Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2021, 12:21   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki WagonR : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
More than the rim diameter, one must always be wary of the rim width (4J/4.5J/5J) and then decide the width of the tire they want to upgrade too.

Cars like WagonR have badly designed wheel arches/wheel wells that it shows no generosity when it comes to upgrades beyond 165mm. Further, a 175mm tire on the OE Rim will only result in underutilization of the width of the tire since the narrow rim will result in sidewall bulge and that means the effective tread that is contact with the road surface will be way lesser than 175mm.

If one wants to upgrade the wheels to Alloys, you aren't easily getting anything that is less than 5 or 5.5j and on that when you put 175mm tires, they for sure will rub the wheel arches when car is fully loaded and you pass undulations at highway speeds.

IMHO, for a car like WagonR, 155mm/165mm works best and within acceptable limits. 175 will certainly be underutilized.
Thanks for the information. I was thinking of my old Figo which had 14 inch rims which came with 175 tyres.
The new Wagon R's anyway comes with 165/70 size tyres on 14 inch rims and only the LXi models still have the puny 155 on 13 inch rims. So I guess I am not going to upgrade since mine is a VXi.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 12:27   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Thanks for the information. I was thinking of my old Figo which had 14 inch rims which came with 175 tyres.
This itself means that the OE rim width would be easily 5.5J. At least Fiesta was 5.4J X 14 inch Rim for 175 section tires for lower variants. So am sure Figo with 175 also will have 5.5J rims on which you can use 185/195 profile tires without issues.

Quote:
The new Wagon R's anyway comes with 165/70 size tyres on 14 inch rims and only the LXi models still have the puny 155 on 13 inch rims. So I guess I am not going to upgrade since mine is a VXi.
Right. And since they come with 165, the rim size would be at least 4.5/5j.

For the 13 inchers and 155, the rim size would be just 4 or 4.5j and 175 will be underutilized.

If the rim width isn't good enough no matter whether diameter is 13/14/15, the upsized tires will surely be underutilized.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 10:48   #108
Senior - BHPian

Re: The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!

So after some hunting, I'm finding it kind of difficult to source alloys for my WagonR that fit its simple design. However I did find listings for MGP OEM alloy wheels on gomechanic as well as boodmo. Unfortunately neither come with an image of the actual product but I did manage to get the part numbers. One is 43200M79FB0 and the other is 43210M79FA0. Can anyone tell me what these would look like or where I can find out what these look like?
Old 10th January 2022, 14:43   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
So after some hunting, I'm finding it kind of difficult to source alloys for my WagonR that fit its simple design. However I did find listings for MGP OEM alloy wheels on gomechanic as well as boodmo
I found this and this on the Maruti Suzuki genuine accessories website, the website has shows many products with 14 inch rims. I had once enquired about the alloys at MASS and they told that they could source StingRay's alloys for around Rs.5.5K each, you could enquire about the same.

Edit: Sorry I quoted the 14 inches ones, assuming it was the one. I was referring to the second gen WagonRs

Last edited by RR96 : 10th January 2022 at 14:58.
RR96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 01:47   #110

I have a Wagon-R 2014 model VXI, I always used the OEM size. However, i have always yearned for a better ground clearance since I live in the hills, Sikkim to be precise. Therefore a week ago, I changed my OEM 155/65/r 14 for 165/70/r14. I have noticed a change in the ground clearance, It's sitting higher than before. Also, the above mentioned tyre size without any doubt is better and it's used as standard in the new Wagon-R. Can anybody suggest me a better tyre size for soft ride and higher ground clearance. The ones I bought were Yokohama and cost approximately 3.5 k for each tyre.
PetroHeadRig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 00:53   #111
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am afraid that I just don't have the time to go through 380 odd pages of this thread to find my answer, so here goes..

I am planning to fit alloy wheels and new tyres on my 2016 WagonR which is still fitted with the OEM 14 inch tyres and steel wheels.

A dealer has offered me 4 Plati (5 spoke) alloys for 17k as they are old stock.

My questions to the tyre gurus are :

1. Is "Plati" a good brand to go with? Is it Chinese? Is there any issue with buying a an alloy wheel which has been lying in storage for about 1.5 to 2 years? The wheels look brand new.

2. I would like maximum comfort so would it make sense to fit a 70 sidewall tyre? The present tyres are 155 x 65 x 14.

3. Is there any issue with fitting a 5.5J alloy instead of the standard 5J steel wheel? So, basically looking at a 165 x 70 x 14 tyre on a 5.5J alloy rim.

4. Please suggest the best tyre to buy considering the following in order of preference : 1. Comfort 2. Fuel Consumption 3. Grip 4. Road Noise.

Thanks & Regards,
SS

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th December 2022 at 12:03. Reason: I’m afraid I’ll have to move the posts to this thread as it was OT on the other one. Thanks.
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 02:12   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
1. Is "Plati" a good brand to go with? Is it Chinese? Is there any issue with buying a an alloy wheel which has been lying in storage for about 1.5 to 2 years? The wheels look brand new.
No issue as such with Plati but why not buy the original alloy wheels made for your car? You can go through boodmo and find them and probably get them for the same cost. The quality will definitely be better not sure whether the design might appeal as much though.

