Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 09:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried
235\75\R15 on a Bolero?
I am getting Yokohoma Geolanders AT\S in that size.

I wanted 235\70\R15 however Yokohoma is not available in that size.

I am ok with slightly taller gearing,and a little more GC is always welcome but i dont want the tyres to foul with fenders.

Can i go ahead with 235\75\R15?
these would be used on a new one once we buy it.
Old 21st April 2010, 11:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Has anyone tried
235\75\R15 on a Bolero?
I am getting Yokohoma Geolanders AT\S in that size.

I wanted 235\70\R15 however Yokohoma is not available in that size.

I am ok with slightly taller gearing,and a little more GC is always welcome but i dont want the tyres to foul with fenders.

Can i go ahead with 235\75\R15?
these would be used on a new one once we buy it.
oh sure go ahead with the 235 upgrade.it will not foul withh the fenders suspension etc.
darxide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2010, 17:00   #33

YOKOHAMA Geolander 235/75/15

Hello Akshay4587,
I had recently fitted YOKOHAMA Geolander 235/75/15 on EVO 15'' Alloys for my Bolero SLX. It looks muscular and I am very happy with the exteriors looks of it. It provides increased road grip and high breaking confidence.

But the minus would be the water splashing on the sides, if there are water stagnent on road it reaches the front front windscreen and until the rear window. Also if you are using the vehicle for driving off roads, please add up extra plates to the rear suspention or add extra bush. If not the tyre touches the rear body on drving over big humps in normal loads.

I hope this helps. happy driving
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Bolero : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-web-large-1.jpg  

Mahindra Bolero : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-web-large-2.jpg  

Old 29th November 2010, 20:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

hi guys,
need suggestions for bolero tyre up size in 16".

stock size 215/75/R15 on steel rims.

best alternative is 215/70/R16 but afaik its not available. (?)

available sizes that i know are,
  • 215/65/R16 (MRF)
  • 235/70/R16 (MRF & BFG)
help.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Bolero : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-j.jpg  

Old 6th December 2010, 17:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

no alloys.

got 4 MRF ZIGMA-GP's at 4,800/- per tyre. (215/75/R15)

also had a small accident.
Mahindra Bolero : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1.jpg

Mahindra Bolero : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-2.jpg

Mahindra Bolero : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-3.jpg

Mahindra Bolero : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-4.jpg

Old 6th December 2010, 22:46   #36

Great buy, being 215 range I am sure you wouldn't require additional alteration to make sure tyre doesn't touch the body while off roading. Planning to fit them on Alloy wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
no alloys.

got 4 MRF ZIGMA-GP's at 4,800/- per tyre. (215/75/R15)

also had a small accident.
Attachment 464923

Attachment 464924

Attachment 464925

Attachment 464926

Old 10th January 2011, 22:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra Bolero : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

By April 2009, my Bolero SLX had done 52,000 Km and taken quite a bit of abuse off road and a couple of mountain trips. The Original CEAT Formula 1 radials were worn out now.

I bought a set of 4 original steel rims from Mahindra dealership and selected Yokohama Geolander tyres, original size 215/75/ R15 ( Tubeless radials ). Bridgestone Dueler H/T was avalable both tubeless and normal, but after inspecting the tread pattern I decided Yokohama was the best for my kind of needs for frequent off road and unprepared track driving.

I was a bit apprehensive about Yokohama because I was not happy with Geolander 275/70/R16 I had installed on my Prado LWB. Toyota dealership in Dubai had let me have them free ( from a test set ) when they took off and sent my Toyo Tranpath 265/70/R16 set to Japan for testing after running it 40,000 Km on my vehicle. I used to run them at 26 psi, and off road in the desert mostly at 16 psi.

The cornering and turning was not good. There was screching and boom on braking and turning.

I gave it up after 5,000 KM and fitted Micky Thompson Baja Radials insted prior to back to back sponsorship deals with Bridgestone ( 2 Years, when I went through 2 sets of AT 693 driving 105,000 Km ), Toyo for 2 Years and Dunlop Grandtrek 2006 onwards.

But this set of Yokohama Geolanders are very good and I have no complaints so far.

And here's a pic from the yester years!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Bolero : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_1210.jpg  

Last edited by desertfox : 10th January 2011 at 22:42.
Old 15th February 2013, 23:17   #38
BHPian

My Bolero - Tyre upsize dilema!!

Hey guys,

I brought a new bolero last month. Its presented with a new set of alloys and now thinking of some serious tire upsize. The stock is 215/75/R15. Tyre dealer has suggested to go with Yoko geolander 255/70/R15. But heard a lot about tyre fouling with fenders, under body scrapping etc... I need some suggession from you folks as i badly need to upgrade my tires to a much bigger size, but these issues are pushing me back. Posting some pics of my new acquisition.

Mahindra Bolero : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-147437.jpg

Mahindra Bolero : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-147438.jpg

Mahindra Bolero : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-147439.jpg

Mahindra Bolero : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-147440.jpg

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th February 2013 at 03:29. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 16:13   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Hey guys,

I brought a new bolero last month. Its presented with a new set of alloys and now thinking of some serious tire upsize. The stock is 215/75/R15. Tyre dealer has suggested to go with Yoko geolander 255/70/R15. But heard a lot about tyre fouling with fenders, under body scrapping etc... I need some suggession from you folks as i badly need to upgrade my tires to a much bigger size, but these issues are pushing me back. Posting some pics of my new acquisition.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.
Why so you need a bigger size? Having owned a Bolero for quite a while, some years ago, to me it seems like total overkill and 255 is way too huge!
Steering the Bolero with those huge tyres will be like steering a truck. Quite unnecessary and not worth it at all, because it will over time, ruin the suspension setup and certainly the fuel efficiency. There are possibilities of big service bills into the future with such incorrect tyre upsizes.
If you absolutely must upsize, then go for the Scorpio spec 235 in 15 inch rim size. That would be more than enough.
However, I would urge you to write to one of our experts here like nikhilb2008 who will guide you better.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 09:05   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Why so you need a bigger size? Having owned a Bolero for quite a while, some years ago, to me it seems like total overkill and 255 is way too huge!
Steering the Bolero with those huge tyres will be like steering a truck. Quite unnecessary and not worth it at all, because it will over time, ruin the suspension setup and certainly the fuel efficiency. There are possibilities of big service bills into the future with such incorrect tyre upsizes.
If you absolutely must upsize, then go for the Scorpio spec 235 in 15 inch rim size. That would be more than enough.
However, I would urge you to write to one of our experts here like nikhilb2008 who will guide you better.
Thanks for your advice Shankar. Yestrday i brought Geolandar 235/70/R15 an is pretty happy with the looks and performance. I guess braking has improved a lot from the OE tyres. No under bodys scraping with full load as i have checked extensively with few of my friends taking my vehcile to some of the extreme terrains.....Over all Iam a happy customer!
highwaypatrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 12:24   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darxide View Post
i couldnt find good tires in the 255 size so i went ahead and took the risk of buying 275/60/15.
i then found it impossible to find a smart set of alloys in the 15"inch size-(seems that dealers no longer stock new 15" rims in 160 pcd).
lost patience and fitted them on my original steel rims. fortunately this size as warned by many tbhp members do not foul with body panels and suspension,nor have i seen any drop in fuel efficiency.
Opening a pretty old post, but by the look of the tyres, these don't look like as broad as 275 section tyre. Are you sure, you wanted to mean 275/60 ?

Just curious ..
Old 7th May 2017, 12:33   #42
BHPian

Need some urgent advise folks.
Its time for tyre change on my bolero, and looking at going for 235/75 R15.
Confused betwen HT and AT.
Usage is mostly highways / city and some bad rural roads / estate roads. can say 80:20.
Should I go for AT or HT is sufficient?
Is there very big difference in ride quality and comfort between HT and AT?
For AT looking at Geolander and HT - Falken Wildpeak.
Have a long trip coming up and would like to change before that.
Old 7th May 2017, 13:19   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93000BHP View Post
Usage is mostly highways / city and some bad rural roads / estate roads. can say 80:20.
I used 235/75/R15 Michelin LTX AT for some time in my Bolero and now its running on 235/70/R16 Bridgestone Dueler HT. I would highly recommend to go for Michelin. I think LTX AT is no longer available in 235/75/R15 size, but LTX Force will be available. Link - http://www.michelin.in/IN/en/tyres/p...tx-force1.html
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 06:25   #44
BHPian

Thank you BlackPearl. Believe LTX Force is also an AT tyre.
My confusion is whether to go for AT or HT.
How is the ride comfort with AT on tarmac.
Old 8th May 2017, 07:25   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93000BHP View Post
Some two bits from me, having owned and enjoyed a Bolero Sportz (2WD) from 2005 and 2008.

The Standard tyre size is 215/75/15. More often than not, one gets Bridgestone Dueler HT with the Bolero, as with the Scorpio - and these tyres are really very tough, being made of a slightly harder compound that the Michelins and Pirellis and even Continentals and Falkens and these will go on for 50K kms plus across all types of terrain.

When one puts alloy wheels onto the Bolero, as I did, even these standard tyres tend to stick out a bit, so for example in case you have your arm on the window sill with the windows down, when driving through a bit of water or slush, you can reasonably expect a good coating of muck on your arm.

If one absolutely must upsize, then your choice of 235/75/15 (which is the standard tyre size for the Scorpio), is sensible because it is the maximum that one "should" go to. Anything bigger than this and the whole Bolero vehicle looks ungainly and over the top, not to mention the strain it puts on the already overworked suspension and steering components. One doesn't realise the strain because of power steering but the parts will likely wear out much faster than they would, with stock tyres.The fat tyres look great no doubt, but I would not go beyond the indicated size.

Assuming you also have the 2WD Bolero and with your indicated usage of 80:20 Highways/ City Roads: Rural/Broken/ Estate roads, the Bridgestone 235/75/15 will probably give you the best value of all and HT is perfectly adequate for most of the types of terrain that one would, in the normal course, traverse.

The Bolero is quite heavy and even though it has a lot of grunt, it does slip like the blazes on steepish, wet, grassy tracks, slush and loose surfaces and causes severe wear and tear on the clutch.Here's where the AT tyre treads will help you.

However, in city and on the highway, these fatter AT tyres will give you lots of road noise and tyre flap, which can get irritating. If they are of a softer compound, they will wear out more quickly and sustain plenty of damage on our broken surfaces and stones etc as compared with the harder ones.

I think, to satisfy your own desires for the most part, you should consider the harder compound tyres in HT Tread pattern, and in the 235/75/15 size, to get yourself some longer lasting value.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks