Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2009, 18:03   #196
Senior - BHPian

Some snaps of the upgrade to Turanza 205 65 R15.

Wheel wells filled very well, car having a much more planted look
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-155_5577.jpg  

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-front-right.jpg  

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-front-left.jpg  

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-rear.jpg  

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-front-turn.jpg  

Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-front.jpg  

Last edited by dinu2506 : 23rd October 2009 at 18:16.
Old 23rd October 2009, 22:58   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Some snaps of the upgrade to Turanza 205 65 R15.

Wheel wells filled very well, car having a much more planted look
Dinu, Thanks indeed. Looks neat.
Old 23rd October 2009, 23:17   #198
Senior - BHPian

@Dinu: The new tires look good. Can you provide some feedback on the suspension and ride quality and most importantly the under body scraping on speed breakers ?

How much did this exercise cost you and did you get anything at all for your old tires? Thanks.
Old 24th October 2009, 08:15   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@Dinu: The new tires look good. Can you provide some feedback on the suspension and ride quality and most importantly the under body scraping on speed breakers ?

How much did this exercise cost you and did you get anything at all for your old tires? Thanks.
Ride quality is better due to the increased sidewall. The GC has increased by 6mm which is really useful. I am able to take speedbreakers at a higher speed than before without scraping. I also took five people on board and drove around. No issues at all. As I had mentioned in my earlier post, the tires were 4450 a piece plus balancing anf fitment. Nothing for old tires because of the uncommon size (195 65 15) and age. It had run 24000km.
Overall extremely happy with the upgrade as it has addressed my major two areas - Looks and GC. FE is somethin I need to see. First observations does not seem to point to any drop.
Highly recommended for all Civics - 205 65 R15. Of course I do not drive at the limits to test the handling at the edge, so this is something I cannot comment.
Old 24th October 2009, 12:27   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ride quality is better due to the increased sidewall. The GC has increased by 6mm which is really useful. I am able to take speedbreakers at a higher speed than before without scraping. I also took five people on board and drove around. No issues at all. As I had mentioned in my earlier post, the tires were 4450 a piece plus balancing anf fitment. Nothing for old tires because of the uncommon size (195 65 15) and age. It had run 24000km.
Overall extremely happy with the upgrade as it has addressed my major two areas - Looks and GC. FE is somethin I need to see. First observations does not seem to point to any drop.
Highly recommended for all Civics - 205 65 R15. Of course I do not drive at the limits to test the handling at the edge, so this is something I cannot comment.
Thanks for the update. Do keep udating on the FE figures as that would be an important factor as well. Also, do you experience any speedo error due to this upgrade ? I know you have stuck to the stock rims but still am not sure if the speedo readings would be the same as before.
Old 25th October 2009, 00:58   #201
Senior - BHPian

Speedo error has nothing to do with stock rims or not. It depends on the overall diameter of the wheel, i.e. alloy + tire included, which in this case has changed. There will be slight reduction in the speed shown in the speedo (and kms on Odo) vs stock values. This also needs to be factored in FE calculation to get correct values. However that said, these changed are quite minimal and can be ignored, unless you are into details.

Circumference of Old tire = 199.334 cm
Circumference of New tire = 203.418 cm
variation = 2%

So speedo will show 2 kmph less than stock (at 100kmph) and odo distance will be 2% less too. In real life there are many other factors, hence this can be ignored.
Old 25th October 2009, 08:09   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Speedo error has nothing to do with stock rims or not. It depends on the overall diameter of the wheel, i.e. alloy + tire included, which in this case has changed. There will be slight reduction in the speed shown in the speedo (and kms on Odo) vs stock values. This also needs to be factored in FE calculation to get correct values. However that said, these changed are quite minimal and can be ignored, unless you are into details.

variation = 2%

So speedo will show 2 kmph less than stock (at 100kmph) and odo distance will be 2% less too. In real life there are many other factors, hence this can be ignored.
Rightly said. Just add 2% to all values, speed, distance travelled , FE etc
Old 27th October 2009, 09:29   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Rightly said. Just add 2% to all values, speed, distance travelled , FE etc
@ Dinu, Thanks indeed for the feedback and updates. This is great

Quote:

variation = 2%

@ST7677 and @ Dinu... If you read official tests of Civic, the Speedo error reported by all Testers (Autocar, TopGear and Overdrive) was around 3%. It showed 100 kmph when the actual speed was 97 kmph on stock tires.

Hence this upgrade will negate that and will show closer to true reading. Any thoughts?
Old 27th October 2009, 10:33   #204
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the inputs and updates. Whilst the speedo error is something that we can/cannot live with, is there a way that the odo/speedo can be corrected to match the new tire size ?
Old 27th October 2009, 14:52   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all the inputs and updates. Whilst the speedo error is something that we can/cannot live with, is there a way that the odo/speedo can be corrected to match the new tire size ?
I would say this is probably not worth the effort. Even with the stock tires there are errors to the extent of 3% as mentioned by Naresh. And even if you closely check two brands of tires with the same specs, the heights vary to a small extent.
Old 27th October 2009, 14:54   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
@ Dinu, Thanks indeed for the feedback and updates. This is great

@ST7677 and @ Dinu... If you read official tests of Civic, the Speedo error reported by all Testers (Autocar, TopGear and Overdrive) was around 3%. It showed 100 kmph when the actual speed was 97 kmph on stock tires.

Hence this upgrade will negate that and will show closer to true reading. Any thoughts?
Quite possible... possibly 205 65 15 is the ideal size
Old 27th October 2009, 17:22   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would say this is probably not worth the effort. Even with the stock tires there are errors to the extent of 3% as mentioned by Naresh. And even if you closely check two brands of tires with the same specs, the heights vary to a small extent.
I agree it is not worth the trouble but just wanted to understand if that re-calibration is possible or not.

I would be more interested in knowing the impact of the tyre upgrade on the FE bit. Please chime in with your updates on that one. Thanks.
Old 28th October 2009, 11:50   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is due to localization effect - the civic in US comes with 16" wheels so when it got localized for India, Honda probably reduced the wheel size and along with also changed the tyre spec impacting the overall diameter to be slightly smaller.
This is well within the 3% acceptable norm, so nothing wrong with it. However 205/65/15 is probably the ideal size for the car and Honda should make this as OE size. It will also address the GC issues.

Dinu, waiting to hear some more detailed feedback from you, i.e. after initial run in period is over. Also any impact on FE, if at all.

Last edited by ST7677 : 28th October 2009 at 11:52.
Old 29th October 2009, 09:08   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would be more interested in knowing the impact of the tyre upgrade on the FE bit. Please chime in with your updates on that one. Thanks.
Quote:
Dinu, waiting to hear some more detailed feedback from you, i.e. after initial run in period is over. Also any impact on FE, if at all.
Finally, my update on the FE. Today morning I filled her up, my first full tank after the upgrade. I had filled her earlier immediately after the tire upgrade. So, this tank was run totally on the upgraded tires. She ran 244 kms and took in 24.16lit before auto cutoff. That translates to 10.1 km/lit. I should say I'm elated that there is no perceptible drop in FE after the upgrade. The run was totally representative of my normal routes in the city with around 50% AC and this is the normal mileage I have been used to in these cycles. So,
Yes, this is the ideal upsize..... with respect to GC, looks and FE

Last edited by Dippy : 12th November 2009 at 14:41. Reason: Post edited. Please avoid using excessive smileys. Maximum of two per post.
Old 29th October 2009, 11:45   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally, my update on the FE. Today morning I filled her up, my first full tank after the upgrade. I had filled her earlier immediately after the tire upgrade. So, this tank was run totally on the upgraded tires. She ran 244 kms and took in 24.16lit before auto cutoff. That translates to 10.1 km/lit. I should say I'm elated that there is no perceptible drop in FE after the upgrade. The run was totally representative of my normal routes in the city with around 50% AC and this is the normal mileage I have been used to in these cycles. So,
Yes, this is the ideal upsize..... with respect to GC, looks and FE
Sounds great ! Even the marginal decrease in FE (if any) will be negated by the improved GC and the planted feel of the car. Keep checking the FE figures for a few more times and confirm if it settles down at the same level. Congrats !

OT: I understand you are flying high (seeing the amount of smilies) but you may get on the mods radar for the same. (Only two smilies per post are allowed)

Most Viewed