Quote:
2. I would like maximum comfort so would it make sense to fit a 70 sidewall tyre? The present tyres are 155 x 65 x 14.
Best to stick to stock size simply go for better quality rubber. Continental CC6 or Michelin XM2+ are both excellent tyres. The problem with a larger sidewall is that it might make sense initially but the more you think of it, not so much. The tyre itself will weigh more, the rim will be wider and will weigh more, all this extra unsprung rotating mass will take its toll on your car's suspension, mounts, bushes, linkages will all wear out faster and your chassis will incur more undue stress (not like the WagonR is known for torsional rigidity). Therefore stock size is best since that is what your suspension is tuned to work with and that's what will feel the most nimble, agile, lightfooted and comfortable. Simply go for better quality rubber instead of changing tyre size to solve grip/comfort issues.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 18th December 2022 at 02:13.
IshaanIan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 11:43   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
No issue as such with Plati but why not buy the original alloy wheels made for your car? You can go through boodmo and find them and probably get them for the same cost. The quality will definitely be better not sure whether the design might appeal as much though.
Hi Ishaan,

There's a saving of 10k compared to Boodmo prices (which means I can buy a 5th alloy wheel and tyre) and 14k compared to Maruti showroom prices.
Maruti have just 2 designs in black which I do not care for. They also seem least interested in selling alloy wheels.
Boodmo does have better designs than Maruti but makers are unknown.

I am still not able to see where Plati wheels are made. the Plati website just says "Imported" but are careful not to mention from where!

Many Thanks & Warm Regards,
SS
Old 18th December 2022, 15:39   #114
BHPian

Quote:
I am still not able to see where Plati wheels are made. the Plati website just says "Imported" but are careful not to mention from where!
We had used Plati alloys on our Indica some 13 or 14 years ago and the quality was satisfactory but i think a recent review will be more helpful.

They must be importing it from China and badging it with their brand as is the case with most brands across different industries that is why the haven't mentioned country of import.

But any particular reason for opting for Alloys because the only reason for us going for alloys back then was opting for tubeless tyres and there is no particular issue with steel wheels today aside from aesthetics.

Last edited by revvharder : 18th December 2022 at 15:47.
revvharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 15:52   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
We had used Plati alloys on our Indica some 13 or 14 years ago and the quality was satisfactory but i think a recent review will be more helpful.

They must be importing it from China and badging it with their brand as is the case with most brands across different industries that is why the haven't mentioned country of import.

But any particular reason for opting for Alloys because the only reason for us going for alloys back then was opting for tubeless tyres and there is no particular issue with steel wheels today aside from aesthetics.
Hi Revvharder,

Primarily for the aesthetics. Then of course for the slightly lighter weight. Also to get rid of the ugly plastic hubcaps.

The dealer claims that "Plati" are "Made in Taiwan" but, these days, who knows for sure?

Thanks for your inputs.

Warm Regards,
SS.
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 03:44   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroHeadRig View Post
I have a Wagon-R 2014 model VXI, I always used the OEM size. However, i have always yearned for a better ground clearance since I live in the hills, Sikkim to be precise. Therefore a week ago, I changed my OEM 155/65/r 14 for 165/70/r14. I have noticed a change in the ground clearance, It's sitting higher than before. Also, the above mentioned tyre size without any doubt is better and it's used as standard in the new Wagon-R. Can anybody suggest me a better tyre size for soft ride and higher ground clearance. The ones I bought were Yokohama and cost approximately 3.5 k for each tyre.
Hi Petro Head,

How is your Waggie doing on the new tyres of 165 x 70 x 14 size. I am planning to stick to the original steel wheels and fit Continental tyres of the size you did. Any issues with scraping the wheel wells or any other issues?

Thanks & Regards,
SS
Old 9th January 2023, 10:51   #117

No issues whatsoever .
PetroHeadRig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 08:04   #118
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm on the lookout for tyres to replace our 2016 Wagon R's stock tyres which are Apollo Amazer 3G 155/65/R14. I think the rim size is 4.5J, so what size tyres and brands are recommended? Should I stick to stock size or upsize to 165/65/R14 (is such a size even available?)
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 08:23   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I'm on the lookout for tyres to replace our 2016 Wagon R's stock tyres which are Apollo Amazer 3G 155/65/R14. I think the rim size is 4.5J, so what size tyres and brands are recommended? Should I stick to stock size or upsize to 165/65/R14 (is such a size even available?)
I used two sets of 165/65 r14 on my WagonR and was very happy about the upsize. The first set was Yoko Earth 1. It improved the road grip and made the car much sure-footed. But the tyres turn hard with time which increases road noise and ride quality. Road grip remained very good till the time I replaced them. Just 1 puncture in those 40k kms. And yes, these tyres have a square profile and look good on the car.

Current set is MRF ZLX and has been used for 20k kms in 5 years. Compared to Yoko, these are very silent and soft which improves ride quality considerably. However, road grip is inferior and it increases body roll slightly. They're cheaper than Yoko. But unlike Yoko which retains air pressure for more than a month, the MRFs require a check every 2 weeks. Anyway, they're better than the stock Amazers.

If the car is for Bangalore city use with occasional highway ride, I would suggest the Zlx. If the car will see frequent highway use, I will prefer Yoko or even Continental/Michelin.

Last edited by ashis89 : 13th March 2023 at 08:36.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 11:53   #120
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
If the car is for Bangalore city use with occasional highway ride, I would suggest the Zlx. If the car will see frequent highway use, I will prefer Yoko or even Continental/Michelin.
Yes, the car will be predominantly used in Bangalore city with occasional/rare highway usage, so the current top choice is the Continental CC6 if available - as per dealers here in Bangalore, this isn't a fast moving size of tyres!

Most Viewed