Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2015, 11:46   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
My Laura TSI is due for its third set of tyres.

First set was 205/55/16 Michelin Primacy LC which lasted 43,000 kms. Second set 225/50/16 Michelin Pilot Sport 3 has now completed about 28,000 kms and is close to wearing down to the TWI mark. Do note the car was remapped and stiffer dampers were added around the 40k mark and its been driven much harder since.

I don't think there's much choice in the size I'm looking for : 225/50/16. As per online research I've got the foll. options

1) Michelin Pilot Sport 3
2) Yoko Advan sport
3) Conti Sports Contact 3
Hi Santosh,

225/50-16 PS3 is the best no doubt.

Continental doesnt have any tyres in that size. Some of the dealers may have old tyres available of CPC2 but it is not worth it. Not even close to the PS3s.

Pirelli also doesnt have any option.

Will check for more options and let you know.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 16:05   #272
BHPian

I need to upgrade tyres for my TSI; on stock rims which is a desirable upgrade?
1) 205/60
2) 205/65
option 1 would be -1.18% smaller in circumference, option 2 would be bigger by 2%
What are the pros & cons of each, considering it's driven on bangalore's horrible roads?
Also if I spend about 60K could I change to 16" alloys with 205/55 tyres?
Thanks.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2020 at 21:57. Reason: Please avoid use of SMS lingo
Old 22nd March 2015, 23:24   #273
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
I need to upgrade tyres for my TSI; on stock rims which is a desirable upgrade?
1) 205/60
2) 205/65
option 1 would be -1.18% smaller in circumference, option 2 would be bigger by 2%
What are the pros & cons of each, considering it's driven on bangalore's horrible roads?
Also if I spend about 60K could I change to 16" alloys with 205/55 tyres?
thx.
Suggest either 205/60 in current alloys for an average drive
Or
205/65 in current alloys for a comfortable drive with more ground clearance as reqd for Bang.

Recommend a 205/55 in R16 alloys for a sporty drive or even better
225/55 in R16 for a comfortable plus sporty drive use ES501 Yoko for comfort or 205/55 S-Drive for Sporty (shorter tyre life though)
225/55 will also give more ground clearance as reqd for Bang. If not too comfortable with 225 oversize then go for 215 which is well in acceptable range.

I do not recommend a 225/50/R16 or 215/50/R16 as 50 is too low an aspect ratio and will be both a back breaker and will also hit speed bumps.

R16 alloy will of course look better.
Old 10th April 2015, 12:04   #274
BHPian

Need advise from all, have to change the tires of Skoda Laura (205/55 R16). This will be 3rd replacement for the same. OEM (Goodyear) lasted for only 28K kms, replaced the same with Bridgestone Potenza GIII 205/55 R16, which provided excellent value for money and still running flawlessly, after the car has done 1.10 lacs kms. with only one puncture in rear tire.

Time for next change, though quite satisfied with Bridgestone, yet can explore any better option as suggested.

Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 14:45   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
Need advise from all, have to change the tires of Skoda Laura (205/55 R16). This will be 3rd replacement for the same. OEM (Goodyear) lasted for only 28K kms, replaced the same with Bridgestone Potenza GIII 205/55 R16, which provided excellent value for money and still running flawlessly, after the car has done 1.10 lacs kms. with only one puncture in rear tire.

Time for next change, though quite satisfied with Bridgestone, yet can explore any better option as suggested.

Thanks
Hey Turbo Head!

Regarding new rubber, what's more important for you? Comfort? Noise? Grip? etc etc. Accordingly we can suggest some other brands/tyres.
Aston Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 15:24   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Hey Turbo Head!

Regarding new rubber, what's more important for you? Comfort? Noise? Grip? etc etc. Accordingly we can suggest some other brands/tyres.
To be honest never thought that tyres might change the vehicle dynamics so much. I just look for longevity, comfort and reliability from my rubber, never had any issues with grip (except the stock goodyear, which are absolutely useless in all parameters except cost), also never noticed any noise related issues.

(thinking first time about so many parameters, after putting more than 2 million kms in various odos )
Old 10th April 2015, 17:00   #277
BHPian

Quote:
To be honest never thought that tyres might change the vehicle dynamics so much. I just look for longevity, comfort and reliability from my rubber, never had any issues with grip (except the stock goodyear, which are absolutely useless in all parameters except cost), also never noticed any noise related issues.

(thinking first time about so many parameters, after putting more than 2 million kms in various odos )
I used to feel the same infact, never bothered so much about tyres. But they definitely improve/hamper the vehicle dynamics and most importantly they are your only contact with mother earth! so safety first

You can check out Michelin Primacy 3ST, Conti MC5, Apollo Vredestein, Yokohama AVS Db.

Hope this helps.
Old 11th April 2015, 01:54   #278
Senior - BHPian

2million kms is a lot of mileage. Are you sure you are not confusing 200,000 with 20,00,000 kms?

Not pointing fingers or anything but genuinely intrigued that someone can put in that many kilometres on the road

Quote:
Old 11th April 2015, 18:45   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
I used to feel the same infact, never bothered so much about tyres. But they definitely improve/hamper the vehicle dynamics and most importantly they are your only contact with mother earth! so safety first

You can check out Michelin Primacy 3ST, Conti MC5, Apollo Vredestein, Yokohama AVS Db.

Hope this helps.
It definitely helps, Thanks for your suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

2million kms is a lot of mileage. Are you sure you are not confusing 200,000 with 20,00,000 kms?

Not pointing fingers or anything but genuinely intrigued that someone can put in that many kilometres on the road
Oh, definitely yes, just to give you an idea, my 1982 STD RE has done around 4Lac + kms (more than 25 piston replacements), Laura 1.1 Lacs, Rapid 1 Lac, Swift 1.75 Lacs, Tuscan 2.85 Lacs, SX4 90k, Civic 60k and so on, hope you must have got the drift, what all must have gone through in these 25 yrs of driving/riding from the days of Premier Padmini and REs/RD350s/Yezdi to Land Cruiser and Hayabusa
Old 15th May 2015, 10:56   #280
BHPian

I am looking for a change in my laura from 205/55 16 to 205/60 16. There are 4 Goodyear Assurance available in that size for 17.5k. Is that good? I just need a comfortable and quiet tyres and this seemed like a great price. Would spending over 35k for M P3ST justified?
Old 15th May 2015, 18:35   #281
Senior - BHPian

My T Jet has the same OE size and IIRC none of the tyres in 16" can be both new/unused and yet priced within 20K for a set of 4. This could be a set that someone has exchanged off a new vehicle.

Anyhow, Goodyear tyres are quite for the initial 8-10K kms or so and then they start producing a booming sort of noise. I have experienced this over two different sets of GYs.

You would be far happier with the P3ST or the Yokohama AVS dB. Another quiet tire is the Bridgestone Turanza GR90. I have these on my Fiat in the exact same size i.e. 205/55R16 and these are very comfortable, rugged and quiet thus far @ 11K kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubin21 View Post
I am looking for a change in my laura from 205/55 16 to 205/60 16. There are 4 Goodyear Assurance available in that size for 17.5k. Is that good? I just need a comfortable and quiet tyres and this seemed like a great price. Would spending over 35k for M P3ST justified?
Old 11th June 2015, 19:35   #282
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
My T Jet has the same OE size and IIRC none of the tyres in 16" can be both new/unused and yet priced within 20K for a set of 4. This could be a set that someone has exchanged off a new vehicle.

Anyhow, Goodyear tyres are quite for the initial 8-10K kms or so and then they start producing a booming sort of noise. I have experienced this over two different sets of GYs.

You would be far happier with the P3ST or the Yokohama AVS dB. Another quiet tire is the Bridgestone Turanza GR90. I have these on my Fiat in the exact same size i.e. 205/55R16 and these are very comfortable, rugged and quiet thus far @ 11K kms
I bought the GY Assurance 205/60 R16 for ~17K from Snapdeal, i was expecting the tyres to be manufactured earlier, but to my surprise the manufacuring date was '1515' 15th week of 2015! And they were new too and not someone's changed tyres, Couldn't have asked for more. Plus for additional 350 rs, Snapdeal arranged me an installation nearby along with balancing/alignment!! (Only weights and valves if any are charged extra). Even if they last 20K kms, its more than worth it, and so far i am not finding any reason to complain, the mileage is hardly affected with increased comfort and higher GC.
Old 15th June 2015, 08:03   #283
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubin21 View Post
I bought the GY Assurance 205/60 R16 for ~17K from Snapdeal, i was expecting the tyres to be manufactured earlier, but to my surprise the manufacuring date was '1515' 15th week of 2015! And they were new too and not someone's changed tyres, Couldn't have asked for more. Plus for additional 350 rs, Snapdeal arranged me an installation nearby along with balancing/alignment!! (Only weights and valves if any are charged extra). Even if they last 20K kms, its more than worth it, and so far i am not finding any reason to complain, the mileage is hardly affected with increased comfort and higher GC.
That is an Incredible price.

Somehow raises a doubt about them being genuine.

Would still suggest that you check with an GY authorised centre if they are original incase they have a way of confirming.

Tyres do face a problem of fakes. This is not to dampen spirits. But if the product is genuine many others could use your method to buy and save money. Even a 20k life would be acceptable ad suggested by yourself.
Old 15th June 2015, 14:14   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
That is an Incredible price.

Somehow raises a doubt about them being genuine.

Would still suggest that you check with an GY authorised centre if they are original incase they have a way of confirming.

Tyres do face a problem of fakes. This is not to dampen spirits. But if the product is genuine many others could use your method to buy and save money. Even a 20k life would be acceptable ad suggested by yourself.
Well can be; but there are waffle blades in the original tyres as advertised by GY which i personally checked using a screw driver to see as they need to be pried open to see those. I could see those in all the tyres, so i assume those being genuine as someone who would be copying those wont go into such details to manufacture it as it would result in nothing more than increased costs! My inspection doesnt lead me to suspect anything foul but no one knows. If this is fake, these are damn too good and cheap to be fake!! See the below link for the waffles.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...e-tyres-2.html
Zubin21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 20:47   #285
BHPian

Be rest assured that your tyres are genuine. This particular tyre has seen it's price go south month on month ever since it started rolling out as OE with the Ford ecosport. Maybe it's economies of scale at work.
Earlier it was OE on the Renault Fluence and the Skoda Yeti, both of which sold sparsely. It's fantastic value for money as it comes with a 2 year unconditional warranty ( provided you obtain a warranty card and register your tyres online) and a further 3 year warranty against manufacturing defects (total warranty of 5 years)
WasavaTyres is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed