Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 21:12   #1
BHPian

Upgrades for Verna VGT

Hi all,

Waiting for my Verna CRDI ABS in two weeks time. Meanwhile I am considering to go for better tires and alloys. I have seen other threads like this. But, I still have a few queries:

- Is it absolutely necessary to go for wider tires on verna? I heard a lot about handling problems. I don't see me cornering at high speeds too often, though. Any first hand exp will be very helpful.
- Considering 195/60/14. Should I even consider 205?? I don't like it too flashy, though.
- Heard a few names - Bridgestone Potenza GIII, Yoko, etc. I am looking for comfort and maximum grip. Which would you suggest?
- Can I run the new tires for sometime on the steel wheel without any issues, till I am ready for alloys?
- Which alloy without running into issues with insurance? Should it be approved by the dealer?
- The dealer is quoting 17K for 5 set of GIII as buyback for the new tires. Is this ok? Any indicative prices would be very helpful.

Did I ask too many questions? All suggestions will be of great help.

Thnx
Old 9th July 2007, 22:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Kruzader - First of all congraulations on your new car, it's a good car with a lovely engine! Now to answer your questions, let me tackle them one by one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzader View Post
- Is it absolutely necessary to go for wider tires on verna? I heard a lot about handling problems. I don't see me cornering at high speeds too often, though. Any first hand exp will be very helpful.
Not really if you're not into driving her around fast & cornering at high speeds. It completely depends on your driving style & preferences. Also remember wider tyres will make a marginal difference to your FE figures.

Quote:
- Considering 195/60/14. Should I even consider 205?? I don't like it too flashy, though.
195's are perfect, 205's will touch under loads, so not recommended.

Quote:
- Heard a few names - Bridgestone Potenza GIII, Yoko, etc. I am looking for comfort and maximum grip. Which would you suggest?
Maximum Grip & Comfort are usually mutually exclusive so choose one which you value more & we can recommend some nice tyres to you. Also let me explain that while a Comfort tyre will have good grip but in comparison a Performance tyre will have much better grip albeit the comfort will also decrease.

Quote:
- Can I run the new tires for sometime on the steel wheel without any issues, till I am ready for alloys?
Yes, if you choose to stick to 14"s then it should not be a problem.

Quote:
- Which alloy without running into issues with insurance? Should it be approved by the dealer?
No & No. No need to get it approved & Insurance companies don't even ask about such things. They are very commonplace now.

Quote:
- The dealer is quoting 17K for 5 set of GIII as buyback for the new tires. Is this ok? Any indicative prices would be very helpful.
What size have you been quoted for?

Quote:
Did I ask too many questions? All suggestions will be of great help.
No you did not ask too many questions. Hope the above helps, if you have any more queries feel free to fire away!
Old 10th July 2007, 08:24   #3
BHPian

Thanks iraghava for the wishes and quick answers.

- What are the comfort high speeds after which it becomes edgy with the default 175 tires? Or rather what is the max cruising speed of verna?
- Which tire would be a good all round one? Which would have good comfort and good grip?
- Will 195/60/R14 give us wrong odo readings? Is this really an issue?
- The quote was for Bridgestone Potenza GIII 195/60/14. Looks Ok??
- I heard something about ARAI certification. Any idea what this is??
Old 14th July 2007, 20:02   #4
BHPian

I got a quote of 3200/- for 195/60/14 Yokohoma ES100 as an exchange for the default 175 tires. He is offering 1500/- each for the old tires making it 8500 for the new ones. Is this a good offer? Should I also consider Michelline? Heard it is very soft but has very good grip.
Old 14th July 2007, 20:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Are the tyres with B & W?
Old 14th July 2007, 20:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Are the tyres with B & W?
Not really sure. I am assuming it to be. Will ask... Does this matter?
Old 16th July 2007, 21:48   #7
BHPian

Any other suggestions? I am expecting to take the delivery this weekend.
Which ones would you suggest in Yokohoma and Michelin with reasons?
Old 20th July 2007, 11:03   #8
BHPian

people speak about a verna being unstable at high speeds.
is there ANY truth in this?
i turned moderately at 120+ and dint feel any unstability so asking for knowledge.
Old 21st July 2007, 21:32   #9
BHPian

I took the delivery of my Verna SX CRDI ABS yesterday! While booking the vehicle, I had told the sales person that I don't want MRF ZVTS, which is the default tyre for VGT. Infact, I told him that I won't take the delivery if it comes with MRF. Yesterday, when I got the car, it was fitted with Bridgestone! And guess what, it came with 185/65/R14 instead of 175/70. So, I decided not to upgrade till I feel its necessity. For this, obviously I will have to wait till the break in period is over.

Anyways, I am very happy. The car simply rocks!! For any handling problems to be visible, I will have to drive her hard. More reports on this will follow... I guess it all depends on your driving style too. Thanx folks for all the suggestions. Will be Bakk with more queries soon!
Old 22nd July 2007, 00:16   #10
BHPian

It surely needs fatter rubber for the power it has... I hv smashed a brand new Verna sliding sideways. If it had better rubber then there were higher chances of me avoiding it.
Old 22nd July 2007, 00:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

As Iraghava has advised, the best upsize is the next available width o rthe next to next. Not thicker than that under any case. It is a myth that the fatter the tyres with lower profiles, it will gicve better handling. Wrong upsize might lead to nudging the wheel wells and even scraping the sides of the well, reduced FE, wrong odo readings, aquaplanning, hard handling, strain on the suspension and a harder ride, as an upsize will mostly be accompanied with a lowering of profile. So plan the upsize and get tyres with a good speed rating and load component to match your style and pattern of driving.
Old 22nd July 2007, 21:26   #12
BHPian

Ok. I understand the need to go atleast 195... But, I am waiting for enough funds to go all alloys and 195 at the same time. Probably, will wait for another 2 months before upgrading. I have shortlisted 2 tyres - Michelin XM1 Energy and Yokohama ES 100. Though they are slightly different, what would be your choice given the car?
Old 4th August 2007, 20:17   #13
BHPian

Need some major advice here folks.. Pls help.
Today, I went looking for alloys & tyres. The guy over there was really pressing hard for going R15 on the verna. He claims he has fitted many vernas and R15 will be the ideal match for it. The tyres suggested were 195/55/15 or 205/55. He also said that good alloys do not come in R14 and suggested some lenso rims. The quote was 21000 for 5. I told him that I want only steel wheel for the spare but he insisted for all 5.

For tyres, the quote that I got was 4750 a piece for Michelin Pilot Primacy/ Preceda (195/55/15). Others are not available in this size now. Another tyre which is available is the Yoko S.drive for 3800/-. How is this tyre? Also, should I go for 5 tyres or 4 + 1 any normal one as the spare?

So, the question is should I stick with R14 and not think about R15 at all? If it is R15, what size should I be looking at? Actually, in the car user manual I can see one of the tyre options as 195/55/R15. So, I am confused. I am very interested in the michelin pilot series and I believe they are not there for R14. Any other choice of tyres?
Old 4th August 2007, 23:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

The Pilot Preceda's are available in 14" but only couple of sizes. One is 195/60-14 for sure.

Yoko S Drive is a good tyre. You should definitely consider it & its a VFM product.
Old 5th August 2007, 10:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
The Pilot Preceda's are available in 14" but only couple of sizes. One is 195/60-14 for sure.

Yoko S Drive is a good tyre. You should definitely consider it & its a VFM product.
185/60 R14
195/60 R14
195/50 R15
205/50 R15
205/60 R15
225/50 R16
225/45 R17
235/45 R17
All above sizes are available in PP/PP2.

One of my friends has got fitted S.drives, he swears by them.
S.drives come with a rim protector as well that will protect rim damages by pot holes.

Happy and safe motoring..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks