Team-BHP - Changed to Michelin Energy XM1 from almost new Goodyear NCT-5
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Changed to Michelin Energy XM1 from almost new Goodyear NCT-5 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/26342-changed-michelin-energy-xm1-almost-new-goodyear-nct-5-a.html)

Hi Guys,

just returned after changing my Petra's less than 11000 KMs old Goodyear NCT-5 tyres to Michelin XM1. I would drive a bit around and than post review on performance. On the face of it the ride is ultra comfortable and no road noise. Michelin claims 10% reduction is fuel consumption due to patented silicom compound...lets see.

Reason for change: Second time one of the tyre had sidewall cut in normal driving conditions. I just replaced a tyre for sidewall cut about 2 months ago and this time during my Badrinath-Kedarnath trip the same tyre (less than 500KMs) again had a sidewall cut after hitting a pothole at 70KMPH on Meerut bypass. So I lost my confidence in Goodyear NCT5s.

The size is same as before i.e. 185/65/R-14 rated-H.

Regards,
-Rishi

We are eagerly waiting for your long term review and also on whether there is any improvement in FE as michelin claims.

Hi Rishi !!

Even i have Goodyear NCT5 on my Aveo ... driven 12000 kms and not satisfied with the grip and stability at above normal speeds (80 - 100).

I understand that Petra must be heavier than Aveo but did you experience any such issues as (you must have read my thread) i am also going for Bridgestones ER300 which come standard with Aveo now.

Or let me know any specific reason why you changed to Michellin.

Thanks !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by namit (Post 499919)
Hi Rishi !!

Even i have Goodyear NCT5 on my Aveo ... driven 12000 kms and not satisfied with the grip and stability at above normal speeds (80 - 100).

I understand that Petra must be heavier than Aveo but did you experience any such issues as (you must have read my thread) i am also going for Bridgestones ER300 which come standard with Aveo now.

Or let me know any specific reason why you changed to Michellin.

Thanks !!

SWATHYD: I dont drive Petra on weekdays we only use it for long travel, so FE test would take a while.

NAMIT: I am driving Michelin on my automatic Lancer and I am really impressed with its comfort and safety. I had to brake hard once in bad weather (heavy rains) at 100/110 and the car safely navigated me. The road noise is virtually zero.

NCT-5s though offer okay ride comfort but are unpredictable in wet conditions. At high speed drives (175 on NE-1) they maintained grip. I really got pissed off by 2 sidewall cuts thus lost confidence in NCT5.

Michelin though expansive delivers what is expected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor (Post 501359)
Michelin though expansive delivers what is expected.

How much did it cost for a tyre?
What can be the expected price of 195/60/R14?
I am getting quote of Rs 4150 in Bangalore? Is the price right?
Similar size Potenza GIII costs Rs3400 per tyre.

Energy XM1 in 195/60 R14 should be around 3.5k, give or take a couple of hundred bucks. 4.15k is TOO high, for comparison I got Pilot Preceda's in 195/60 R14 for 4k each.

I got my XM1 for about 3.5, a little less maybe and they've been good around corners ... need something better to displace water though, an inch of water at 100 kmph and there's a little wobble, got the old vtec, maybe something heavier will help

@Kalidas, where did you get the XM1 in b'lore and how much did you pay? Are you satisfied? which is better, XM1+ or XM1+ Energy.

Reason for change: Second time one of the tyre had sidewall cut in normal driving conditions. I just replaced a tyre for sidewall cut about 2 months ago and this time during my Badrinath-Kedarnath trip the same tyre (less than 500KMs) again had a sidewall cut after hitting a pothole at 70KMPH on Meerut bypass. So I lost my confidence in Goodyear NCT5s.

if u think the michilen wont cut ure in for a horrid surprise. i spent 15k on 4 michilen tyres last month. the next day itself my father hit a sidewall at a very LOW speed i lost 2 tyres, both of them had cuts. i went back to nct5. knowing india and its crappy roads these arent for india at all. not that india will get good city roads ever. i made huge mistake getting michilens for one day.

I don't get how Michelin claims to improve FE. All other things being the same, lesser rolling resistance is the only factor that can improve FE (just as in electric / hybrid car tyres). But then, that would surely compromise your braking distance?

Guys,

Im about to change the tyres of my Verna CRDi, upgrading from 175/70R14 to 185/65 R14. I was deciding between Michelin ENERGY XM1+ & GOOD YEAR NCT5. Reading your reviews, i am confused all the more. Can any body suggest genuinely which are better ??

iNdEr....

Quote:

Originally Posted by indersandhu (Post 1049673)
Guys,

Im about to change the tyres of my Verna CRDi, upgrading from 175/70R14 to 185/65 R14. I was deciding between Michelin ENERGY XM1+ & GOOD YEAR NCT5. Reading your reviews, i am confused all the more. Can any body suggest genuinely which are better ??

iNdEr....

There is no comparison between these 2 brands.
Michelin Energy all the way:)

Abhi

thanx buddy...

finally decided on 185/65 R14 MICHELIN ENERGY XM1+ with 14" PLATI ALLOYS...