Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 19:30   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
What are the 215/60/15 options in the market?

Civic has 15x6J alloys right? So 215 should sit.
No options in 215/60-15. It is just a theoretical size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
V-rated tyres would be overkill for the Civic, whose design speed (stock) is < 210 kmph. H-rated tyres should be enough. Perhaps H-rated PLCs - if they exist - are a little cheaper?

Regards,
spadix
There are no H rated PLCs.

Quote:
While top speed may not be enough for V-rated tyres - wouldn't V-rated tyres typically also have better grip?

Better grip translating to better braking ability?
Nope. The tyres are just identical. It's just that the ones with a V rating have been tested upto 240kmph. Normally in one size you will only have one speed rating. There are some exceptions (like the Contis) where the same size and model will have an H rated and a V rated tyre. They are identical.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 00:58   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
No options in 215/60-15. It is just a theoretical size!
I was shown a Yoko handout and pricelist with AVS ES100 listed in that size. Can you confirm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Nope. The tyres are just identical. It's just that the ones with a V rating have been tested upto 240kmph. Normally in one size you will only have one speed rating.
I guess @spadix was referring to different tyres. Same size, but different models. A H rated model vs a V rated model. Say A-drive and S-Drive.
Old 16th June 2011, 13:29   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess @spadix was referring to different tyres. Same size, but different models. A H rated model vs a V rated model. Say A-drive and S-Drive.
No, I was referring to different speed grades in the same model line-up and size. So, H-rated CPC2 vs. V-rated CPC2 of the same size (note that only CPC2 satisfies this condition, per Nikhil's post).

As I suspected and as Nikhil has confirmed, the grip levels wouldn't differ between the two.

Regards,
spadix
Old 12th July 2011, 17:03   #319
BHPian

My Civic stock tyres (Goodyear NCT5) have done around 35k and look like they would do another 10k or so. However, I am looking to change them earlier. (Experts please suggest if this is wise). The usage is evenly split across high speed highway (not insanely high though), Ghat sections and city driving. Going through the various threads I have more or less decided to go for Michelin Primacy LC (205/65 R15). Could you please suggest if that is a suitable choice and also if there are any pros and cons of the specific upgrade (205/65)? Which would be the best place to get them in Mumbai and how big a hole would they make in my pocket?

Also if there are any justifiably better alternatives that I should consider?
Old 12th July 2011, 20:11   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarooppatil View Post
My Civic stock tyres (Goodyear NCT5) have done around 35k and look like they would do another 10k or so. However, I am looking to change them earlier. (Experts please suggest if this is wise). The usage is evenly split across high speed highway (not insanely high though), Ghat sections and city driving. Going through the various threads I have more or less decided to go for Michelin Primacy LC (205/65 R15). Could you please suggest if that is a suitable choice and also if there are any pros and cons of the specific upgrade (205/65)? Which would be the best place to get them in Mumbai and how big a hole would they make in my pocket?

Also if there are any justifiably better alternatives that I should consider?
I have used both Michelin Primacy LC and Michelin MXV8 (OEM size of 195/65R15).
I prefer LC which is quieter and with better grip.
My originals were NCT5 and was changed after 30K kms.

A lot of bhp'ians have reported no problems with 205/65R15 though.
pros and cons of the upgrade:
cons:
Speedometer will show a small error, Steering will be slightly harder, FE will be slightly less.

pros:
The advantage will be better grip, better braking and more ground clearence.

Last edited by manim : 12th July 2011 at 20:16.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 11:55   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Speedometer will show a small error, Steering will be slightly harder, FE will be slightly less.
Thanks Manim for your response. By the way, about the steering, would it be noticeably hard or just slightly hard which can be ignored?
Old 13th July 2011, 21:39   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarooppatil View Post
Thanks Manim for your response. By the way, about the steering, would it be noticeably hard or just slightly hard which can be ignored?
Since this is a minor upsize the change may not be noticeable, so can be ignored.

(For comparison, I had upgraded my old honda city from to 175/70R13 to 205/50/15, a major upsize, ten years back).
Old 20th July 2011, 17:37   #323
BHPian

I am planning to upgrade my civic at tyres from stock to Michelin Primacy LC 205/65/15. Got an offer of 6250/Tyre.
Is this price ok? Any better options in this size? Yokos seem cheaper but how good are they?
I went through the thread and that just left me more confused.
Old 20th July 2011, 20:32   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
I am planning to upgrade my civic at tyres from stock to Michelin Primacy LC 205/65/15. Got an offer of 6250/Tyre.
Is this price ok? Any better options in this size? Yokos seem cheaper but how good are they?
After reading through this thread and a few others the PLCs increasingly come across as great all-rounders. The Conti Pro Contact 2s seem to be a very good alternative.

Which Yokos' prices did you check out? The Yoko A-drives have earned a bad reputation in the wet. If I'm not mistaken, the AVS dBs are based loosely off the A-drives so I would be apprehensive of those too, although they don't seem to be as nerve-wracking as the A-drives in the wet. The S-drives aren't all that silent even though they perform well. Between the S-drives and PLCs I would opt for the latter (or the CPC2s).

Regards,
spadix
Old 20th July 2011, 20:42   #325
BHPian

Quote:
After reading through this thread and a few others the PLCs increasingly come across as great all-rounders. The Conti Pro Contact 2s seem to be a very good alternative.

Which Yokos' prices did you check out? The Yoko A-drives have earned a bad reputation in the wet. If I'm not mistaken, the AVS dBs are based loosely off the A-drives so I would be apprehensive of those too, although they don't seem to be as nerve-wracking as the A-drives in the wet. The S-drives aren't all that silent even though they perform well. Between the S-drives and PLCs I would opt for the latter (or the CPC2s).

Regards,
spadix
Thanks Spadix. I think I will go with the PLC's. Do you know if the price of 6250 good for PLC's?
Old 20th July 2011, 20:44   #326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Take a look at the C-Drives. Very good tires, and they will be cheaper than the Michelins.
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:06   #327
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys i am considering changing the tyres on my civic (though haven't decided when) and researching which brand etc.I have zeroed in on BridgstonePotenza GIII.Not considering michelins as have read they have a soft sidewall which may be prone to wear and tear.

I will not be upsizing and will be sticking with OE specs ie 195/65/R15 91H as the current Goodyear specs.
Do you guys think the BS will be a good choice.I am the "not" the one to be concerned about tyre noise or grip levels at high speed or even the comfort factor while driving.I just want a decent set of tyres which would not get damaged due to usage on rough roads and will have a decent long life of atleast 35K.May also consider yoko's if they can meet my above requirements.

thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:29   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi guys i am considering changing the tyres on my civic (though haven't decided when) and researching which brand etc.I have zeroed in on BridgstonePotenza GIII.Not considering michelins as have read they have a soft sidewall which may be prone to wear and tear.

I will not be upsizing and will be sticking with OE specs ie 195/65/R15 91H as the current Goodyear specs.
Do you guys think the BS will be a good choice.I am the "not" the one to be concerned about tyre noise or grip levels at high speed or even the comfort factor while driving.I just want a decent set of tyres which would not get damaged due to usage on rough roads and will have a decent long life of atleast 35K.May also consider yoko's if they can meet my above requirements.

thanks
Forget the G3s. They are old tyres that offer decent grip but loads of noise and bad comfort. Going by what you want check out the Bridgestone Turanza or the Yoko C-Drive.
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:38   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Forget the G3s. They are old tyres that offer decent grip but loads of noise and bad comfort. Going by what you want check out the Bridgestone Turanza or the Yoko C-Drive.
Will the Turanza E300 be upto the mark ?
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:57   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yokos seem cheaper but how good are they?
Quote:
The Yoko A-drives have earned a bad reputation in the wet. If I'm not mistaken, the AVS dBs are based loosely off the A-drives so I would be apprehensive of those too,
Rightly said Spadix.
I have the same AVS db 550 tyres... On an Highway, Braking is very bad in wet conditions.
But in Dry conditions they are very good tyres.. Less noise too
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix
The Conti Pro Contact 2s seem to be a very good alternative.
CPC2 are really good tyres. But they are not as easily available as that of Michelin's & Yokos in the shops in BLR.
Lately I'm hearing good reviews on APPOLLO tyres. But have never tried them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks