Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2015, 17:14   #286
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Be rest assured that your tyres are genuine. This particular tyre has seen it's price go south month on month ever since it started rolling out as OE with the Ford ecosport. Maybe it's economies of scale at work.
Earlier it was OE on the Renault Fluence and the Skoda Yeti, both of which sold sparsely. It's fantastic value for money as it comes with a 2 year unconditional warranty ( provided you obtain a warranty card and register your tyres online) and a further 3 year warranty against manufacturing defects (total warranty of 5 years)
Thats great to hear! Anyways i had very little doubt on them not being genuine and I am very happy with the performance of these, and for the price that i got them; I think they are plain steal. I just ordered the 5th one for the spare in case they are all sold out
All in all, i had xm2 in my earlier car which costed 50% more than this and to be honest they were way worse than this one. So i guess its a great deal for anyone looking out to change tyres in this size.
Old 30th June 2015, 15:28   #287
BHPian

Have Put Hankooks V12's for my Skoda Laura, I must say they are value for money tyres, the road noise has come down plus they feel adequate grippy.

Was contemplating on Michilins but the price difference and a good word from my friend made me go this way. Michilins were costing me 9700/tyre and Hankooks 7500/tyre.

Its just been 250kms in the new tyres so will update once I take it on a highway drive.

BR
Old 19th September 2015, 11:39   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Will be Zeroing in on the S-drives or DB-S2 (215/55 R16) .
Going for the Installation tomorrow @ Saifee Tyres.
Hi Karan, I am also planning to change my tyres this week at Saifee. I was planning the 205/55/R16. I have a Skoda laura TDI AT. Which are the tires you bought ? Are you happy with them? Road noise, grip, monsoon usage?? Experience with saifee ??
Can you drop me a mail at njo@zebecmarine.com

Regards,
Naval.
Old 19th September 2015, 11:55   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacat View Post
Hi Karan, I am also planning to change my tyres this week at Saifee. I was planning the 205/55/R16. I have a Skoda laura TDI AT. Which are the tires you bought ? Are you happy with them? Road noise, grip, monsoon usage?? Experience with saifee ??
Can you drop me a mail at njo@zebecmarine.com

Regards,
Naval.
Hello,

Thats a very old post you've quoted me there buddy, the car is sold too but still il answer your query

That time i bought Bridgestone Potenza G III tyres & the size was 215/55 R16 (hence a upsize)

It was running fine and running without any trouble at all.

If i had to buy a tyre today in that size i'd go in for the Michelin Primacy 3ST or Continental Max Contact 5
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 10:22   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Hello,

Thats a very old post you've quoted me there buddy, the car is sold too but still il answer your query

That time i bought Bridgestone Potenza G III tyres & the size was 215/55 R16 (hence a upsize)

It was running fine and running without any trouble at all.

If i had to buy a tyre today in that size i'd go in for the Michelin Primacy 3ST or Continental Max Contact 5
Hi Karan,
Bought the Michelin Primary ST3 . Undoubtedly super. Thanks again !!
Seacat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 10:50   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacat View Post
Hi Karan,
Bought the Michelin Primary ST3 . Undoubtedly super. Thanks again !!
Great choice Seacat

Michelins are unbeatable when it comes to comfort & grip balance.

Im sure after you let you tyre run in (about 500 kms) the grip levels will further increase.

Enjoy & post pictures when you can

Last edited by karan561 : 21st September 2015 at 10:51.
Old 22nd September 2015, 14:19   #292
BHPian

Hi, does anyone know (apart from the the Skoda dealers/service stations) where I can purchase the wheel hub emblems. Somebody stole mine.
Kind regards,
Old 5th October 2015, 13:10   #293
BHPian

I have read some good words about Michelins Primacy ST3, lot of people vouch for its comfort and low noise, but what about the longevity or life of the tyres ?

I am currently using Bridgestone Potenza GIII (2nd set now) and nodoubt they give excellent life (typically 70-80k kms) and excellent protection (very few incidents of puncture), but makes too much noise which intrudes in the cabin and spoils the overall pleasure of silent driving.
Old 21st October 2015, 12:39   #294

Hello,

Was looking for some guidance on buying new tires, should i go for stock size 195/65 R15 or 205/60/R15. Michelin or Yokohama. Open to either.

Looking for-
1.Perfomance
2.Comfort
3.Reliability

In that order.

Do let me know what you guys would recommend.

Cheers!
Old 25th October 2015, 02:01   #295
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehangir View Post
Hello,

Was looking for some guidance on buying new tires, should i go for stock size 195/65 R15 or 205/60/R15. Michelin or Yokohama. Open to either.

Looking for-
1.Perfomance
2.Comfort
3.Reliability

In that order.

Cheers!
You can upsize for the Laura. But the issue is that one just can't get performance and comfort both in the same tyre. That is very similar to wanting performance and economy. While the upsize to 205 with smaller sidewalls imply more performance and lesser yet acceptable comfort as it is R15. The tyre type selection as in S Drive or say ES501 in yokohama will for example imply high performance or high confort but not both. Mic with PS3 may be best combo.
Old 26th October 2015, 18:28   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

Looking for-
1.Perfomance
2.Comfort
3.Reliability

In that order.

Cheers!
Was running the 205/60/15 setup for a bit before moving to 225/55/16.

There is hardly a difference in the move from 195 to 205. Atleast i didnt feel any. If you can, move to 16s.

Do note that 205/60/15 is more expensive than 195/65/15 and has limited options.

Since performance is your primary concern, move to 16s and get Michelins.

Rohan
Old 6th November 2015, 08:40   #297

Thanks guys, will update the final outcome shortly.
Old 19th November 2015, 20:01   #298
BHPian

So I've decided to downgrade my 17"ers and am going back to the stock 15"ers on the Laura TSi.

Need a new set of shoes, something that is comfortable, low road noise and still decent enough to handle the punch of the horses once in a while.

Was considering going in for the following:

Continental MC5 - 205/60/15
Yoko DB Series - 205/60/15

Any suggestions?

The car is a power horse so grip, breaking and cornering will hold some priority, even if I have to sacrifice a bit on the road noise.

Open to all suggestions, although a 16" upgrade isn't an option at the moment.

Haven't considered the Michelin's due to the softness and limited life span.

Last edited by Unrealistic : 19th November 2015 at 20:03.
Old 19th November 2015, 23:18   #299
BHPian

Quote:

Looking for-
1.Perfomance
2.Comfort
3.Reliability
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrealistic View Post
Need a new set of shoes, something that is comfortable, low road noise and still decent enough to handle the punch of the horses once in a while.

Was considering going in for the following:

Continental MC5 - 205/60/15
Yoko DB Series - 205/60/15

The car is a power horse so grip, breaking and cornering will hold some priority, even if I have to sacrifice a bit on the road noise.

I recently faced a similar decision, had a similar decision making criteria and I upgraded to the Yokohama AVS db v550 and I'm in love with them.

I considered the following, and fortunately was able to test drive most of the tires to come to a decision:
1. Michelin Primacy 3ST: They were silent, but I hated their lack of steering feel and the general sense of lightness. The car never felt in control with them. Braking performance was ok but lateral grip seemed less, plus, you'll never get the confidence to throw them into corners.

2. Continental MC5: All comparisons spoke of them being a great (and cheaper) alternative to the Michelin P3ST, with the same characterises. Since I couldn't test drive these tires, and I want another tire similar to the Michelins , I skipped this option.

3. S-Drives: Loved their steering feel and the grip, but their noise levels drove me crazy. So, dropped this option.

4. Yokohama AVS db v550: Had heard of them being a good mix of performance plus silence, and reviewers using cars such as Jaguar & Lexus spoke of the surprisingly high grip along with the comfort + silence, plus, I liked the dealer (Deepak Kataria, STAR Wheels, Gurgaon) so took a leap of faith.

I've driven them for 700km now and they are spectacular. They have a better steering feel than the S-Drives, with a quicker steering response, great braking & great lateral grip. Not sure if the S-Drives are grippier (I suspect they're not), or Michelin P3ST's are more silent (even if they are quieter, it will be marginal) but as a combination of qualities, I'm incredibly happy with the tires. Been through one panic breaking incident from about 100kmph, and they performed awesomely, with no squealing. They tires are made in Japan, but are manufactured for India, so are ISI marked, and came with a Yokohama Guarantee Card. They were 1 year old (dealer informed me of this in advance), but since tires have a minimum service life of 6 years, and there's no way the tread lasts that long with my usage this wasn't an issue for me. I understand that they typically last about 50,000 km.

Last edited by bosporus : 19th November 2015 at 23:23.
bosporus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 22:44   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
I recently faced a similar decision, had a similar decision making criteria and I upgraded to the Yokohama AVS db v550 and I'm in love with them.

I considered the following, and fortunately was able to test drive most of the tires to come to a decision:
1. Michelin Primacy 3ST: They were silent, but I hated their lack of steering feel and the general sense of lightness. The car never felt in control with them. Braking performance was ok but lateral grip seemed less, plus, you'll never get the confidence to throw them into corners.

2. Continental MC5: All comparisons spoke of them being a great (and cheaper) alternative to the Michelin P3ST, with the same characterises. Since I couldn't test drive these tires, and I want another tire similar to the Michelins , I skipped this option.

3. S-Drives: Loved their steering feel and the grip, but their noise levels drove me crazy. So, dropped this option.

4. Yokohama AVS db v550: Had heard of them being a good mix of performance plus silence, and reviewers using cars such as Jaguar & Lexus spoke of the surprisingly high grip along with the comfort + silence, plus, I liked the dealer (Deepak Kataria, STAR Wheels, Gurgaon) so took a leap of faith.

I've driven them for 700km now and they are spectacular. They have a better steering feel than the S-Drives, with a quicker steering response, great braking & great lateral grip. Not sure if the S-Drives are grippier (I suspect they're not), or Michelin P3ST's are more silent (even if they are quieter, it will be marginal) but as a combination of qualities, I'm incredibly happy with the tires. Been through one panic breaking incident from about 100kmph, and they performed awesomely, with no squealing. They tires are made in Japan, but are manufactured for India, so are ISI marked, and came with a Yokohama Guarantee Card. They were 1 year old (dealer informed me of this in advance), but since tires have a minimum service life of 6 years, and there's no way the tread lasts that long with my usage this wasn't an issue for me. I understand that they typically last about 50,000 km.
Hey,

Thanks for your input. I've effectively ruled out the Michelins. The S-Drives were never in the running considering I'm coming from 17" PS3's and sporty tyres are out of the question.

Unfortunately, I'm still on the fence between the Yoko DB and Conti CMC5. Would love to get someone's feedback on those.

Last edited by Unrealistic : 20th November 2015 at 22:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks