Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2010, 21:27   #301
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
This seems a good price. If they last for 40K according to me it is good enough considering the sound they produce is less compared to B250.
Have been running on the V550 for 7K+ kms. Quite comfortable tyres. Grip is pretty ok in the wet and dry. Though they have not seen on the limit cornering. But squeals as such. High speeds are a breeze.

At times I've felt the ABS kicks in a bit early in slightly dusty roads. On clear tarmac it's ok and have never felt braking prowess to be inadequate. But I really do not have any reference point to judge this yet, since I had used the OE MXV8s for just 700kms. It's just a 'hunch' as of now. Need to drive other Civics with different tyres.

Often toy with the idea of 215 S-Drives on new alloys .. dreams !!
Old 27th December 2010, 13:36   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
At times I've felt the ABS kicks in a bit early in slightly dusty roads. On clear tarmac it's ok and have never felt braking prowess to be inadequate. But I really do not have any reference point to judge this yet, since I had used the OE MXV8s for just 700kms. It's just a 'hunch' as of now. Need to drive other Civics with different tyres.
Oh I've routinely felt the brake pedal shuddering under my right foot when I brake on hard, but badly broken, tarmac (let alone loose surfaces) if I brake hard from speeds as low as around 60 kmph. I think that happens because one or more of the tyres momentarily loses surface contact as the car flies over the ruts and obviously stops spinning when that happens, courtesy of the powerful brakes.

BQ runs the stock Goodyear NCT5s.

Better safe than sorry, no?

Regards,
spadix
Old 4th June 2011, 13:06   #303
Senior - BHPian

What are the 215/60/15 options in the market?

Civic has 15x6J alloys right? So 215 should sit.
Old 5th June 2011, 13:03   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO, 215 should comfortably sit in the Civic's stock rims though that is not the ideal width.

Even I am planning to change the tires in my Civic and I have zeroed in on 205/65 R15. I enquired the prices of the tires at a delaer in Velachery (Chennai).

1. Michelin Primacy LC - 6400/Pc (V Rated)
2. Yokohama A Drive - 5210/Pc (H Rated)
3. Conti Premium Contact 2 - 6100/Pc (V Rated)

Though I am inclined towards Michelin PLCs, the prices are much higher compared to the Yokos. Which is the best option that I should opt for? Your comments/suggestions would be of immense help.
Old 5th June 2011, 15:46   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Though I am inclined towards Michelin PLCs, the prices are much higher compared to the Yokos. Which is the best option that I should opt for? Your comments/suggestions would be of immense help.
V-rated tyres would be overkill for the Civic, whose design speed (stock) is < 210 kmph. H-rated tyres should be enough. Perhaps H-rated PLCs - if they exist - are a little cheaper?

Regards,
spadix
Old 5th June 2011, 19:20   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
V-rated tyres would be overkill for the Civic, whose design speed (stock) is < 210 kmph. H-rated tyres should be enough. Perhaps H-rated PLCs - if they exist - are a little cheaper?

Regards,
spadix
Thanks a lot spadix. Am also calling up Tyrestore tomorrow for checking the prices there.
Old 6th June 2011, 01:33   #307
BHPian

Guys I need an advice,

I bought a preworshipped 2007 Civic with 22K on odo. I have 5K life left on the shoes. The problem is the spare tyre is left untouched and is lying there for 4yrs. I am not sure of the shelf life of a tire. With shoe change imminent, I dont know what to do with my spare tyre as I want to upsize.

Thanks
Autofreak
Old 6th June 2011, 12:09   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofreak View Post
Guys I need an advice,

I bought a preworshipped 2007 Civic with 22K on odo. I have 5K life left on the shoes. The problem is the spare tyre is left untouched and is lying there for 4yrs. I am not sure of the shelf life of a tire. With shoe change imminent, I dont know what to do with my spare tyre as I want to upsize.

Thanks
Autofreak
We had replaced only 4 tyres as well and the spare was just sitting there for close to 4 years as well.
Recently we disposed of the old tyre from the civic and bought one more that matches the existing set. The old tyre went for about 1.2K
Old 6th June 2011, 12:23   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
V-rated tyres would be overkill for the Civic, whose design speed (stock) is < 210 kmph
While top speed may not be enough for V-rated tyres - wouldn't V-rated tyres typically also have better grip?

Better grip translating to better braking ability?
Old 6th June 2011, 13:14   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofreak View Post
I have 5K life left on the shoes. The problem is the spare tyre is left untouched and is lying there for 4yrs. I am not sure of the shelf life of a tire. With shoe change imminent, I dont know what to do with my spare tyre as I want to upsize.
Typically tyres lose life even if they haven't been "used" much. The rubber hardens and becomes brittle, resulting in cracks in the sidewall. Considering the spare tyre hasn't been exposed to the elements this may not be the case, but if you observe any cracks get rid of it. Else, I'd keep it around if I were in your place.

Quote:
While top speed may not be enough for V-rated tyres - wouldn't V-rated tyres typically also have better grip?

Better grip translating to better braking ability?
If that is true then it makes sense.

I thought the only difference between H and V rated tyres is in the overall strength of the tyre to withstand the more demanding, hotter conditions at higher speeds and this may (or not) have anything to do with other characteristics such as grip, noise and tread pattern. One outcome of using a V-rated tyre could be longer life, considering the stronger compound. Again, I'm no expert on tyres so please take all of this with a huge helping of salt.

Regards,
spadix
Old 6th June 2011, 15:34   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
We had replaced only 4 tyres as well and the spare was just sitting there for close to 4 years as well.
Recently we disposed of the old tyre from the civic and bought one more that matches the existing set. The old tyre went for about 1.2K
Quote:
Typically tyres lose life even if they haven't been "used" much. The rubber hardens and becomes brittle, resulting in cracks in the sidewall. Considering the spare tyre hasn't been exposed to the elements this may not be the case, but if you observe any cracks get rid of it. Else, I'd keep it around if I were in your place.

Regards,
spadix
Thanks a lot guys. I am thinking of disposing of the spare for a discount while changing to new set.
Old 7th June 2011, 19:19   #312
Senior - BHPian

I had the tires in my Civic changed today at Tyrestore. Got 4 Michelin Energy MXV8s (195/65 R15) for INR 5850/Piece. And Mr. Deepak (a Team-BHP member) gave a discount of 50% on Services (Wheel Alignment, Wheel Balancing, Nitrogen Filling, etc.) for telling the name of Team-BHP. All said and done, I came back satisfied as the new tires were silent and comfortable on the way back.
Old 8th June 2011, 13:23   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
(a Team-BHP member) gave a discount of 50% on Services (Wheel Alignment, Wheel Balancing, Nitrogen Filling, etc.) for telling the name of Team-BHP.
Not to offend, but here in Bangalore when you buy 4 wheels from most of the shops, most of the services(Tyre change, wheel alignment, labour etc) are offered free, except for wheel balancing, where one has to just pay for the weights.
Old 8th June 2011, 16:04   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Not to offend, but here in Bangalore when you buy 4 wheels from most of the shops, most of the services(Tyre change, wheel alignment, labour etc) are offered free, except for wheel balancing, where one has to just pay for the weights.
That would have been great, but neither this time nor the previous times when I had changed my tires I was offered those services free. Every time I have ended up paying for the other services that was offered. I even tried negotiating last time with the tire dealer and he was telling a definite no.
Old 9th June 2011, 16:34   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yoko AVS ES100's are available in that size. The catalog says so. Not sure about actual availability. Price around 5.6K per tyre.

C drives come in 205/65/15 size for around 5.4K.

Most Viewed