Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2007, 19:35   #1
BHPian

HELP! Uneven rear tyre wear in Wagon-R

My WagonR's rear wheel tyres have inside tyre wear. I have gone through the tyre bible and found that negative camber causes this problem. I have done wheel alignment every 1500 km since I changed to newer tyres. Twice I hit big potholes and my front wheel Rim got bent twice, and I did balancing alignment immediately after that.

Now when I asked at the alignment center about the uneven tyrewear, the guy asked me to check the bushes of rear suspension. I am confused whether the suspension is playing the foul or the alignment is playing the foul? Please help me.

Last edited by ravi@64bhp : 17th August 2007 at 19:52.
Old 17th August 2007, 23:29   #2
BHPian

Somebody please help.
Old 17th August 2007, 23:43   #3
Team-BHP Support

What was the tyre size?
Old 17th August 2007, 23:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What was the tyre size?
155/65 R13 Michelin XM1.
Old 17th August 2007, 23:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wagon R does not have independent suspension in the rear so there should be no alignment issues as u cannot adjust the rear suspension for caster,camber bla bla.
Go to the maruti authroised service station and let them check.
Old 18th August 2007, 00:01   #6
Team-BHP Support

Its not necessary that the tyres suffered the damage when they were at the rear. Its just that he has noticed it now. If ravi rotated the tyres it is possible that they were earlier in the front and suffered the uneven wear. Ravi, did you rotate the tyre some times back?
Old 18th August 2007, 00:20   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Its not necessary that the tyres suffered the damage when they were at the rear. Its just that he has noticed it now. If ravi rotated the tyres it is possible that they were earlier in the front and suffered the uneven wear. Ravi, did you rotate the tyre some times back?
Zappo,
Yes I did rotate once, just 3500 km back. But, the tyres were in good condition when I rotated. I am sure that, the uneven wear was not there when I rotated. I am sure the tyre wear happend when the tyres are at the back. But, I have to admit, I might not have that keen to observe the ear when I rotated the tyres, of course very less chance.

@humyum
A good point there. Will look into that.

Last edited by ravi@64bhp : 18th August 2007 at 00:22.
Old 18th September 2007, 13:56   #8
BHPian

After detecting the uneven wearout as above, I drove the car for 2000 km with the same problem, and found that the inner thread wareout is complete now. Now, I am almost convinced that there is some problem with the rear suspension. Last week, I have taken to MASS where he said, mostly it would be a bent axle rod that is causing the problem. I have a doubt here, the most probable cause for the bet rod would be hitting some stones (which happened twice), but then, I guess, it sould result in outer thread wareout. Can somebody plese clarify this?

Some mechanic also suggested a problem with coil springs?

Need some opinons from experts.
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
My WagonR's rear wheel tyres have inside tyre wear. I have gone through the tyre bible and found that negative camber causes this problem. I have done wheel alignment every 1500 km since I changed to newer tyres. Twice I hit big potholes and my front wheel Rim got bent twice, and I did balancing alignment immediately after that.

Now when I asked at the alignment center about the uneven tyrewear, the guy asked me to check the bushes of rear suspension. I am confused whether the suspension is playing the foul or the alignment is playing the foul? Please help me.
Hi Ravi,

What was the actual problem in your car then ? I am sure by now, u would have resolved the issue. Just curious to know of what caused the uneven wear in your case. Anything related to suspension or alignment ?
Old 14th June 2016, 18:17   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: HELP! Uneven rear tyre wear in Wagon-R

Hi all,

I have a WagonR which has run 35k kms. I have been facing outer tyre wear out in both the rear tyres due to a positive camber. I got it checked at Maruti A.S.S during my last service and they couldn't figure out anything. They just said that the "rear suspension might be bent due to accident or some road bump". They did the WB/WA and asked me to check me to check for few more kms. 4.5k kms later I find the problem is still there. Its time for me to change the tyres but I can't do so until this issue is sorted out.

Any pointers as to what could be wrong and how to repair it?
Old 14th June 2016, 19:35   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Hi all,

I have a WagonR which has run 35k kms. I have been facing outer tyre wear out in both the rear tyres due to a positive camber. I got it checked at Maruti A.S.S during my last service and they couldn't figure out anything. They just said that the "rear suspension might be bent due to accident or some road bump". They did the WB/WA and asked me to check me to check for few more kms. 4.5k kms later I find the problem is still there. Its time for me to change the tyres but I can't do so until this issue is sorted out.

Any pointers as to what could be wrong and how to repair it?
Looks like the rear suspension beam is a weak link in the WagonR.
Someone known to me had the same issue and he ended up changing the rear beam as it was bend.
Alternatively, you could take it to a good lathe shop and get the bend removed. I suggest, you'd better replace it with the latest model.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 14:38   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Looks like the rear suspension beam is a weak link in the WagonR.
Someone known to me had the same issue and he ended up changing the rear beam as it was bend.
Alternatively, you could take it to a good lathe shop and get the bend removed. I suggest, you'd better replace it with the latest model.
Is the part known as rear beam? Can I ask the MASS guys to directly look at the rear beam of the beam (since they seemed clueless last time)? BTW, I do have the latest model of the car (2011, pre-facelift) and AFAIK there was no suspension change in the next model. It was a minor cosmetic facelift with some additional features.

Last edited by ashis89 : 15th June 2016 at 14:40.
Old 4th July 2016, 16:28   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday I had given my car for a wash at a FNG. Casually, I brought up the positive camber issue and tyre wear on the rear wheels. He asked me whether I drive alone most of the times to which I replied in affirmative. He then said that the car has a slight positive camber and the wheels straighten out when loaded. He said I shouldn't bother much as this is a minor wear-out. If I go to MASS, they will rob me for something which isn't broke. How true can his claim be?
Old 4th July 2016, 17:02   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
He then said that the car has a slight positive camber and the wheels straighten out when loaded.
That may be true for a loading rickshaw not a wagon R for sure !! Have your rear suspension checked, it could be a worn bush.
WasavaTyres is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks