Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2007, 00:42   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey,

Amazed that the Yoko tyre dealers haven't put up the Yokohama ES100 tread yet!

Anyways, I swapped my Aveo's stock 185/60/R14 Goodyear NCTs for 195/60/R14 Yoko ES100 about 500km back. Kept my 5.5J stock rims.

My thoughts:
1. Much better grip especially in corners and hard braking.
2. Much lowered body roll. I can take the same curve at 60km/hr where I would have stopped at 40km/hr earlier.
4. Ride feels much more settled and 'heavy' as if in a much bigger and heavier car.
3. Mileage drop not noticeable yet but only 1 tankfull so far.
4. Road noise not noticeably more or less.
5. ES100s prone to tramlining on Bangalore 'roads'. But nothing alarming; just needs getting used to. Steering responses razor sharp.
6. Losing about 1/2 psi from tyres (specially front) every week. Not sure if this is standard with tubeless on steel rims. Not an issue for me as I religiously check air pressures every Sunday.
7. Tyres bulge out slightly from wheelarches but 205s could also fit without looking strange.
8. Stunning looks: Really does change the look of the Aveo. Especially if I can slip in a set of Plati rims next month :-)
9. The ES100s were cheap at 3,300 each. Michelin PP2s (my other option) were 4,200 each and beyond my budget.

Pictures
ImageShack - Hosting :: image55cn7.jpg
http://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image56mz2.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: image53cj5.jpg

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st December 2007 at 00:47. Reason: Pictures
Old 21st December 2007, 00:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
razor sharp.
6. Losing about 1/2 psi from tyres (specially front) every week. Not sure if this is standard with tubeless on steel rims. Not an issue for me as I religiously check air pressures every Sunday.
No, it's not standard with steel rims. You have punctures!!!
Old 21st December 2007, 10:38   #63
BHPian

Review Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD2
I am running 205 60 R15 F1's. Replaced the stock tyres of my Swift the very day I got the car. I was not aware of performance tyres et all the info I had to know before I went for it.

People out here will say its the wrong upsize and it has to be 55 and not 60 well as I said I was unaware of this.

My car has done 40k KM till date and the tyre wear well its almost totally bald. Tyre wear was seen at around 25k on the odo I guess I've stretched the tyre to the limit. Till date only two punctures (both post 35k on the odo). Grip is amazin, one can change lanes on cruves doing excess of 100 kmph (I've done that many a times) without flinching. Tyre Noise is really bad. I was told as the GSD2 lack grooves in the center of the tyre the road noise really bugs you. Max life I would say is 25k KM.

Going for 205/55/R15 Yoko S - Drives for my next set. Trying to get mu hands on a set but its our of stock at the Bangalore distributor. I had to call the Delhi Yoko office numbers who inturn put me to a South India Distributor in Cochin and he put he through to the Bangalore distributor from Millivision near Lalbagh Main gate. I guess he would surely give you the best price for your Yoko's. He had received 83 sets of S - Drives last Saturday and every one of them was taken either by dealers (10 in Bangalore) I am expecting his call for the next set to arrive to change my tyres.
Old 21st December 2007, 12:11   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Anarchist,

Looks like you also went the Yoko Delhi - Mathew (Cochin) - Govind (Bangalore) route.

I also tried to get ES100s from Govind but he didn't have stock. Yoko should get its act together and quickly beef up its operations in South India! Come on, there are buyers WAITING for the tyres and they can't guarantee stock in Bangalore from their Delhi warehouse.

Also, just how long does it take to set up a India-specific website? Their email domain is yokohama-india.com but the site is not yet up. They are either taking Indian consumers for granted or are inept.

See Michelin India. Excellent and detailed website, efficient and wide dealer network, excellent products (XM1, PP2) although SLIGHTLY expensive.

IMHO, shame on Yokohama 'India'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
Review Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD2
I am running 205 60 R15 F1's. Replaced the stock tyres of my Swift the very day I got the car. I was not aware of performance tyres et all the info I had to know before I went for it.

People out here will say its the wrong upsize and it has to be 55 and not 60 well as I said I was unaware of this.

My car has done 40k KM till date and the tyre wear well its almost totally bald. Tyre wear was seen at around 25k on the odo I guess I've stretched the tyre to the limit. Till date only two punctures (both post 35k on the odo). Grip is amazin, one can change lanes on cruves doing excess of 100 kmph (I've done that many a times) without flinching. Tyre Noise is really bad. I was told as the GSD2 lack grooves in the center of the tyre the road noise really bugs you. Max life I would say is 25k KM.

Going for 205/55/R15 Yoko S - Drives for my next set. Trying to get mu hands on a set but its our of stock at the Bangalore distributor. I had to call the Delhi Yoko office numbers who inturn put me to a South India Distributor in Cochin and he put he through to the Bangalore distributor from Millivision near Lalbagh Main gate. I guess he would surely give you the best price for your Yoko's. He had received 83 sets of S - Drives last Saturday and every one of them was taken either by dealers (10 in Bangalore) I am expecting his call for the next set to arrive to change my tyres.
Old 21st December 2007, 15:01   #65
Senior - BHPian

Picasa Web Albums - Rakesh - Skoda Alloys

Yokohama ES 100 225/45/17

Razor Sharp Handling, good braking, good wet weather behaviour & great looks !!

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 21st December 2007 at 15:07.
Old 21st December 2007, 15:05   #66
Senior - BHPian

Maxxis 205/55/15
Great Handling
Low tyre noise
VFM
Good Braking/cornering

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 21st December 2007 at 15:08.
Old 22nd December 2007, 19:24   #67
BHPian

One of the tyre dealers in BLR told me that michelin has come out with Energy XM1 plus, when I asked for XM1s. Has anyone come across these? The michelin website has not mentioned anything about this.
Old 22nd December 2007, 20:09   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyper123,

I may be wrong but I thought that the 'new' XM1s are the Energy XM1s.
It may be branded as Energy XM1+ in other markets (e.g. Australia) which has led to the current confusion.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper123 View Post
One of the tyre dealers in BLR told me that michelin has come out with Energy XM1 plus, when I asked for XM1s. Has anyone come across these? The michelin website has not mentioned anything about this.
Old 22nd December 2007, 21:26   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hyper123,

I may be wrong but I thought that the 'new' XM1s are the Energy XM1s.
It may be branded as Energy XM1+ in other markets (e.g. Australia) which has led to the current confusion.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
There are now 3 different types of XM1, the XM1 which is available without the energy in sizes of 13" and below. The other is the Energy XM1 which is in14" and above. This has the silica compound.

The latest is the Energy XM1+ which is the new Energy series available in 14" and above.
Old 22nd December 2007, 21:54   #70
BHPian

Thanks. What is the price of the new one, Energy XM1+?
I'm guessing that the tread pattern is similar to the previous one?
Old 23rd December 2007, 13:49   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper123 View Post
Thanks. What is the price of the new one, Energy XM1+?
I'm guessing that the tread pattern is similar to the previous one?
Yesterday I went to a few dealers in Bangalore to replace my old, almost worn out Bridgestone S322 tubed tyres. I was quoted between 3350 and 3375 per tyre for Michelin Energy XM1+. Tread pattern is similar to the old Energy XM1 I'm told.
Old 23rd December 2007, 16:48   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartik Kumar View Post
Tread pattern is similar to the old Energy XM1 I'm told.
Tread pattern is the same. Only known difference till now is the increase in Tread Depth which will increase the life of the tyre.
Old 25th December 2007, 20:28   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Tread pattern is the same. Only known difference till now is the increase in Tread Depth which will increase the life of the tyre.
Ok, I hope so. Ideally they should last at least 35000 kms.

Will the dealer provide a original Michelin warranty card along with the tyres or is the bill for the tyres sufficient for any claims?
Old 26th December 2007, 02:18   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, I hope so. Ideally they should last at least 35000 kms.
Should last much more if your alignment/suspension is in order.

Quote:
Will the dealer provide a original Michelin warranty card along with the tyres or is the bill for the tyres sufficient for any claims?
Insist on the warranty card, the company insists on them too. Bill should normally suffice but the warranty card ensures that what you're buying is the official B&W product rather than a grey market alternative.
Old 26th December 2007, 12:55   #75
BHPian

Guys,

I got my balding Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD2 205/60/R15 replaced with Yokohama S Drives 205/55/R15 yesterday. The ride has improved tremendously & low infact negligible road noise as compared to the former. Very low rolling resistance I can feel the car's steering lighter than before everythings perfect and looking forward to enjoying my ride with my new set of tyres.

PS cost me Rs. 4500/piece plus Rs 750 for alignment and balancing. I got my set from Govind of Millivision near Lalbagh road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks