Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2013, 12:56   #526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Well, improvement in GC is marginal. But there are other benefits also mentioned in this thread earlier. If you don't want to upsize for other benefits, then it is your call. BTW, what is the price of OE size and 205/65 R15 ?
Approx 6400 for XM2 and 6600 for avs db. Reliance Autozone prices without adjustment of old tyres.Market prices should be a bit lower
Is there a pickup loss with upsizing?
Old 4th October 2013, 13:02   #527
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Upsizing will result in a drop of mileage on account of increased friction due to the larger contact patch and also to some extent due to the error in odometer readings whose calibration will be out of sync due to the change in rolling circumference. The drop though should be marginal.

As for the tires XM2 will always be quieter than the Turanzas unless you are getting Turanza GR90(which start only from 16"). In other aspects the Turanzas would be better than the XM2.

If you want to spend Michelin money then get the new Primacy ST which are marginally more expensive than the XM2 but are a much more superior product.

The AVS dB are great tires. My Mitsubishi has been riding on these in 195/60R15 size over the past 2+ years & approx. 30K Kms. Great tires in all aspects but the game has changed. The STs from Michelin offer all of the features of the DB but with the added advantage of being Bi-Directional tires unlike the AVS which are Unidirectional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
I need to get the tyres tomorrow. Any help please ^^^
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 13:27   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Upsizing will result in a drop of mileage on account of increased friction due to the larger contact patch and also to some extent due to the error in odometer readings whose calibration will be out of sync due to the change in rolling circumference. The drop though should be marginal. As for the tires XM2 will always be quieter than the Turanzas unless you are getting Turanza GR90(which start only from 16"). In other aspects the Turanzas would be better than the XM2.
My options now are 1. Michelin ST
2. XM2
3. Turanza
4. Yoko AVS db
Turanza sits conformably in my budget, i was only interested in going for XM2 for being silent. Almost a 1k difference between the two.

Roughly how noisy are the turanaza's as compared to XM2's ?

So you guys basically recommend upsizing?

Last edited by k2max6 : 4th October 2013 at 13:31.
Old 4th October 2013, 14:34   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...1. Michelin ST
Did you mean the Primacy 3 ST ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...d-india-3.html

Did you inquire about their prices as well? These sound promising. I will be in the market for new tyres for my Civic in maybe 3 months from now.
Old 4th October 2013, 15:13   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Did you mean the Primacy 3 ST ? http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...d-india-3.html Did you inquire about their prices as well? These sound promising. I will be in the market for new tyres for my Civic in maybe 3 months from now.
Yes, i mean the same. They are Rs.100 (Rs.6300) more than the XM2 (Rs.6200) for 195/65 R15 while dealer says its not available in 205/65 R15.

So what do you guys suggest ? XM2 or 3 ST ?
XM2 has been in india for long now. Should i go in for 3 ST.
Old 4th October 2013, 15:51   #531
Senior - BHPian

Let me start from the bottom

Upsizing for me is not going for 195 to 205 but moving from 15" to 16". If that is not happening it is neither upsizing (195 is broad enough) nor will any real benefit accrue. Why pay for extra fuel being burnt and the odometer giving crooked readings.

How noisy is very subjective but the Michelins are acknowledged to be the Kings of silence. In house the hierarchy noise level wise is
Primacy ST = Primacy LC >> Energy series XM2; XM1+, XM1, XM

I do not know which one of the Turanzas is under considerations here but the company (per their web site) has no comments on the noise characteristics of the ER60 & the AR10, for the ER300 also the noise feature is way down the list. Now for the ER90 the noise feature was advertised right at the top and the tire is indeed quiet, infact quieter than the AVS dB (I have the ER90 on another ride hence the first hand comparison). Both of these are however beaten hands down by the Michelin Primacy LC that my friend has on his ride. Do keep in mind this is only for noise levels.

For other stuff such as grip on cornering, steering under braking, comfort levels etc both the Turanza ER90 & AVS dB are way ahead of the LC. Here the direct competitor would be the Primacy 3ST.

Within the Turanza price band, I would recommend that you take a look at the Apollo Accelare. These are reported to offer a very quiet ride without braking the bank and are made under technology collaboration with Michelin unless you want to pay the price for silence and get the Michelins (but hopefully not the XM2).

Quote:
My options now are 1. Michelin ST
2. XM2
3. Turanza
4. Yoko AVS db
Turanza sits conformably in my budget, i was only interested in going for XM2 for being silent. Almost a 1k difference between the two.

Roughly how noisy are the turanaza's as compared to XM2's ?

So you guys basically recommend upsizing?

EDIT :http://www.apollotyres.com/india/pas...yres/Acelere-0

Last edited by khoj : 4th October 2013 at 16:04.
Old 4th October 2013, 17:17   #532
BHPian

Quote:
For other stuff such as grip on cornering, steering under braking, comfort levels etc both the Turanza ER90 & AVS dB are way ahead of the LC. Here the direct competitor would be the Primacy 3ST. Within the Turanza price band, I would recommend that you take a look at the Apollo Accelare. These are reported to offer a very quiet ride without braking the bank and are made under technology collaboration with Michelin unless you want to pay the price for silence and get the Michelins (but hopefully not the XM2). EDIT :http://www.apollotyres.com/india/pas...yres/Acelere-0
So to summarise it Michelin Primacy 3ST is the all rounder if i am willing to spend, otherwise Apollo accelere's would be a good option.
3ST and avs 550db cost same. Accelers are cheaper by 1k each.
Old 6th October 2013, 20:36   #533
BHPian

Changed mine to db550s all four last year. Awesome performance. 2 thumbs up for sure. Upsizing that wee bit to 205 has ensured that scraping is near zero on speed breakers, etc.
car.lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 22:48   #534
BHPian

Is their a straight answer to the question -
Which is a better all rounder - primacy 3st or avs 550db ?
Old 6th October 2013, 22:56   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is their a straight answer to the question - Which is a better all rounder - primacy 3st or avs 550db ?
It seems like there isn't much to choose between the two. So the answer depends largely on brand preference, price, and your ability/willingness to take a risk with a new product.

Regards,
spadix
Old 6th October 2013, 23:51   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The AVS dB are great tires. My Mitsubishi has been riding on these in 195/60R15 size over the past 2+ years & approx. 30K Kms. Great tires in all aspects but the game has changed. The STs from Michelin offer all of the features of the DB but with the added advantage of being Bi-Directional tires unlike the AVS which are Unidirectional.

It seems you have missed out reading the now underlined portion (see above) of one of my earlier posts on the subject. If this does not settle the issue, well one can always flip a coin.

Quote:
Is their a straight answer to the question -
Which is a better all rounder - primacy 3st or avs 550db ?
Old 7th October 2013, 21:09   #537
BHPian

Got the Michelin Primacy 3ST 195/65 R15 for my civic today ! Costed 6100 a piece after adjusting 200 each for old tyre. Liked the tyre, although i felt they are a tad bit noisier ( although very silent) than XM2's when i bought for my Wagon R. Comfort wise very good. Thanks to all bhpians for the guidance.

Last edited by k2max6 : 7th October 2013 at 21:11.
k2max6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 10:26   #538
Senior - BHPian

Finally changed my stock Goodyear Eagle NCT5s. Three of them ran for 37787 km. One had gone completely bald by around the 32500 km mark, so the stepney tyre did "mains" duty for the last 5k kms. Now it's back as the stepney, and the other four have been replaced by Yoko AVS dB v550s in 195/65 R15 size.

Promptly did a Gurgaon - Amritsar - Gurgaon run over the weekend. The car was fully loaded - 4 adults, an infant, and luggage - and the tyres impressed with their low noise, better comfort levels and ride quality compared to the stock tyres, and what seemed like lower rolling resistance yet just slightly lower braking distance. Of course, most of these observations could be just because the NCT5s were almost bald as well. Didn't observe any noticeable difference in cornering grip levels (wet or dry) compared to stock. Nevertheless, very happy with my choice. 5800 per tyre and wheel alignment and balancing for free in exchange for the 4 old tyres.

Regards,
spadix
Old 15th October 2013, 11:28   #539
Senior - BHPian

That is a sweet deal. Could you share the location details/contact info for the dealer you bought them from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
5800 per tyre and wheel alignment and balancing for free in exchange for the 4 old tyres.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by khoj : 15th October 2013 at 11:30.
Old 15th October 2013, 13:31   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is a sweet deal. Could you share the location details/contact info for the dealer you bought them from.
I'm not sure if it's OK to mention the dealer's name in the public forum section - not fully conversant with the relevant rules - so PMing you the details.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks