Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2007, 23:02   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Can someone please explain in simple language (I'm not a scientist) why one gas will leak and another will not? The pressures being the same? I'm very puzzled by this!
This nitrogen Funda is puzzling to many scientific and non scientific people around !! There is a Thread posted here on its pros and cons. I am sure going through it would puzzle you more.
Old 16th August 2007, 23:32   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn48001 View Post
No. Sidewall damage is pure misfortune. Even the best quality tyre cannot survive cuts on the sidewall due to road hazards.
OK , i missed one point, poor tyre selection. If you have a very low profile tyre & expect that to perform like a tubed high profile tyre which you used previously, you are only fooling yourself.
Old 17th August 2007, 09:40   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzzme View Post
The normal air that we breathe and put in our tyres consist of 21% Oxygen and 78% Nitrogen.
Oxygen has smaller molecules as compared to Nitrogen so comparatively easy to escape.
The molecular mass of oxygen is 16 while that of nitrogen is 14!! so smaller you say. i dont think so. the advantage is the inertness of nitrogen.
Old 17th August 2007, 22:29   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn48001 View Post
This nitrogen Funda is puzzling to many scientific and non scientific people around !! There is a Thread posted here on its pros and cons. I am sure going through it would puzzle you more.

I'll take a look!
Old 18th August 2007, 00:37   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
A very nice article. Thanks E_L!
Old 18th August 2007, 11:32   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
The molecular mass of oxygen is 16 while that of nitrogen is 14!! so smaller you say. i dont think so. the advantage is the inertness of nitrogen.
I completly agree with you on inertness of Nitrogen. Nitrogen is more inert as compared to oxygen so does not react with rubber to damage it. But at the same time it has bigger molecular size(around 7% bigger) which enables better air retention. In this case moisture content is also low as compared to regular air, this prevents rusting of steel rims..
Old 20th August 2007, 12:56   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rusting of steel rims...!
We are talking tubeless here and mostly on alloy wheels. So where is rusting coming into picture? Further if rims are going to rust, then there is enough of it directly exposed to air and water itself.

So what I can make out of this discussion is as follows:
Filling Nitrogen at Rs.50 per tyre and then topping it up after 3 months (which apparently again costs same) does not make sense for daily drives. Some may want to consider it for an across India expedition.

After listening to it from so many people, I am now convinced that retaining air (normal air) is not one of the strengths of a tubeless tyres and it's only a marketing myth.

Though this does not mean that I do not advocate TLs, their other advantages of safety, comfort, low noise, still make them preferable over tubed ones.

Disclaimer: I have stock TLs on stock alloys on my car...
Old 20th August 2007, 22:52   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post

So what I can make out of this discussion is as follows:
Filling Nitrogen at Rs.50 per tyre and then topping it up after 3 months (which apparently again costs same) does not make sense for daily drives. Some may want to consider it for an across India expedition.

After listening to it from so many people, I am now convinced that retaining air (normal air) is not one of the strengths of a tubeless tyres and it's only a marketing myth.
I fully agree with you regarding the filling of nitrogen. It benifits the tyrewallahs and the manufacturers of the nitrogen generator.

As far the retention of air in TL goes, it is as good as tube types one, all the complaints of drop in pressure is because of small punctures or bad fittment of the tyres.
Old 21st August 2007, 12:54   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
We are talking tubeless here and mostly on alloy wheels. So where is rusting coming into picture? Further if rims are going to rust, then there is enough of it directly exposed to air and water itself.

Dear, not everbody runs on an alloy rim. And i meant usage of Nitrogen can only minimize rusting and not eliminate chances of rusting.

Rubber is porous in nature so permanent retention air is not possible. Tubeless tyre's strength is greater air retention in case of nail penetration
Old 10th June 2008, 18:55   #85
BHPian

Hi,
Sorry for my ignorance,but i would really be grateful to know
1)can tubetype tyres specially bridgestone me made tubeless while mounting them on alloy wheels(usuing tubeless valves)
2)If not then what are the reasons?
3)If they are still made tubeless (like in my case)what problems can i expect.
4)should i just go and put tubes back in my tyres.

My tyres read as tubetype
Old 16th June 2008, 10:15   #86
Team-BHP Support

scorpian, yes tube type can be made tubeless, on any type of rims, but its dangerous and you should not do it. The tube type tires are not designed for this type of use
Old 20th October 2008, 12:33   #87
BHPian

My Getz sports tube tryes and SX4 tubeless
I have observed in tube tryes i need to fill the air every 2 to 3 week to maintain the prescribed PSI but for tubeless tyres it even goes put to 5 to 6 weeks. Both car runs in almost similar conditions and KM's
Is that true that tubed tryes needs to be regularly checked for air

Last edited by aka_iitd : 20th October 2008 at 12:34.
Old 24th October 2008, 10:24   #88
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
My Getz sports tube tryes and SX4 tubeless
I have observed in tube tryes i need to fill the air every 2 to 3 week to maintain the prescribed PSI but for tubeless tyres it even goes put to 5 to 6 weeks. Both car runs in almost similar conditions and KM's
Is that true that tubed tryes needs to be regularly checked for air
I think the frequency of air pressure checking is same for both tubed & tubeless.
Old 24th October 2008, 10:28   #89
Senior - BHPian

I do not know much about road conditions in other cities, except to say that in most they would be a lot worse than in Delhi. In Delhi, I have run 30K on tubeless on Corolla without a single flat. In fact, my spare tyre has never touched the gravel.
Old 24th October 2008, 14:46   #90
Senior - BHPian

A good tubeless tyre well fitted is far far better than a tubed one. The advantages of a tubeless far outways the tubed ones.

Any tyre irrespective of it being tubed or tubeless should be maintained at the right pressure, especially if you are driving on highways and at higher speeds. So it is imperative that one checks their tyre for pressure once in 15 days. Its free in the petrol bunks and you may need to just tip the guy. But the peace you get far outweighs any of the other less desired consequences.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks