Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2007, 18:34   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Ok thanks - Do let me know what it cost.

Of late I have started hearing some pretty rubbing of metal to metal noise from my rear brakes - I think I should get these checked as well !!

I wanted Turanzas but then I liked the Michelin Patterns quite a lot - especially the outer wall !!

Will get Turanzas or G3's for my accent which is due for a change after 5k or so kms. Cheers !!
probably your brake shoes. get them checked out and replaced if need be.
Old 27th September 2007, 22:30   #47
Senior - BHPian

Yeah I think so. Have never gotten these changed. Thanks for the Info Akshay !!
Old 29th September 2007, 09:20   #48
rks
BANNED

@vkochar, here is my bill for major parts:

1. Shock absorber assy-RR (2 items)---------Rs 1449.50
2. Strut assy-FR LH-------------------------Rs 1180.50
3. Strut assy-FR RH-------------------------Rs 1180.50
4. Pad-RR Spring UPR (2 items)-------------- Rs 220
5. End Assy-Tie rod (2 items)----------------Rs 803
6. Ball joint assy-INR (2 items)---------------Rs 3372
7. Cover assy-clutch------------------------Rs 707
8. Disc assy-clutch--------------------------Rs 891
9. Bearing-clutch release---------------------Rs 431

The first 4 items pertain to suspension, 5-6 to steering and 7-9 for clutch. For the shock abosrbers I spent a total of about Rs 3800 (see 1-3). Add another Rs 200 for labour cost.

I suggest you get your car's suspension and steering components checked before fitting new tyres.

@vid6639, I took the car to Mumbai yesterday and the handling was outstanding with the new Turanza ER-60 tyres. As I recollect, the S322 tubeless tyres were also very good while they were new. But after they were worn out a little, the handling became noticeably poorer. It could have been due to the fact that my suspension and steering were not in the best of health, and that could also explain why my S322 tyes lasted only 24000 kms (apart from the high speeds on the Expressway concrete). Now the suspension and steering are in superb condition and I hope the Turanza tyres maintain the good handling even after, say, 25000 kms.

I am keeping tyre pressures at 35 psi. The improvement in pickup and speed is amazing as you go from 30 to 35 psi. The fuel economy has not yet been measured, but my estimate is about 13 km/lit for the drive yesterday, which is just about the same as before. I think the Turanza tyres have lower rolling resistance despite the fact that they are softer and grip better than S322. They are much more silent as well.

Last edited by rks : 29th September 2007 at 09:23.
Old 29th September 2007, 09:28   #49
Team-BHP Support

rks, I suspect that your last set of tyres lasted only for 24000kms as tyre pressure of 35psi is on teh higher side leading to premature wear.

My first set of tyres lasted me 52K kms. I changed them only cause they were old although they had tread left. Now the Turanza's even after 12K kms show hardly any wear.

By increasing the pressure although you may be reducing the rolling resistance there will be more wear on the tyre.

Also, how many kms has your done? If it's only 24000kms then your suspension has also suffered premature wear. This could also be because of the higher tyre pressures as teh suspension has been made to work harder.

I have never heard of Santro needing suspension work and S322 tyres getting changed at 24000kms.
Old 29th September 2007, 09:46   #50
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
By increasing the pressure although you may be reducing the rolling resistance there will be more wear on the tyre.

Also, how many kms has your done? If it's only 24000kms then your suspension has also suffered premature wear. This could also be because of the higher tyre pressures as teh suspension has been made to work harder.

I have never heard of Santro needing suspension work and S322 tyres getting changed at 24000kms.
My car has done 58000 kms. On my tubetype S322 tyres, I did a total of about 34000 kms -- 11000 kms in Bangalore (mainly city) and about 23000 kms in Pune (mainly highway, Pune-Mumbai).

With tubleless S322 tyres, I was doing same-side rotation, meaning 3 tyres on the right hand side on two on the left. The ones on the left wore out to the tread-wear indicator after about 24000 kms; one of the tyres on the right was lost at 23000 kms due to a sidewall bulge upon hitting a massive pothole. The other two on the right had enough tread left to last another 10000 kms. I probably could have extracted another 5000 kms even from the left-side tyres, but I decided to play safe. This time I am going to do diagonal rotation, which should give me a better tyre life.

Regarding higher tyre pressures, they could cause the tyres to get damaged as you hit kerbs, stones or potholes. As long as there is no uneven tread wear (there isn't in my case) the tread life should increase with higher pressures. And the ride will be slightly more bouncy, so the suspension and steering components' life could come down a little. I did have to change my shocks at 58000 kms and the steering column was rattling badly, so that had to be attended to. But that I think was due to hitting quite a few potholes in the last 2 years and cornering over-enthusiastically. Now the roads are being maintained better and I plan to be more careful.

There is undoubtedly a substantial improvement in mileage (as much as 1-1.5 km/lit) with the higher tyre pressures, apart from the increase in pickup and speed.

Last edited by rks : 29th September 2007 at 09:52.
Old 29th September 2007, 11:28   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
@vkochar, here is my bill for major parts:

The first 4 items pertain to suspension, 5-6 to steering and 7-9 for clutch. For the shock abosrbers I spent a total of about Rs 3800 (see 1-3). Add another Rs 200 for labour cost.

I suggest you get your car's suspension and steering components checked before fitting new tyres.
Thanks RkS for the breakup.

I have already gotten the tyres changed - Michelin Tubeless XM1 155/70 - rides like a dream. Handling has improved drastically. Also got a free Reebok Tracksuit

Same reason of mine as well for getting the old S322's changed - It was 49700 kms on the old ones but they were so old I thought better to get it changed before a tyre explodes or something - mainly my car is used by Ladies - ( Mom, Wifey, Sis ) so just for precaution.

I do not think there is anything wrong with my suspension but there is definetely with my rear brake shoes. Will get these changed ASAP.

Problem here in Agra is that the Hyundai Guys are Idiots - they always overcharge you. I prefer to get my car done in Delhi - so will get a check up once I am there.

Tell me one thing - A month back my exhaust pipe had a hole near to the silencer, It had been welded once - I took it to hyundai who said its going to cost me 6k for getting the whole thing changed - I then took it to the local Welding guy who did spend a good 4 hours reparing the whole thing - welded it and cost me only 500 Rupees. I hope there is nothing wrong here. It does not make any noise anymore and rides great. Just thought I'd ask you since I am not a techie in cars. Cheers !!

Last edited by vkochar : 29th September 2007 at 11:30.
Old 29th September 2007, 11:53   #52
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Problem here in Agra is that the Hyundai Guys are Idiots - they always overcharge you. I prefer to get my car done in Delhi - so will get a check up once I am there.

Tell me one thing - A month back my exhaust pipe had a hole near to the silencer, It had been welded once - I took it to hyundai who said its going to cost me 6k for getting the whole thing changed - I then took it to the local Welding guy who did spend a good 4 hours reparing the whole thing - welded it and cost me only 500 Rupees. I hope there is nothing wrong here. It does not make any noise anymore and rides great. Just thought I'd ask you since I am not a techie in cars. Cheers !!
I am not that much of a techie either. The only problem with these repair jobs is that they may not last long and you may have an unanticipated failure. That is the main reason Hyundai guys go for replacement rather than repair, once the anticipated life of the exhaust pipe/muffler is over (in which case they could just fall off unexpectedly). My suggestion is that if you get another leak in the near future, you can go for replacement with an aftermarket tail pipe/muffler. This should cost you much less, say, Rs. 3500, as compared to the original Hyundai stuff and should last longer if it is made of SS (as compared to Hyundai's MS). That is what I have done when my original tail pipe/muffler fell off after about 5 years. I paid the price for ignoring the increasingly loud exhaust noise.

The locally made tail pipe lasted another two years (basically 3 Mumbai monsoons, which is pretty servere on the tail pipe/muffler). I have just got it replaced by Sanjay Hyundai at Rs 741; the aftermarket SS muffler is still going strong. I forgot to include this in my expenses bill posted above.
Old 29th September 2007, 11:59   #53
Senior - BHPian

MODS/RKS - Can we please seperate RKS's suspension replacement & the related posts into a seperate thread please? This thread is getting cluttered with totally OT posts.
Old 9th October 2007, 16:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

Another bangy bhp'ian fell prey to the S-drives. A pic' of his cars tyre.

1) Tyre : Yokohama S-drive.
2) Recommendation/Review : Brilliant set of tyres. Noise aint too high and the ride isnt hard with the 50 profiles.

I have driven my car around quite a bit since I got these and they simply are splendid. The car feels glued to the road while doing high speeds and while taking corners there's no squeal of any kind.

Recommended if you cant afford the Bridgestones or chewing gums(Neova's).

PS : Bhishma I hope you dont have problems me posting a pic of your alloy.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 9th October 2007 at 16:30.
Old 9th October 2007, 16:38   #55
Senior - BHPian

Riju
Is that 205/50-16??
Which car is it??
Old 9th October 2007, 16:49   #56
Senior - BHPian

Prajesh they are (205/50/R15) 15 inchers on OZ alloys. greatdrive is the righteous owner of this Fiat Petra.
Old 9th October 2007, 16:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Great tyre choice and nice OZ rims.
Also good to see that OZs are available in 98 PCD..
Old 9th October 2007, 17:42   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Recommended if you cant afford the Bridgestones or chewing gums(Neova's).
which bridgestones are you talking about? g3s?
Old 20th December 2007, 13:41   #59

i have Goodyear Ducaro GA 195/60/14 on my Lancer and they are on their way out, done just 28K!!! Should last another 1k. Been noisy almost all the time. Thinking of going back to my previous tires, Falken ZE326...
Any tips on what is good on a Lancer?

Cheers!
Old 20th December 2007, 16:12   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by click.matty View Post
i have Goodyear Ducaro GA 195/60/14 on my Lancer and they are on their way out, done just 28K!!! Should last another 1k. Been noisy almost all the time. Thinking of going back to my previous tires, Falken ZE326...
Any tips on what is good on a Lancer?

Cheers!
There are many better tyres for Lancer than the Falkens.
Search around for Lancer tyre threads.

Most Viewed