Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2007, 20:33   #16
Team-BHP Support

My fifth wheel is always an omnidirectional one.
When I was running Potenza GIII, the spare was a Goodyear ducaro in the same specs. It always remained a spare with potenza's being rotated.
They lasted 43K
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2007, 20:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Balancing, alignment and rotation should all be typically done at the same time. Most manufacturers recommend every 5000 kms. I follow a 10000km cycle as it also coincides with my car's servicing cycle.
Balancing need not be done as frequently as 5K KM because most often wheels get out of balance when the tyre is removed from the wheel and refixed. Else typically balance should not alter much. Whereas wheel goes out of alignment too often because of our bad road. Rotation is done to give each tyre uniform wear. Else typically front tyres are loaded more and wear out more than the rear.
Old 11th September 2007, 23:02   #18
Team-BHP Support

i agree with diesel fan in theory, but i was surprised with wheel balancing this time around on the swift d, either the ones where i fit the tyres were bad or the new tyres do lean towards imbalance quite fast.

my wheel balancing was off mark after 8 k kms. no punctures, regular psi checks. yes i had abused them quite a bit with frequent highway runs.
Old 12th September 2007, 08:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

Balancing also needs to be done every 5000 kms because of our road conditions. Like Jaggu has said even after a short while the wheel might become unbalanced.

It is not necessary for the wheel to be un-balanced only when the tyre is removed. There are a number of things that can cause this.
Old 12th September 2007, 11:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well mostly I've seen that on our roads a hard knock caused by going into a big pothole is usually enough to disturb the balancing of our wheels, so there is not really as such any set distance in our conditions.

However, I personally get the balancing done when I detect any steering vibrations during high-speed runs.
Old 19th September 2007, 11:08   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Most good tyres now-a-days are either unidirectional or asymmetric or both. When we go for such a set of tyres for our car we would invariably need a bidirectional and Symmetric tyre as a spare. Is there a way to avoid such requirement? If not then what do you folks do while buying new shoes for your car would you buy a bi-directional/symmetric tyre as a spare?

What? more confusion? There's already tonnes of info on this website to make you indecisive about what to buy & what not to buy & now this!

Good catch DieselFan

So do the XM1 & the ER60 belong to the uni-directional category? If so, any alternatives for these keeping in mind DieselFan's question?
Old 19th September 2007, 11:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

XM1 is an asymmetrical tyre not uni directional.
ER60 is a bi directional tyre.
Old 19th September 2007, 11:46   #23
BHPian

I am going to get a set of new tyres for my WagonR, as the rear tyres had inner shoulder wearout due to suspension problem. I have a doubt now that the front tyres are now (MIchelin, assymmetical tyres) 5000 km run, I would like to know where to fit the new tyres, front or back??

I did some research on the net and I found this following link, where in it suggested, the good tyres should be at the rear with some exceptions.

Tyres :: Tyre rotation

Please suggest.
Old 23rd September 2007, 19:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
XM1 is an asymmetrical tyre not uni directional.
ER60 is a bi directional tyre.
Say, is it ok to have 4 XM1s or ER60s & have a spare wheel with symmetrical/bi directional pattern. Use the spare for a short while till the punctured tyre is fixed....or does this create a problem?
Old 23rd September 2007, 21:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx71 View Post
Say, is it ok to have 4 XM1s or ER60s & have a spare wheel with symmetrical/bi directional pattern. Use the spare for a short while till the punctured tyre is fixed....or does this create a problem?
Use all 5 XM1s, they are assymetrical not uni directional. It just has that inside/outside funda which means the tyre should be mounted in correct way and u can put it in whichever side of the car u want.
Old 24th September 2007, 17:21   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Use all 5 XM1s, they are assymetrical not uni directional. It just has that inside/outside funda which means the tyre should be mounted in correct way and u can put it in whichever side of the car u want.

Thanks for saving me from doing additional research work on this
Old 8th October 2012, 19:41   #27
BANNED

Re: Asymmetric and Unidirectional tyres - What do we do for the fifth or spare tyre

Apart from issues in tyre rotation what are the main disadvantages of having a unidirectional tyre over asymmetric tyre.
Few positives of unidirectional tyres which I read are,
- short braking distance
-better in wet drives for water chanelling
& good cornering ability.

I have Bridgestone potenza my-01 vs Michelin xm2 for unidirectional vs asymmetric.
Which one is better?

Last edited by YVES : 8th October 2012 at 19:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks