Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2010, 11:31   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
If I use OEM size, I will need to buy just 2 tyres and if I upgrade, I will need to buy 4 or 5 tyres.

So, 2 Vs. 4 is acceptable but 2 Vs. 5 looks over, just a for a minor upgrade. (2 tyres are just 10k driven)

By the way, I don't do out of town trips, 90% of my driving is between Delhi and Gurgaon.
You're welcome, Mukesh.

How come you're looking to change only 2 tyres? Rather, how is it that only 2 have done 10k and the others have done more? Did you have to switch to the spare tyre frequently?

Anyway, for your situation (mostly in-city driving which means slow speeds) I would let the spare tyre be of the smaller size provided it's difficult and/or expensive (read as beyond budget) to source the 5th one also of the same size.

Regards,
spadix
Old 28th October 2010, 11:45   #287
Senior - BHPian

My Civic is one of the first batch which I bought in 2006 at the time of launch. I did not need to use the spare so far even after 4 years 3 months.

It got punctured few times but luckily I could find a nearby tyre shop everytime.

My spare tyre was never used till January this year @33800 odo, when my front 2 tyres needed to be replaced, I bought one tyre of OEM specs/brand (BS) and used my 5th tyre. So, I installed 2 new tyres.

Now time has come to replace 2 more tyres (46000 odo) but I am craving for an upgrade. Buying 5 tyres does not look logical when i can actually need 2.

I can make myself understand that I have actually paid for one tyre in last 4 years (46k kms) so I can spend at lest for 4 tyres. Moreover the other one even if it was unused but there is an age after all.

So, it all is creating confusion.
Old 28th October 2010, 19:32   #288
BHPian

10 days ago, one of my stock NCT5's died due to sidewall cut. Was in a fix whether to buy 1 NCT5 or upgrade all to 205/65. Was considering the following based on info I gathered

* M-PLC
+ : Low noise, FE, Good grip on dry, Decent grip on wet, Wider profile enhances the look, Comfort
- : Handling, Soft side wall (one could easily make out by pressing the sidewall)

* CPC2
+ : Good grip on dry, Good grip on wet, Harder sidewall (compared to the other 2), Profile less vulnerable for sidewall damage, Handling
- : Noisy(compared to M-PLC), FE drop (compared to M-PLC), Comfort(compared to M-PLC)

* C-drives, seemed somewhere in between the two. But C-drives-2 is already out but not sure if its available in India. Also, not many reviews/info; need to be time-tested.

Finally took the plunge; 4.5(!) ~14k old 195/65R15 NCT5's became 5 new 205/65R15 CPC2 on OEM alloys. Will post my experience after testing new rubber on NICE road this Sunday. For kicks, I'm seeing the difference even on city roads (IMO, largely due to 205 vs 195 more than brand, as all the 3 above are good tires).

@spadix, Honda is very generous, so they provide the cheapest among NCT5 or B250 or MXV8(or XM1+ of late) for that batch of manufacturing.

@mukesh, IMO, its better to have same size on all 5. 195/65 vs. 205/65 will have a height diff of 6.5mm, possibly resulting in uneven wear and some stress on the wheel bearings/mechanicals if run for long.

Last edited by mkc15 : 28th October 2010 at 19:36.
Old 28th October 2010, 23:40   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
Finally took the plunge; 4.5(!) ~14k old 195/65R15 NCT5's became 5 new 205/65R15 CPC2 on OEM alloys. Will post my experience after testing new rubber on NICE road this Sunday. For kicks, I'm seeing the difference even on city roads (IMO, largely due to 205 vs 195 more than brand, as all the 3 above are good tires).
Good stuff! Avi (mobike008 on the forums) switched immediately to CPC2s on his Cruze (the car comes fitted with JK Vectras I believe) and raves about the tyres' grip in all sorts of conditions. I'm sure you'll enjoy the CPC2s too.

Quote:
@spadix, Honda is very generous, so they provide the cheapest among NCT5 or B250 or MXV8(or XM1+ of late) for that batch of manufacturing.
Interesting bit of info, that. Thanks for sharing it, mkc15! More choice is better for us when we go shopping for new (stock) tyres.

Quote:
@mukesh, IMO, its better to have same size on all 5. 195/65 vs. 205/65 will have a height diff of 6.5mm, possibly resulting in uneven wear and some stress on the wheel bearings/mechanicals if run for long.
Wow, didn't really think of this at all! Super point. If there's a God-level mechanic who's really very well-versed with the Civic's mechanicals and handling it would good to seek that person's opinion. Anyone like that on TBHP (specifically for the Civic)?

Regards,
spadix
Old 29th October 2010, 18:43   #290
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Wow, didn't really think of this at all! Super point. If there's a God-level mechanic who's really very well-versed with the Civic's mechanicals and handling it would good to seek that person's opinion. Anyone like that on TBHP (specifically for the Civic)?

Regards,
spadix
Well, I ain't no God-level mechanic, yet can give you a size comparo tool. Click here to compare different tyre sizes.

Either ways, MKC put it just right. All 4 tyres should ideally be of the exact same size.
Old 29th October 2010, 19:07   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, I ain't no God-level mechanic, yet can give you a size comparo tool.

The calculations are alright.

I was looking for the mech. reference so that the ill-effects (specifically on the Civic) of running differently-sized tyres can be explained. More importantly, what will be the nature/extent of the damage (if any). Is it permanent or is it repairable? And how much will cost, etc.? Just out of curiosity if nothing else.

Regards,
spadix
Old 29th October 2010, 20:08   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
...ill-effects (specifically on the Civic) of running differently-sized tyres can be explained...
Among other things ABS(brakes) will get confused since rpm will be different based on diameter (from the Honda-manual).
Old 29th October 2010, 21:14   #293
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys.

Finally I have replaced all tyres to 205/65/R15.
Old 12th December 2010, 19:14   #294
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Which make/price and what is your experience?
Old 12th December 2010, 23:43   #295
Senior - BHPian

I got Yokohama AVS dB v550 @5k each.

So far I am very satisfied. It has very less noise as compared to the stock Bridgestones.
Old 13th December 2010, 07:50   #296
BHPian

This seems a good price. If they last for 40K according to me it is good enough considering the sound they produce is less compared to B250.
Old 13th December 2010, 08:42   #297
Senior - BHPian

Experts can comment about their life. But noise is surely less than even some of the more popular imported tyres. In fact the name of this series (dB) is only because minimum sound is their specialty and they are comfortable too.
Old 20th December 2010, 07:28   #298
BHPian

Has tried C-Drive on Civic? If so request feedback.

Experts: Need advice. C Drive drive are H rated vs. a lot of new upgrades which are either V or higher rated. Would that really make a difference.
Old 20th December 2010, 09:16   #299
BHPian

Apologies. Corrected the sentence and hence posting again...

Has anyone tried Yoko C-Drive on Civic? If so, request feedback.

Experts: Need advice. C Drives are H rated vs. a lot of new upgrades which are either V or higher rated. Would that really make a difference? Feedback requested. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Has tried C-Drive on Civic? If so request feedback.

Experts: Need advice. C Drive drive are H rated vs. a lot of new upgrades which are either V or higher rated. Would that really make a difference.
Old 23rd December 2010, 18:52   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

H rated and V rated will not make much of a difference on a Civic. Taking a Civic to 210 is possible and if you regularly do such speeds, get a V rated tyre.

For most other uses, H rated is more than enough.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks