This is very clearly a case of cheating by the tyre dealer. Unless he offered a discount of more than 50% on these tyres and disclosed that this is old stock, he had no business selling such old tyres to an unsuspecting customer. What is worse is JK refusing warranty. If it is not against policy to sell such old tyres then the warranty should be honored. If it is against company policy to sell tyres older than x months then JK should anyways immediately replace the tyres ( because their appointed agent violated company policy ) and penalize the dealer. In both cases the customer should not have to suffer
Old 15th October 2022, 23:00   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Unlike edibles, these products don't have an expiry or Best by date.
But shouldn't they have expiry dates stamped on them? Since synthetic rubber does age and degrade over time with exposure to thermal cycles and other environmental factors. This will alter the properties of the compound and is detrimental to the traction and usable life of the tyre.

Since we can't always have a clear picture on how the tyres were stored by the dealer, it is better to avoid tyres that had been sitting for too long. I personally won't choose to buy a tyre older than 1 - 1.5 years even if there are discounts.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 15th October 2022 at 23:02.
Old 15th October 2022, 23:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
But shouldn't they have expiry dates stamped on them? Since synthetic rubber does age and degrade over time with exposure to thermal cycles and other environmental factors. This will alter the properties
Unmounted tyres can have a shelf life of 15 years. If it is mentioned on the tyre, people, especially tyre dealers will misuse it. Even users will try to use them for full 15 years.
The moment rubber hits the road, the shelf life can be around 3 years for a tyre seeing regular heat cold cycle (irrespective of the tread depth) or 10 years for tyres that do not drive much.

That's why tyres or even engine oils etc do not have an expiry date mentioned on them. There is huge difference when they are on shelf and when they are being used. This is my assumption, someone from the tire industry will know better.

The dealers image that the thread owner shared is a big enough proof of how ill kept the tyres would be. They are all stacked one above the other with 7,8 or even more in each stack. The ones at the bottom have a huge load to carry. They cannot be filled with air to support this load either.
The correct way to store them is standing in individual slots on a rack. Again, someone from tire industry can better educate on this matter.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 16th October 2022 at 00:02.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 00:29   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
But shouldn't they have expiry dates stamped on them? Since synthetic rubber does age and degrade over time with exposure to thermal cycles and other environmental factors. This will alter the properties of the compound and is detrimental to the traction and usable life of the tyre.
Technically, yes. But in real life, even a car has an expiry date of 10-15 years from the date of its registration and not the date of manufacture.

Here, since JK tyres doesn't have a clearly specified regulation around the warranty from date of manufacture, they should honour the warranty. If they do then they should specify them clearly so the dealer is taken to task.
Quote:
Since we can't always have a clear picture on how the tyres were stored by the dealer, it is better to avoid tyres that had been sitting for too long. I personally won't choose to buy a tyre older than 1 - 1.5 years even if there are discounts.
The onus is on the buyer to pick up the latest stock, whether one is buying a shirt, a tyre or a laptop.

Last edited by ashis89 : 16th October 2022 at 00:32.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 08:52   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
The dealers image that the thread owner shared is a big enough proof of how ill kept the tyres would be. They are all stacked one above the other with 7,8 or even more in each stack. The ones at the bottom have a huge load to carry. They cannot be filled with air to support this load either.
The correct way to store them is standing in individual slots on a rack. Again, someone from tire industry can better educate on this matter.
An aside trivia - In aviation we keep tyres (a) standing vertically, individually, on a rack and even on that rack they are rotated every few days; (b) stored in a dark air conditioned room kept at 17 degrees centigrade. The cold and dark help preserve it from deterioration.
V.Narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 00:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
JK warranty policy copied from their site-
"Passenger Car tyres (Bias & Radial) For a period of five years from the date of manufacture or from the date of invoice (Proof of purchase is required), or till the tyre tread is worn up to Tread Wear Indicators (TWI), which ever is earlier, irrespective of kilometer covered"
Seems like you’re covered since you have the invoice. Have you quoted this to the manufacturer?
Old 17th October 2022, 07:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Friends,
After alignment and balancing car was always dragging to left. Tried re alignment 4 times with Madhu's,after putting their best of the best efforts they declared that issue is with the tyre or its pattern and advised to contact JK team.
Were the 4 tyres road force balanced with numbers to 'declare' defects or non-compliance of specs...
with regards to vehicle dragging to the left?

Imho it is 'usual' to encounter vehicle pulling to one side (left in this case) phenomenon right AFTER a wheel alignment job having green readings all over, not suggesting such vehicle pulling phenomenon as 'normal and acceptable' though.

Without a display of alignment numbers and specific details, my hunch is this vehicle pull phenomenon is alignment related.

Last edited by zeng : 17th October 2022 at 07:38.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 15:37   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
Were the 4 tyres road force balanced with numbers to 'declare' defects or non-compliance of specs...
with regards to vehicle dragging to the left?

Imho it is 'usual' to encounter vehicle pulling to one side (left in this case) phenomenon right AFTER a wheel alignment job having green readings all over, not suggesting such vehicle pulling phenomenon as 'normal and acceptable' though.

Without a display of alignment numbers and specific details, my hunch is this vehicle pull phenomenon is alignment related.
We have done all possible matrix to resolve this issue. Now changed all tyres to Michelin and its running straight
Neither JK nor its Dealer bothered to resolve the issue so i decided to pay for my mistake of not checking the date.
Thanks
Rajith is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 01:42   #24

It is disheartening to note that such malpractices are still employed by tyre dealers putting the customer at high risk of untoward incidents on our horribly maintained roads.

On a side note, since you have a valid bill, have you explored legal recourse? The dealer has sold you a lemon without explicitly mentioning the almost none warranty period and with no discounts suggesting a clearance sale. Suggest that you make both the dealer & the company respond in consumer court with litigation costs on them.
Old 20th October 2022, 04:26   #25
BHPian

Quote:
We have done all possible matrix to resolve this issue. Now changed all tyres to Michelin and its running straight
Neither JK nor its Dealer bothered to resolve the issue so i decided to pay for my mistake of not checking the date.
Thanks
Glad to hear that you've overcome the problem which seems to be not alignment related at the end of the day.

Edit:
After new tyre replacement do you have the wheel alignment checked and adjustment made?

If yes, mind sharing the wheel alignment report?

Last edited by zeng : 20th October 2022 at 04:42.
Old 20th October 2022, 06:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:

"Passenger Car tyres (Bias & Radial) For a period of five years from the date of manufacture or from the date of invoice (Proof of purchase is required), or till the tyre tread is worn up to Tread Wear Indicators (TWI), which ever is earlier, irrespective of kilometer covered"

Your invoice is dated 8 Feb 2022 and manufacture date is 3318 and 5 years to that will be 32 week of year 2023.
So shouldn't the tires be under warranty upto 7 Feb 2023 assuming it has one year warranty?

So what I am missing here?

Last edited by neeraj0272 : 20th October 2022 at 06:17.
Old 21st October 2022, 10:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
Your invoice is dated 8 Feb 2022 and manufacture date is 3318 and 5 years to that will be 32 week of year 2023.
So shouldn't the tires be under warranty upto 7 Feb 2023 assuming it has one year warranty?

So what I am missing here?
Hi, Just to clarify - what is mentioned in JK's website is a 5 year manufacturing defect warranty, which is different from Unconditional Warranty (which is typically for a smaller period from date of manufacture). You can check JK's social media handles where they have mentioned that UCW is only for 3 years from date of manufacture. I must admit though that this is very ambiguous and not properly spelt out, I'm able to understand this without much confusion only because I work in the same industry.

Had mentioned the difference between UCW and "regular" warranty in a different post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post

“Regular” warranty covers manufacturing defects, like separation of the different components (tread, belts, bead, etc.) for a specified period from date of manufacture - 5 years for most brands.
Had it been within 3 years from date of manufacture, the OP would have got an instant replacement, like how another BHPian got for his stock Creta tyre (documented below).

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...-warranty.html (Sidewall issues, Warranty or FNG? | Update: JK Tyres replaced tyre under unconditional warranty)

Last edited by RubberGuru1113 : 21st October 2022 at 10:48.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 20:57   #28
BHPian

Slightly OT, I have always wonderd if my spare tyre will deteriorate due to lack of usage. The spare is mounted on the outside and is constantly subjected to the elements. Should I put it on and drive every once in a while?
Old 21st October 2022, 21:18   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJack View Post
Slightly OT, I have always wonderd if my spare tyre will deteriorate due to lack of usage. The spare is mounted on the outside and is constantly subjected to the elements. Should I put it on and drive every once in a while?
If you are maintaining the air pressure, nothing is needed.
Standard rotation process should be followed though.
Even rotation is not needed for some, as spares coming with few cars are of different size and not usable for prolonged duration.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 02:48   #30

Out here, as per government mandate, tyres have a 5 year sell by date, else they must be scrapped by the dealer. Hence once they are 1 year un sold, dealers offer deals like buy 3 get 1free. After 18 months, its buy 2 get 2. I got a good deal on 4 nos of 275x50R20 Hankook tyres at 50% off regular price of new manufactured ones for 18 month old tyres. Plus a decent amount of cash back via shopping vouchers from a well known supermarket...
Indiguy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks