Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2007, 10:30   #1
BHPian

Alloys on My Wagon R (help please)

Hi All,

This is my first post on Team-BHP. I saw this site while I was browsing on the internet. I found the site very informative. At the same time I was planning to change my vehicle's stock tyres to Alloys (I have a 2004 Wagon-R Vxi).

After looking at various threads I decided to go for Michelin tubeless & decent alloys. I wanted to stick to the original size 155/65/13. However Touqeer at Auto Fusion, Koramangala advised me to go for the next oversize 165/70/13. I put in the oversize tyres, but last night I realized the tyre touch the body on rough roads.

Now I want to know if any of you faced this problem. Do I need to go back to the original size. Touqeer said the original size will damage my alloys as the wall is not very big. Is this true?

Please help me, I am totally confused......
Old 6th July 2007, 12:47   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
Hi All,

This is my first post on Team-BHP. I saw this site while I was browsing on the internet. I found the site very informative. At the same time I was planning to change my vehicle's stock tyres to Alloys (I have a 2004 Wagon-R Vxi).

After looking at various threads I decided to go for Michelin tubeless & decent alloys. I wanted to stick to the original size 155/65/13. However Touqeer at Auto Fusion, Koramangala advised me to go for the next oversize 165/70/13. I put in the oversize tyres, but last night I realized the tyre touch the body on rough roads.

Now I want to know if any of you faced this problem. Do I need to go back to the original size. Touqeer said the original size will damage my alloys as the wall is not very big. Is this true?

Please help me, I am totally confused......
I am very sorry..... My upgraded tyre size is 166/65/13 & not 165/70/13. Please suggest what I need to do...........
Old 6th July 2007, 13:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am very sorry..... My upgraded tyre size is 166/65/13 & not 165/70/13. Please suggest what I need to do...........
Wonder where you got that 166/65/R13 size from . Am guessing its a typo.

The best thing that one could do is to install spacers for the car.Installing spacers will give you a height advantage of roughly an inch.

Check with any of the MASS chaps and they should be able to help you out.

Metal spacers will cost you around 1k /-(for all for wheels) and rubber spacers should cost you about 600/- bucks.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 6th July 2007 at 13:07.
Old 6th July 2007, 13:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Wonder where you got that 166/65/R13 size from . Am guessing its a typo.

The best thing that one could do is to install spacers for the car.Installing spacers will give you a height advantage of roughly an inch.

Check with any of the MASS chaps and they should be able to help you out.

Metal spacers will cost you around 1k /-(for all for wheels) and rubber spacers should cost you about 600/- bucks.

Oops ........... The tyre size is 165/65/R13....... Can you please help me with the address and number of this MASS...

Will increasing the height lead to any problem???
Old 6th July 2007, 13:32   #5
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
Check the width of your alloys. If they are either 4.5J or 5J then you should go back to stock size tyres (155/65 R13). I am running stock size 155/70 R13 size tyres on 5J alloys in my Santro without any problems, and this is quite legitimate.

If your alloys are 5.5J then it is not advisable to mount 155/65 tyres. In that case I suggest you look for 165/60 R13 tyres; these are more difficult to get than 165/65 R13, but I know for sure that this size exists (I have seen an imported Japanese Bridgestone tyre of this size). That should hopefully solve your fouling problem, and in fact 165/60 R13 is the correct upsize for Wagon R.

If you can't get 165/60 R13 tyres and your alloys are 5.5J, my advice is to exchange your alloys for 5J width. These are more optimal for Wagon R, and I would also prefer the stock size tyres (155/65 R13). Make sure that your alloys have the correct offset. If the offset is too low the wheel will jut out of the wheel well and may foul with the wheel arch upon turning. If the offset is too high, the wheel will go too far into the wheel well and may foul with the brake callipers or suspension/steering components.

Last edited by rks : 6th July 2007 at 13:43.
Old 6th July 2007, 13:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Take it back to whoever suggested this & ask him to rectify it.
Old 6th July 2007, 13:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Take it back to whoever suggested this & ask him to rectify it.
John you must be joking.

Quote:
Can you please help me with the address and number of this MASS
MASS = Maruti Authorized Service Station .

Quote:
Will increasing the height lead to any problem???
I have never faced any handling issues with my old car.

I suggested spacers is only because, am pretty sure your dealer wont be ready to exchange the current set. You have no choice but continue using the same.
Old 6th July 2007, 14:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
John you must be joking.
No, I am not riju. Seriously, if a dealer suggested this, then he should be the one to answer this question. He should be knowing exactly why he said it.
Old 6th July 2007, 16:18   #9
BHPian

Thanks bro for all your suggestions. I checked with a Service Manager of Advaith. He advised me not to add spacers.

I feel very sad now after spending all that money and things not working out. Has anyone else had this problem on Wagon R with 165/65/R13 sized tyres?
Old 6th July 2007, 17:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Manoj,
Recently infact a week back changed my stock 12" foot wear to 13" League Alloys on Michelin 165/65r13 and i did not face this problem though i was very skeptical about it initially...i think the ride would be fine for 4 ...mine is an alto vxi 1.1

and as styles pointed out....there are no 166/65/r13 ..it goes as....145,155,165,175,195,205 ...so on and so forth...
and i did take a corner on the domlur flyover with 3 people @ almost slightly more than 90KMPH and it was fine...
Old 6th July 2007, 18:04   #11
rks
BANNED

@manojgautham, I think you should first establish precisely where the fouling is occurring as you pass over rough roads. Is it a case of the tyres hitting the wheel wells? If so, the solution might be to change the tyres as I pointed out. It could be something simple like the tyres touching the mud flaps. In that case the solution is to remove the mud flaps.

But on rough roads, the tyre sidewalls could flex and foul with the brake callipers or steering/suspension components on the inside of the wheel, if the offset of the alloy wheels that you have chosen is too high. Or else, the front tyres could foul with the wheel wells upon turning if the wheel offset is too low. In these cases the problem could be solved by going back to stock tyres, but if that doesn't work, then you might have to change your alloy wheels.

My suggestion is to take the car to a well-equipped, reputed tyre shop and have all the clearances checked from the underside, including while turning and also check for any fouling marks on the wheels/tyres. You will need to allow for sidewall flex of the tyre, so a minimunm clearance on the inside would be necessary in order to avoid fouling. This might help you figure out the problem.
Old 6th July 2007, 18:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Completely agree with what rks has suggested. rks his options are limited now since he has already installed them and his dealer wont exchange them.

Issue is with the sidewall as you mentioned. He has got 165/65/R13 and thats the main reason for scrapping.

Quote:
I checked with a Service Manager of Advaith. He advised me not to add spacers.
Is Advaith a MASS ? Pardon me ignorance . What was his reason given not to add spacers ?
I hope he never said the FE might go down .
Quote:
and i did take a corner on the domlur flyover with 3 people @ almost slightly more than 90KMPH and it was fine.
He was asking about the handling after installing spacers.
Check here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/349325-post99.html

I had the exact same problem and spacers was the only solution.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 6th July 2007 at 18:24.
Old 6th July 2007, 19:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Completely agree with what rks has suggested. rks his options are limited now since he has already installed them and his dealer wont exchange them.

Issue is with the sidewall as you mentioned. He has got 165/65/R13 and thats the main reason for scrapping.

Is Advaith a MASS ? Pardon me ignorance . What was his reason given not to add spacers ?
Not exactly, the Service manager at advaith is my very old friend, so I thought I'll ask him for advice....
I hope he never said the FE might go down .
He was asking about the handling after installing spacers.
He said the handling will be bad after adding spacers.
Check here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/349325-post99.html

I had the exact same problem and spacers was the only solution.
Let me check the thread mentioned
Old 6th July 2007, 20:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

check with johy, he has also fitted alloys in his wagonR very recently.
Old 6th July 2007, 20:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

No authorised service station will give you spacers. They don't advise these modifications as they void warranty. How old is your vehicle?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks