Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2007, 23:44   #1
BHPian

Tyre upgrade on Corsa

Guys, my Corsa sedan runs on Goodyear GPSII 175/65 R14 82T ( tubeless ) on Aura alloys right now. Total reading on the odo is 36000 KMs.
IMHO, its time to change the footwear.

Our another corsa runs on 185 width ( all 4+1 tyres ) right now, and the difference in handling of both cars is clearly felt ( the one with 185 feels more planted while negotiating turns on the highway ).

Now the question is, does it make a lot of difference in handling, if i have 185 at rear and 175 at front ??

And also, which ones i should go for ?? My experience with Goodyear is not so good. The Michelin priority dealer is a good friend so am quite sure to get a good deal. Or should i go for Bridgestone/ Apollo ?
Old 18th July 2007, 10:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

I feel its better to have all 4+1 tyres with same size and type which should optimize the performance and handling.

I have similar bad experience with Goodyear, cheap and bad quality tyre they are but still most of the car manufacturers go with goodyear.

Best set of tyre for your sedan Michellin and since you know priority dealer get good deal and buy Michellin. I feel you should go with Michellin XM1 for good comfort and less noice. Corsa has awasome ride quality with Michellin it will be still better than best.

Since already you used 185 find Michellin tyre in that dimension.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 18th July 2007, 10:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I feel its better to have all 4+1 tyres with same size and type which should optimize the performance and handling.

I have similar bad experience with Goodyear, cheap and bad quality tyre they are but still most of the car manufacturers go with goodyear.

Best set of tyre for your sedan Michellin and since you know priority dealer get good deal and buy Michellin. I feel you should go with Michellin XM1 for good comfort and less noice. Corsa has awasome ride quality with Michellin it will be still better than best.

Since already you used 185 find Michellin tyre in that dimension.

Regards,

Ravi.
I agree with Ravi, Just go for Michelins, if possible Michelin Energy XM1...Excellent tyres, I am feeling a heel lot of difference in my Alto after replacing my stock tyres with Michelins...

Abhi
Old 18th July 2007, 11:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

And please stick to same sized tyres on all 4 wheels, do not match tyres of different widths on the two axles.
Old 18th July 2007, 16:57   #5
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar View Post
Now the question is, does it make a lot of difference in handling, if i have 185 at rear and 175 at front ??
As pointed out, this is not a good idea. You could get significant understeer on dry surfaces because of the higher grip at the rear. On wet surfaces, the wider rear tyres could be more susceptible to aquaplaning and the car may oversteer.
Old 18th July 2007, 21:51   #6
BHPian

thanks a lot guys !

@rks - thats what i was thinking of when one of our regular mechanics suggested me to go for different widths at front and rear.

i will be goin for Michelins 185/60/R14 - getting one piece for 3600 - fair price i guess. Also getting balancing and alignment done up for free
Old 19th July 2007, 00:38   #7

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

why not go for 195/60R14.they are a good upsize,would offer better ride comfort,better handling,better grip and would almost cost the same.
Old 20th July 2007, 12:50   #8
BHPian

@hellspawn - am sure 195/60 will scrape the wheel-well at rear. But as some member on the forum ( sAP i guess ) has modded the wheel-well to accommodate 195 width, I'll check that out
Old 4th August 2007, 13:32   #9
BHPian

My ride finally got new rubber.

Got Pilot Preceda 185/60/R14 on all 4. Costed Rs.4050 per piece at Darshan Tyres, Kothrud.

I haven't been able to test them as such but there's a noticeable difference in the ride quality. Car feels more planted on dry as well as wet surface.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Most Viewed