Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2017, 22:07   #316
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Had a question for those running after market alloys on your Skoda. Are the after market ones (Momo, Oz, Borbet etc.,) as sturdy when compared to the OEM alloys? Would you recommend switching to well known after market ones or stick to OEM? I understand they could be lighter than OEM based on the variants but wasnt sure of their daily usage abilities on our roads.
Old 24th December 2017, 14:06   #317
BHPian

Hi. I have very recently procured a 2012 pre-owned Skoda Laura 1.8TSI.
The car is fantastic to drive and there's a very big bump in the stability and the power as compared to my 2005 Toyota Corolla.

However, the tyres on the Laura (Good Year Assurance 195/65 R15) are a little used up and do not really perform well especially considering the power available on tap in the Laura. Also the right rear tyre had its belts broken and was causing a lot of hopping under acceleration. So I had this tyre changed to my spare tyre (a 2012 Goodyear NCT5 195/65 R15)

Now I do plan to get the wheels and tires upgraded on the Laura, apart from a few more performance upgrades but it is not going to be so soon. I want to spend time with 160 horses and get used to them before I feel that I want more power.

I have very recently put Bridgestone B290's 195/60 R15's on the Corolla. Since the Laura is the new toy in my garage and sooner or later the Corolla will have to go, I wanted to understand if I can put the Bridgestones (195/60 R15's) temporarily as compared to the stock size (195/65 R15's) on the Laura.

I do understand that the Laura needs performance oriented tires and I may face a fair amount of wheelspin and the TC light will keep flickering almost every time I push the throttle slightly harder, I do not want to unnecessarily spend on a set of tires and get stuck with them for another 25k to 30k kms.

If I could get to know the following:
1. Is this whole exercise possible?
2. If Yes, then approximately how much will the car's ground clearance reduce when the aspect ratio changes from 65(stock) to 60(Corolla's tires)?
3. Apart from the ground clearance, should I be looking at doing anything additional? (Please note that the car is on stock suspension right now)
4. Anything anybody over here would like to mention that I am missing out on?

Regards,
DM99
Old 24th December 2017, 18:31   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawalmakwana99 View Post
I have very recently put Bridgestone B290's 195/60 R15's on the Corolla. Since the Laura is the new toy in my garage and sooner or later the Corolla will have to go, I wanted to understand if I can put the Bridgestones (195/60 R15's) temporarily as compared to the stock size (195/65 R15's) on the Laura.
Yes, as far as I understand, that 5% deviation should be alright. But those tyres are definitely not recommended on a TSI.

Quote:
I do understand that the Laura needs performance oriented tires and I may face a fair amount of wheelspin and the TC light will keep flickering almost every time I push the throttle slightly harder, I do not want to unnecessarily spend on a set of tires and get stuck with them for another 25k to 30k kms.
I wish it was just wheel spin and TCS light flashing. Tyres are some of the most important components that decide the safety of you and fellow passengers. There is no such thing as 'unnecessarily' spending on good tyres especially when you know you have a powerful motor.

Quote:
If I could get to know the following:
1. Is this whole exercise possible?
2. If Yes, then approximately how much will the car's ground clearance reduce when the aspect ratio changes from 65(stock) to 60(Corolla's tires)?
3. Apart from the ground clearance, should I be looking at doing anything additional? (Please note that the car is on stock suspension right now)
4. Anything anybody over here would like to mention that I am missing out on?
Possible, not recommended. The GC reduction will be negligible. Laura by default has a lot of GC so you should be good. Nothing else that you have do, just remember to drive easy with those sad tyres - with the power and speeds the TSI can make, you could land yourself in trouble if you're not careful with your wheels and tyres.

I somehow think the TSI comes with 15" wheels and cheap tyres only because they know that a TSI enthusiast will always upgrade them before even imagining a mod. So they make the car cheaper and leave it to the enthusiast to pick and choose some good wheels and tyres.
rocksterraghu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 19:59   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post

I somehow think the TSI comes with 15" wheels and cheap tyres only because they know that a TSI enthusiast will always upgrade them before even imagining a mod. So they make the car cheaper and leave it to the enthusiast to pick and choose some good wheels and tyres.
Absolutely right. I myself am not in the favor of my decision to put my Corolla's tires only because of the safety involved. I have decided to bit the bullet and get myself a pair of Michelin's. Even if I have to stick with them for about 30k odd kms.

Thank you!
Old 18th January 2018, 20:38   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

I, for one, like the fact that Laura 1.8 TSI came with 15" wheels. The stock NCT5s were decent too. When I had to change them, I went for Continental MC5s which are superior, silent and grip levels are super, but stuck to 15". Very little to NIL torque steer or squeal. and the ride quality is comfortable due to 15". And another very important aspect for me - 15" cost way lesser than 16" tyre prices go up exponentially with size!

EDIT: Just realized the discussion is about profile. I would say stick to 195/65/R15. Ride and handling both are good with this stock size!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 18th January 2018 at 20:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks