Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2023, 07:49   #1
BHPian

Wheel alignment going for a toss frequently

Hello,

I am facing a peculiar problem with my year old Kia Carens. Whenever the SC opens up the tyres, either for wheel balancing, or greasing the brake caliper pins during the first service, the wheel alignment goes for a toss. The odometer is at 7k kms; the car has been cautiously driven. The tyres don't have uneven tread, nor has the car ever been involved in any accident.

Kindly advise.

Cheers!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 13th March 2023 at 09:16. Reason: Poorly typed post
SakJel is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th March 2023, 22:08   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Wheel alignment going for a toss frequently

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakJel View Post
Whenever the SC opens up the tyres, either for wheel balancing, or greasing the brake caliper pins during the first service, the wheel alignment goes for a toss
What does that mean, alignment is out of spec and SC corrected it or it is within spec but vehicle behaving strange?

If it is the former, nothing alarming for the 1st instance. Check the alignment in next 2-3k km for any abnormalities.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 13th March 2023 at 09:16. Reason: Typo
Old 12th March 2023, 22:27   #3
BHPian

re: Wheel alignment going for a toss frequently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
What does that mean, alignment is out of spec and SC corrected it or it is within spec but vehicle behaving strange?

If it is the farmer, nothing alarming for the 1st instance. Check the alignment in next 2-3k km for any abnormalities.
Hello,

Yes it's the first instance, the wheel has been taken out twice, for routine maintenance and all, and in both instance the wheel alignment was a bit off, after correction it was alright.

But my question is the wheel alignment should not be effected when the wheels are taken off for balancing or brake pads check and all.

Secondly, i have changed my steel wheel to alloy, i feel that smoothness in the OEM wheels is not there, i mean i can feel more of the road on the steering wheel. I may be acting too picky here but is this roughness felt normal.
SakJel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 16:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wheel alignment going for a toss frequently

Quote:
the wheel has been taken out twice, for routine maintenance and all, and in both instance the wheel alignment was a bit off, after correction it was alright.

But my question is the wheel alignment should not be effected when the wheels are taken off for balancing or brake pads check and all.
Is you vehicle pulling in one direction on all sort of roads ? or is there uneven wear on the front tires ?

If answer to both the above is no, then there's nothing to worry. Do not rely too much on the wheel alignment setup at dealerships. They usually are poorly maintained and must be avoided.

Infact I always recommend not to opt for Wheel alignment or balancing at dealer workshop. If one feels vehicle pulling or vibrations from tires only then the alignment or balancing respectively might be required. Go to a reliable tire and wheel shop, they'll have better setup than dealers as assembling tires/ wheels and balancing is their bread and butter.

Also, it is recommended but not necessary that both alignment and balancing need to be done together. Alignment corrects the errors in linkages and balancing counters the uneven weight distribution is the tire-wheel assemblies.

Quote:
Secondly, i have changed my steel wheel to alloy, i feel that smoothness in the OEM wheels is not there, i mean i can feel more of the road on the steering wheel. I may be acting too picky here but is this roughness felt normal.
Your statement is not clear. Have you changed from OEM steel to OEM alloys ? Did you change the tires as well ?
Old 13th March 2023, 16:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

I am facing a peculiar problem with my year old Kia Carens. Whenever the SC opens up the tyres, either for wheel balancing, or greasing the brake caliper pins during the first service, the wheel alignment goes for a toss. The odometer is at 7k kms; the car has been cautiously driven. The tyres don't have uneven tread, nor has the car ever been involved in any accident.

Kindly advise.

Cheers!
How do you realize that the alignment has gone for a toss? Does the car start pulling in one direction?
Old 13th March 2023, 18:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Is you vehicle pulling in one direction on all sort of roads ? or is there uneven wear on the front tires ?

If answer to both the above is no, then there's nothing to worry. Do not rely too much on the wheel alignment setup at dealerships. They usually are poorly maintained and must be avoided.

Infact I always recommend not to opt for Wheel alignment or balancing at dealer workshop. If one feels vehicle pulling or vibrations from tires only then the alignment or balancing respectively might be required. Go to a reliable tire and wheel shop, they'll have better setup than dealers as assembling tires/ wheels and balancing is their bread and butter.

Also, it is recommended but not necessary that both alignment and balancing need to be done together. Alignment corrects the errors in linkages and balancing counters the uneven weight distribution is the tire-wheel assemblies.

Your statement is not clear. Have you changed from OEM steel to OEM alloys ? Did you change the tires as well ?
Hello,

Yes the car was pulling to the left, i have changed from OEM steel wheels to after market alloys of Neo. Tyres are same which come from the company, it has not been upsized or anything.
Old 18th March 2023, 22:07   #7
BHPian

Mind sharing the wheel alignment report?

And your feedback on pulling/drifting OR steering wheel off centre to which side, steering loose or tight, tracking straight OR cornering is stable/unstable etc etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks