Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2007, 14:16   #16
BHPian

I have the PP1s on my Civic. PP2s weren't in stock and patience isn't a virtue, so got these right away. Very nice indeed
Old 21st August 2007, 15:10   #17
BHPian

Good choice of tyres, for another Ford.

Michelins are impeccable tyres, how are PP1, PP2 compared to XM1 energy?

I understand XM1's are specifically made for Indian cars and conditions.

By the way I am a customer too at Ashoka Wheels, the person here has very good knowledge of tyres, alloys wheels rather than othet guys hwo are only make money.
Old 21st August 2007, 15:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Where did you enquire about Yokohama in Hyd? After reading threads in tbhp, Yokohama is also in my list for my next change which is not very far away.
Old 21st August 2007, 16:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC12 View Post
Good choice of tyres, for another Ford.

I understand XM1's are specifically made for Indian cars and conditions.
I believe the Precedas are made for "Asian" conditions too: bad roads, noise etc. SO while I haven't driven on the XM1s, I can't comment on what's better. Anyways, I don't think there'll be a helluva difference between the two
Old 21st August 2007, 18:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
I believe the Precedas are made for "Asian" conditions too: bad roads, noise etc. SO while I haven't driven on the XM1s, I can't comment on what's better. Anyways, I don't think there'll be a helluva difference between the two
Actually Vikram, the Preceda's are not made for Asian conditions since they are mainly performance tyres. It is the Energy XM1's which are much better suited to our condition given their low road noise & excellent ride comfort.

And there is a helluva difference in their performance, the Preceda has amazing grip compared to the Energy's whereas the Preceda is not anywhere even close to the comfort provided by the Energy's.
Old 22nd August 2007, 09:26   #21
BHPian

Yes,

I have have seen on XM1 drive is much smooth and importantly is comfortable, less tyre noise , unlike MRF ZVTS which is not that great and claims as most comfortable tyre... heheheheh.
Old 22nd August 2007, 09:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Where did you enquire about Yokohama in Hyd? After reading threads in tbhp, Yokohama is also in my list for my next change which is not very far away.

Satish,

Try at Ashoka wheels.. Contact Ritesh 9391219111
Old 22nd August 2007, 12:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Actually Vikram, the Preceda's are not made for Asian conditions since they are mainly performance tyres. It is the Energy XM1's which are much better suited to our condition given their low road noise & excellent ride comfort.

And there is a helluva difference in their performance, the Preceda has amazing grip compared to the Energy's whereas the Preceda is not anywhere even close to the comfort provided by the Energy's.
I meant that they're performance tyres, which have been engineered to suit Asian conditions and that extensive testing has been done for these conditions, esp. with regards to the PP2s, mainly in the area of tyre noise.
Old 22nd August 2007, 12:36   #24
BHPian

Good rubber there... but your car is in desperate need of some good alloys. The handing would also improve by leaps n bounds!
Old 4th September 2007, 23:14   #25
BHPian

So far the tyres have been great. The ride has vastly improved just by bringing down the pressure to 30 PSI. Though this is what I was told was filled during installation, it was showing 31.

I agree with some of the comments that the PP1 wasnt great on wet conditions as this was the improvement made on the PP2. But reading around a lot, I realised this is an ideal choice if one is not doing too much wet weather driving above 100Kph. In dry conditions they are a gem.
Old 4th September 2007, 23:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Oh come on! You guys really think that travelling on PP2's above 100kmph is a problem? I've been using it throught some bad rains here & I'm very happy with the wet-weather performance. I don't think it lacks in any way & whatever improvement has been made to the PP2 can only be more beneficial to the tyre's overall performance.

Apart from that let me ask you guys, how many cars (stock) do you think there are in our market that can test the PP's limits under normal driving conditions? Discounting some nut case drivers obviously.
Old 5th September 2007, 00:36   #27
BHPian

Exactly Raghav. Most of the bad reviews of the PP1 on wet have been on extreme driving conditions (above 140kph cornering).

Wheels 2005 Tyre Test - aussiefrogs

This link rated the PP1 pretty high on everything except wet.

So complaints that they make a helluva difference in normal city driving, compared with the new PP2, isnt exactly fair. Even on the highways, if one is cornering in wet conditions at very high speeds, they must be insane.

Last edited by theexister : 5th September 2007 at 00:41.
Old 5th September 2007, 00:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Well cornering at 130kph in the wet is definitely not a problem with the PP2. Been there, done that. No issues with aquaplaning either. I've never had an experience with PP1 so really can't comment. Compared to these, my older Bridgestone Potenza was sad in wet weather.
Old 5th September 2007, 01:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Energy XM-1

"The Energy XM1 range of tyres has been developed using the Green "X" silica-based compound, which not only reduces the rolling resistance, resulting in lower fuel consumption, but also helps in replacing carbon black, which is a fossil fuel derivative," said Mr Herve Dub, Chief Executive Officer, Michelin India.

The Hindu Business Line : Michelin launches new range of tyres
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:39   #30
BHPian

This morning I noticed a few cuts on the sidewall of my rear left tyre.

I am positive these were not present even 2 weeks back because I had put on 3M tyre shiner.

Could this be dangerous and also I have read sidewall damage cannot be repaired.

Most Viewed